Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

1 Like

I’m thoroughly enjoying this parameter tweaking. But I am stuck on something (perhaps not possible?).

I have made the bezel considerably wider than it is high, reduced the frame thickness and increased the NIS%, so I have almost a wide-screen effect without changing the game aspect ratio. But I would really like to adjust that corner reflection position/angle so that it correctly meets the corner of the bezel. Which parameter settings should I be looking at please?

[ REFLECTION CORNER ]:

• Corner Fade
    • How much should the corner fade out
  • Corner Fade Distance
    • The distance from the corner where the reflection fully fades out
  • Corner Inner Spread
    • How much the inner corner reflection spreads out
  • Corner Outer Spread
    • How much the outer corner reflection spreads out
  • Corner Rotation Offset Top
    • Adjust the rotation of the highlight in the top corners
  • Corner Rotation Offset Bottom
    • Adjust the rotation of the highlight in the bottom corners
  • Corner Spread Falloff
    • Controls the profile of the falloff, small values make falloff faster near the center.
2 Likes

And BTW, no hard feelings.

Hopefully by now you will have realised that I am not the type of person who just lazily asks questions without first making as much effort as possible to find an answer. It’s just that, sometimes, when one is trying to teach oneself a new skill and getting nowhere (especially if starting from completely the wrong starting point meaning that the attempts will always be futile) it really does seem like my haystack analogy. This current question being a good example because I am sure I read somewhere that this corner reflection was called the ‘crease’? But I have looked through the glossary several times now and can’t find references to a crease so I must be thinking of something else.

I’m glad I could help.

2 Likes

Mega_Bezel_Logo

Mega Bezel is updated to V1.15.0_2023-11-25

Changes:

• Updated to Guest Advanced crt-guest-advanced-2023-11-24-release1
  • Updated to latest Grade
  • Grade Color Temperature set to 7200
  • Removed Viewport Scaling on Final pass, should fix HDR for the Megatron presets , @c9f5fdda06 & @soqueroeu could you let me know if this works for you?
  • Fixed the first Sharpen Parameters in the list
  • Made the LCD Preset a more reasonable brightness, it was really overly bright before
  • Removed Auto Mask scaling between 2k and 4k because it was starting to seem extra complex now that new mask scaling has been added in advanced. If lots of people still want this, let me know

Go to the first post here for links to the package and install instructions. Please make sure to read the install & setup instructions

15 Likes

This one doesn’t have the light bounce yet, right?

edit Also… what was the HDR issue? I’d like to test that. Couldn’t find the original comments.

1 Like

With this release there so much stuff improved also for the megatron preset, especially with new ntsc.

Not a fun of the 7200 default, it’s that middleground that for fidelity one would still lower to reach U or up to reach J, so is a bit weird.

Now i have improved drastically the megatron preset i had before, thanks so much!

1 Like

i think there is a sort of light bouncing on the screen named surrounded lights, but i didn’t find the depth backgrounds yet.

That’s right, this is an extended release branch off of the previous release with the new guest and grade.

The main branch in the repo has the light bounce stuff which is very much WIP at this point and not optimized yet.

I think the Megatron presets were not working in HDR because the scaling of the last pass was set to viewpoint (which is not supposed to affect anything but does)

Yeah it’s kind of a middle ground, because the new version of grade had it set to like 8600. I also find that at 6500 things look sort of too warm and a bit yellow. And most of the golden age, 8 & 16 bit were developed in Japan where a higher white point is more common, which is my guess as to why a white point higher than 6500 seems better.

3 Likes

Oh ok… I don’t use the Megatron presets so I shouldn’t notice any changes. Thanks.

1 Like

I think you chose the right white point and phosphor settings if we’re going by US NTSC standards. According to Dogway those two pretty much go together. If you were going for the PAL look then either p22 80s or smpte 470bg with a white point of 6900 would’ve been the right combo once again according to Dogway.

