Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Wow! This sounds wild! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

In fact, some graphics in the current version of the package contain some points to improve and that were not thought for advanced functions of MegaBezel. Sorry about that.

I’m slowly working on updating these backgrounnds. HSM and other forum members encouraged me to separate the layers. First I’m updating some charts and then I need to run tests and see how they behave separately.

6 Likes

Sorry guys, last night I was tired and I was unable to upload anything, I apologize. Tonight if nothing happens I will. At the moment I will upload only Mega Drive settings, I improved scanlines, color and enhanced the quality image slightly a bit, now looks better. I’m working on Arcade Settings too and it will be the next step. Here are snapshots of Mega drive improved setting.

5 Likes

Yes, it’s a target display subpixel feature these masks use for a low level RGB…mask effect. For example masks 0 and 5 are very nice RGB masks with size 1.0, but standard enlargement makes them true magenta-green.

This would be nice indeed for new presets and should best include another control parameter, so existing presets or standard tweaking wouldn’t be affected. My concerns are it could get tricky as there are more viable ‘upgrade paths’ from 1080p to 4k. :grin:

4 Likes

Yeah, I totally get this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good Night everyone! As i promised, here is my first setting for the mega drive. I will insert in the pack more settings in the time being. You can check the link here…

1 Like

Now working on the arcade…

5 Likes

Snes starting to look cool as well…

4 Likes

Are you planning on doing presets for each individual system?

1 Like

Yes, because every system is different, and changes a bit in each system. I only have 4 original consoles right now, Pal Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, zx spectrum 128k+2A and an Atari 2600 (This last one I’m not sure if it’s working, because it’s been long I haven’t switched on lol) and these systems I’m going to make them the more realistic as possible. The other systems are based on my own perception of quality based on sega saturn original hardware, because I don’t own a Mega drive neither snes or other systems. So The more realistic approach you are going to see is Sega Saturn and Dreamcast.

4 Likes

Wow, just tried this shader for the first time in a long time, and it’s come a long way. Really loving the “Mega_Bezel_Packs” directory where you can just put your own directory, that is nice. Is there an expanded text tree of all the shader’s settings, that can be printed out ? For example, having a printed tree of shader values would make it a lot easier to scroll down the list, while in Retroarch, and also using a physical print-out to know where you are in the shader tree. Also, I am using an LG 4k OLED C1, and Retroarch’s HDR, Vulkan driver, but taking screenshots results in a solid black screen in the screenshots directory. While pressing PRTSC, and then importing that printscreen to Photoshop results in an extremely bright image for the emulated screen - the outside bezel, and background are normal brightness.

3 Likes

It’s all there in the Readme.md.

You can enable GPU screenshot in the settings and press F8 or use Quick Menu—> Take Screenshot.

1 Like

Just to say…thank you again for the exceptional MegaBezel. I can confirm that the latest version is far lighter compared to the previous one (it had led me to remove the reflectiosn in order to be up to speed). Latest version rocks.

4 Likes

Yeah thanks. It was already set to GPU screenshot, still didn’t work. I found the issue, it’s HDR. Switch it off, and screenshots work. Switch it on, and black screenshots again.

3 Likes

I don’t own a Snes, so what do you think in quality?

1 Like

What I would say is that this screenshot looks beautifully blended but it might perhaps be a little too blended and not crisp enough around the edges for users of certain display setups.

It might look excellent on a smaller screen or if viewed from a close distance but I’m almost certain that if I load this preset up on my 55" screen from 6-8ft away, the edges might look a bit blurry.

A good game to test sharpness is Super Mario World. The title screen especially. Also any game made by Nintendo which features cartoony graphics like Mario Kart. Those games really shine with sharper settings, while games that use more realistic graphics with higher colour counts and more blended and shaded edges, can hide sharpness issues.

I would say, don’t be afraid to push the sharpness (and this doesn’t mean the literal actual sharpness settings alone but any setting which could be softening the mask, so this could mean reducing some filtering or blur) a bit until you get it razor sharp even at the phosphor level, then maybe dial it back slightly other than I can’t really see anything else that I would change off the bat.

1 Like

How can I make it crispier? Mega Drive was easier. The internal resolution is @ 2.0

1 Like

Different ways,

Increasing NTSC Resolution Scaling, Increasing GTU resolution or disabling GTU. Reducing Halation, Reducing Bloom, Reducing Glow, Decreasing any setting which says Blur or Filtering, Increasing Horizontal Sharpness, Subtractive Sharpness and/or adjusting their Sigma or Range values.

Lastly, increasing Fast Sharpen but I don’t really recommend this as this tends to decrease contrast in the edges.

In many if not most of your screenshots the “phosphors” resemble a slightly out of focus photo of a CRT screen. Maybe you could try to get the “phosphors” in your screenshots to look more like a high quality macro photo of CRT phosphors instead when zoomed in.

1 Like

IMO it’s too much bloom. I’m not really a fan of bloom in shaders, it just makes everything look weirdly hazy to me. Different strokes for different folks and all that. I also prefer bigger scanline gaps, in your screenshots the scanline gaps are almost undetectable. Just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

Well I’ll keep trying. Mega Drive took me time as well, I’ll rest for now lol.

1 Like