Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Thanks… I made it a separate layer and played with the lighting settings and got it to look somewhat better. I took a screenshot, but it doesn’t look right in the picture. I wanted to give it a “glow” but I don’t think there’s any way to do that with a static image in megabezel. Maybe adding a ring of slight opacity in the overylaying image layer… I’ll play with it some more later. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hello @HyperspaceMadness - I wanted to let you know that in the “Potato-GDV-Mini” presets, unlike the basic “GDV-Mini” preset, masks number 9 and 10 are not present. Thanks for your attention and thanks for your work always.

4 Likes

Thanks for letting me know, I think I still need to update this to DariusG’s latest

3 Likes

1 Like

i personally play without bezels but i wanna thank you for the shader anyway since i found your integer scale implementation seems a lot more consistent and easy to control than retroarch’s frontend. for example, none of the psx emulators switch resolution automatically even when RA’s integer scaling is on, but it seem to work perfectly if i enable it through your shader instead! so basically i’ve been using your shader as a more complicated way to access Guest Advanced

5 Likes

Mega_Bezel_Logo

Mega Bezel is updated to V1.12.0_2023-03-11

MAKE SURE YOU UPDATE TO Retroarch 1.15 !!!

This will solve a lot of the flipping with 3D cores and also Auto Rotation for vertical games in FBNeo should also now work.

Changes:

• Fixed a performance issue where we were rendering more than we needed to
    • This should increase performance across most presets
  • Fixed color rainbowing in reflection for Guest-Advanced and LCD-GRID
  • Updated to crt-guest-advanced-2023-03-11-release1
  • Updated GDV-MINI from @ROBMARK85’s request

Go to the first post here for links to the package and install instructions. Please make sure to read the install & setup instructions

LCD Grid before, rainbows can be seen in reflection

LCD Grid after

14 Likes

Thank you very much - I’ll try it now. You are the number one !

2 Likes

I was reading the RA 1.15 notes and am really interested in the shader stacking feature, as I’m sure you all are. What an interesting idea and step forward for shadering!

My question is… for us average Joe types that don’t understand much of the science of the CRT and the RGB… what practical ways can we use the shader stacking to improve our console and arcade setups? Share your ideas! Thanks, guys! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

already played around with it ^^

there are so many ways now to use shaders that i first have to make a “road map” to make any ideas xD

@HyperspaceMadness congrats to the perfomance boost it runs now at full 4k just fine for me ^^

6 Likes

Yeah, go for it it’s a great way to try new things!

A word of warning about using it with the Mega Bezel… :warning:

Basically if you alter the shader chain --which is what will happen when you use the prepend feature–and then save a preset you will end up with a full preset, which means it will have no reference line and all the shader passes explicitly included. When the Mega Bezel is updated in the future and the base shader chains are adjusted this full preset you saved may not work quite right, and may even fail loading. :skull_and_crossbones: which will make you sad :cry:

So beware, the only safe way to work with presets and future updates to the Mega Bezel is to edit only parameters and texture paths and save simple presets. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the new update @HyperspaceMadness! Reflections are looking much better in this one!

1 Like

Anyone interested in the preset wildcard feature there is an explanation and details on which wildcards are supported in the pr on github, I’ll add it to the libretro help soon.

3 Likes

Hmm so in the past this needed to be off, and Settings / Core / Allow Rotation needed to be OFF in the retroarch settings, this is separate from the fbneo settings.

With this setup it works. Are you saying that it works with different settings?

You’re welcome! I’m glad it’s working for you, the performance improvement is definitely welcome :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Just an FYI after doing some more playing and observation last night I noticed that this is still happening. Not sure if the frequency or behavior has changed as its just some initial tests and osbervations but I was wondering if this was the same “color rainbowing in the reflection” that you were referring to or maybe something different.

I can post new screenshots and do some further investigation if necessary.

Off the top of my head, it “feels like” the behaviour might have changed and it’s no longer occurring in the same games and scenarios but still showing up in others.

1 Like

I Updated RA to use Mega Bezel V1.12.0_2023-03-11. But It seems to be a problem with RA 1.15.0. Windows failed to launch RA, or even if it does, It soon crashes and returns to Windows. Is this only happening to me? There’s no error message at all, so I can’t get any clue. everything is just fine with 1.14.0 now.

My system : Windows 10 / AMD 5600X / GTX3070Ti

Yeah if you can post a couple new images, and include settings from the preset you are using?

1 Like

Sure, I’ll do that when I get a chance.

hmm, I don’t have any problems.

Also you could rename your retroarch.cfg, then launch, then you will get fresh settings.

Is it a complete new install? If not I would try that.

If both those fail then I would try turning the logging on in the cfg file and then launch to see if you get any log.

I think these settings should do it: settings_show_logging = “false” frontend_log_level = “0” content_runtime_log = “true”

1 Like

@HyperspaceMadness

Do you think this is worthy of inclusion in the Mega Bezel?

This is a “looks good at viewing distance only” preset, since it only attempts to emulate the black space of a slotmask and not the individual phosphors. I’m not completely satisfied with the sharpness, but I think I’ve hit a point of diminishing returns as far as that goes. I think this is the most satisfying emulation of a slot mask possible at 1080p, personally. NTSC version shown here, but I have an RGB version as well.

Compare to this photo of a Commodore 1084 monitor (can anyone identify this game?)

Some additional Commodore monitor photos that @DariusG and @MajorPainTheCactus dug up can be found here

4 Likes

I think that’s Astal, Sega saturn

4 Likes