Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Yes! I have been working away at the next step in the Mega Bezel evolution with the room bouncelight and generated shadows :grin:.

I’m not sure when the release will be, as I’m still in the experimental phase, but should be within the next number of months.

10 Likes

the next BIG step i would say :wink:

2 Likes

Hi, I’m a bit new to retroarch, I’ve been trying to make some overlays and was wondering if its possible to display an image after the shader has been applied so that the reflection affects the overlay/bezel but not the artwork? (if that makes sense)

1 Like

at the moment you can get this effect with some trickery and transparency on the overlay (thats the way some of mine overlays do this) but with the lighting / shadow update it will have options (normal / bumpmaps ) with way more impact on the overlays ; at least it is in the works :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m a bit confused. The reflection is limited to the “Bezel” portion of the generated bezel, not even affecting the “Frame” portion, let alone any artwork.

Perhaps you could post one of your overlays and explain a bit more what you are looking for.

There are many image layers available in the Mega Bezel and all of them can be layered above or below the reflection/CRT screen.

1 Like

So I spent a crap ton of time when I had free time this summer to put together something “new” here. I think it’s an amazing all inclusive system for MAME setups specifically combining OrionsAngels art with the Mega Bezel reflection shader. Anyone interested in what I put together, come check it out!

@HyperspaceMadness - a huge thanks to you for all the help in both thread replies and private messages as well. Your multigame config is an awesome solution that really works out great with how I put it together.

1 Like

Some progress on the room bounce lighting feature

These feature 3d elements from @blattacker who I want to give a big thank you to for supporting me in providing these great 3D renders to work with!

Here’s what his full 3D render looks like:

!

Mega Bezel Preset with black game image:

White game Image

Another Game image Preset_Texture_Full_Lighting_With_Shadow|690x388

Only Bounce Lighting

Untextured Lighting

Untextured Only Bounce Light

Untextured Only Bounce Light, increased brightness

Untextured Only Bounce Light, Increased Normals Strength

Untextured Only spot Lighting

Untextured, spot lighting with shadow

Untextured, spot lighting with shadow and Bounce

Height Shadows, still needs some more work

Normal Map from @blattacker

Depth/Height Map from @blattacker

20 Likes

This is getting amazing!

By the way, what a beautiful shelf in the image!! :star_struck: :star_struck:

7 Likes

Since this new lighting stuff will still be a while, could we get a smaller update with just the new guest advanced features in the meantime? Some real nice stuff in there I’d like to be able to use.

5 Likes

Absolutely next level!!! Amazing @HyperspaceMadness

1 Like

Cool!

Also… West Side Story right next to Men in Black indicates this person has some very diverse cinematic interests.

4 Likes

I’m surprised no one has asked if we will be able to customize the movie collection yet. :joy:

2 Likes

woohoo! We’re going to mars :grin: That looks really nice, thanks @HyperspaceMadness and @blattacker

2 Likes

That’s because everybody assumes It is automatically updated by the shader itself thanks to a local AI service running as a shader thread and based on the games we play :joy:

@HyperspaceMadness Looks good! Any chance to see a preview in motion?

3 Likes

Hi @HyperspaceMadness! I have been a huge fan of the Megabezel reflection shader for a while now, so, before my challenge / question: thank you very much for your hard work and dedication on this!

So I’ve been watching content that RetroCrisis puts up on YouTube (it’s how I found out about MegaBezel in the first place), and he recently featured a shader preset pack by Cyberlab: The Cybertron Death To Pixels shader pack. I am a huge fan of how clearly it presents the individual RGB beams and how great it looks on my HDR TV. I think it’s the best CRT shader I’ve ever seen.

The only thing holding it back from being my go-to preset for 16 bit emulation though is the lack of the bezels and reflections that I’ve grown accustomed to from your shader packs.

I did manage to get Megabezel working alongside the HDR Cybertron preset by using the “Prepend shader” under Shader options in Retroarch. However, this seems to have an effect on the size clarity of the RGB beams’ resolution - it makes the phosphors look blurred out compared to when running without Megabezel.

I assume this is because the Cybertron shaders are loading in addition to CRT shaders present in your Megabezel presets, causing an excessive blurring/dithering/etc.

So - I’m wondering whether there’s a way to decouple just the bezels and reflections, and use just those in conjunction with other shaders?

I hope my question makes sense, and thanks in advance if you can help at all :slight_smile:

2 Likes

First of all… let’s agree to call this a MegaTron shader preset. @MajorPainTheCactus is resposible for the shader, and “Cybertron” is just custom parameters.

The reason this clarification is important is to avoid confusion, and to support the realization that there are MegaTron presets in the MegaBezel.

If you load one of the Mega Bezel Megatron presets and save it.

(I would recommend \shaders_slang\bezel\Mega_Bezel\Presets\Base_CRT_Presets\MBZ__1__ADV__MEGATRON.slangp.)

You can convert one of the Cybertron presets to a PARAMS file by following my guide.

Params_02_Community_Derived_Params.md

Then add a second reference in the saved preset, pointing to your params file.

Before saving the Mega Bezel preset, you will need to enable HDR mode in the shader parameters. You may also want to disable curvature and integer scale, and set “Non-integer scale %” to 100.00.

This will give you just the side portions of the bezel and reflections while giving similar results to the Cybertron presets.

You can play with the curvature (A small amount may still work well.) and Non-integer Scale %.

The point is that, because of @HyperspaceMadness’ hard work, it is mostly possible to do what you ask without “decoupling” anything.

I say “mostly” only because I am not sure how much @MajorPainTheCactus has updated his shader since it was integrated into the Mega Bezel.

2 Likes

Thank you! It should be even better in future updates, there have been a few really important changes made to the scene as a whole (that have also, unfortunately, made it take longer to render :sweat_smile:

That would be my dad for you ahaha! All the movies and CDs in the scene are based on (and scans of, in a lot of cases) the actual movies and music my parents had growing up.

I have legitimately wondered if that would be possible. Right now, the way the project is set up, absolutely not, it would involve completely rerendering the scene with the new files, and the renders are taking upwards of 40 hours each at this point, but who knows what the future holds?

3 Likes

You could render the spines in a 50% gray, and composite spine art on them in post. Then use an additional image layer with additive blending to apply them in the shader.

The additive blending mode will preserve the rendered shadows and lighting.

3 Likes

I see I have started something here… :laughing:

2 Likes

Some more experiments and some videos

MegaBezel_RoomBounce_Textured_SF2

MegaBezel_RoomBounce_WhiteMaterial_SF2_2023-10-28.mp4

Mega Bezel Room Bounce Textured

And this is what the base texture looks like before lighting and shadows applied

17 Likes