Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Nope. Only image layer paths can be changed in simple presets. The preset will load, but the LUT is used in an early pass (Using the default reference.) so the change will not have an effect.

If you want to change a LUT you will have to save a full (Not simple) preset.

I expect a few changes to the shader soon, so now would not be a good time to do this, unless you want to never update the shader.

1 Like

Oh… Then there is a high possibility that MegaBezel’s Update will break it… :face_with_head_bandage:

understood.

As a request for MegaBezel, it would be nice to have 3-4 passes in the margins where additional shaders could be edited and filled in.

Well, I’m a strange person who likes to play handhelds with CRTs, so maybe I wouldn’t normally think about this… :joy:

@HyperspaceMadness @Cyber @Duimon
I learned a lot about MegaBezel.
thank you very much.

3 Likes

So this isn’t quite right, you can override any path used in the shader, including the LUT image paths

I tried replacing all the LUT paths and saw no change in the output. I assumed the changes had no effect.

I would like to try it, but this LUT has a size of 16. I have to remake it to 32….
I can’t blend with the BNES LUT…

Also, I have to recreate it from a monochrome screen…

1 Like

So I would not go this direction because it encourages users to edit the base presets which they should not do because their work will be overwritten whenever the Mega Bezel gets updated.

What could be possible for someone who wants to test things is to use my tools inside my git repo that I use to assemble the base presets presets to generate a new test preset. Perhaps with extra stock passes that you can change the paths.

The tools are in the github repo (it is not included in the releases). You can find them in Mega_Bezel/tools

Here’s a post about it, some info may be a bit outdated. If you want to ask questions about it, it would be good to do so on that thread.

Check the guest settings they have may have controls for the LUT size. I’m pretty sure there is some way to use different sizes.

2 Likes

Yeah those paths are technically no different than the image paths, there must be some other reason why it’s not working

I’m a little confused.

Wasn’t someone, within the last year, creating a crazy hybrid preset with all your default images in local paths, just to change a single LUT and survive an update?

I don’t remember a simple preset being offered as an alternative.

Yeah they made the paths local to their Mega_Bezel_Pack so the images would be independent from new Mega Bezel releases. I’m pretty sure all the presets ended up as simple presets.

Maybe I’m expecting too much of a change. As important as people seem to treat these LUTs, I assumed making some drastic change to them would show an obvious difference.

Maybe my old eyes are just not sensitive enough.

1 Like

So the LUT is only going to change the image when you change the lut options parameter in the guest parameters.

I tested it by taking one of the LUTs into photoshop Mega_Bezel/shaders/guest/lut/ntsc-lut.png and set LUT Colors to 4, and the colors did update

I’m sure we could probably add 16 as an option, what do you think @guest.r?

1 Like

wait I made a quick remake. 32.

It looks like it worked out fine. From 0 to 1.

2 Likes

the contents of 1.slangp.
Is it smarter to save directly as a core preset in this case?

It’s coded to handle different lut sizes, yes. It only needs parameter range and parameter step adjustments.

1 Like

ah.
The reason I remade it to 32 is that the SGB LUT and BNES LUT can’t be applied to both (the sizes are different), so I remade the SGB LUT to 32 and used the BNES LUT and Photoshop in some way I was thinking of blending.

I don’t think MegaBezel can use two LUTs at the same time, so I came up with this idea.

That’s interesting, you’ve use them blending them together before?

I haven’t experienced it. It probably won’t work.

So in the end, I thought it would be safer to just load the SGB LUT without the MegaBezel, then apply the BNES LUT shader over it, capture it and extract the color.

1 Like

So at the default 0.00 it doesn’t reference a LUT?

I changed it and got the obvious change I had been expecting. :grin:

Now I really have no idea why that user was going to such lengths to change a LUT path.

In any case, I am glad to be more informed.

@Ranmori… sorry to steer you wrong ( :frowning_face:) but I think having this open discussion was good for the community.

Given how important these LUTs can be I think this particular reference should be in the documentation.

1 Like

Yup that’s right at 0 there is no LUT applied

Yeah, and they are available for more than the Guest Advanced versions, everything which has the afterglow implemented will have it, which is everything except the passthrough, and possibly the Potato, which makes me think that it should probably be there too since it’s color correction.

3 Likes