The only other thing I wish is you would’ve made the Display Color Space setting default to -1:709 instead of sRGB. In my opinion -1:709 is the “modern” version of sRGB for modern displays that I assume we’re all pretty much gaming on. Plus it gives a nice brightness boost by default.

sRGB:

-1:709:

2 Likes

Ah right, this is why I chose this, because of this bit of info from Dogway + my own eyeballs.

I’ll have to think about this, if this is really the more likely output space most users have,then I would probably go with that. But just looking at that comparison,it looks like some of the dark tones are being pushed brighter and stand out more than I would expect, (I’m currently looking at a Galaxy S20 OLED screen)

sRGB

2 Likes

Same on my Samsung Galaxy A71 OLED Screen.

Since Mega Bezel Reflection Shader seems to be more all encompassing when it comes to compatibility and usability, I’d have to side with sticking with sRGB as the default which is a very common colourspace that many monitors have decent support for.

Us shader preset pack creators and end users themselves will always be free to customize as we/they see fit, while the base presets should always aim for an, “It just works!” sort of ethos.

It would of course be different if there was a bug or defect that needs to be addressed via a change in default settings.

Just my humble opinion.

@sonkun What I’ve done with my preset pack is created my own sub-base presets where I can easily alter defaults and address changes to the Main Mega Bezel base presets, without having to touch many individual presets.

So basically none of my end user presets reference the Mega Bezel base presets directly. Only my sub-base presets reference Mega Bezel Base presets.

1 Like

@HyperspaceMadness and @Cyber yeah it was more a suggestion if anything. I mentioned it mainly also due to Dogway when he posted up a preset using that color space saying his display was capable of handling 709. I then checked my set up and realized it uses 709 the whole time and I’ve also been using srgb prior, ended up switching over.

Did some research on it and from what I remember reading (it’s been a while since I read about it) is that it pretty much is srgb slightly modified and that most modern display uses that color space. Could be wrong but it’s a interesting topic none the less.

3 Likes

I think like @Cyber said

But I’m in favor of testing a lot of things before defining what will come by default. What someone may think is best, may not work with all systems/games.

Particularly, I think that current displays deal with brightness very well and we would hardly lose anything because of it. To tell the truth, I even think retrogames are prettier with this more shaded pattern.

Comparing the images, I see that some dark tones have become grayish. If we could only lighten what needs to be lightened and not the entire scene, that would be great. :v: :blush:

3 Likes

Gamma_C and/or Bright Boost (Bright Pixels) and Bright Boost (Dark Pixels) might be somewhat selective in their brightening algorithms.

1 Like

Yeah I would try to choose the settings which would be the most common

2 Likes

Additionally, I recommend sticking to the default look of the guest shaders because it seems to be the most appealing due to the balance it strikes with realism and usability/brightness. (it’s bright, no screen door effects, etc)

1 Like

Loving this new update, but still finding it lacking with regards to noise, as far as getting a more “lively” and natural feel without looking completely trashed. Manually setting HSM_SIGNAL_NOISE_AMOUNT to 0.005 (¼ of the lowest it lets you set in the UI) seems alright, but doesn’t have enough “sparkle” to it. Anything higher increases the black level way too much, especially when trying to use it alongside the new base mask setting.

Would it be possible to adjust how this works so you can add higher transient noise spikes with more distinct colors while keeping a low overall black level? This is kind of how I’d expect the “Noise Type: COLORED” setting to work but it seems that only adds noise to already-lit pixels based on their brightness.

On a similar note, it would be really cool to be able to get some of the horizontal movement/shaking noise that you can see all over this video: SUPER METROID - SONY PVM-14L5 - 240P - SCANLINES IN 4K60!! - YouTube

I’m not sure if that’s signal noise or power line noise or something else in the console or CRT’s circuitry, but it gives the whole thing a really charming and authentic feel that would be great to get in Mega Bezel.

Thanks for all the great work, and good luck!

1 Like