Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Is there any possibility of bringing back these settings (halation strength and rolling scan) in the preset “MBZ__2__ADV-SCREEN-ONLY-SUPER-XBR__GDV”, removed in the latest versions?

To you @hyperspacemadness, to you @duimon, to you @guest.r and to all those who collaborated on all this (there are many of you) a heartfelt thank you. I’m feeling a bit like a child again through your work and it’s wonderful. PS of course Akuma beat me up, but as a teenager I loved throwing myself into unequal and unlikely fights :smiley:

8 Likes

Hi guys, thank you all for your amazing work! I’m sure you saved many people a lot of back pain carrying CRTs to their apartments. I’m completely new to Retroarch but so far I’ve managed to successfully use the Mega Bezel shader, Duimon’s MB graphics shader and Cyberlab’s MB presets shader.

Is it possible to combine Duimon’s MB shader with Cyberlab’s presets for a noob like me? I already tried using the Cyberlab shader and Duimon’s graphics as an overlay but as you probably know the overlay sits on top of everything and covers up the “Mega Bezel” part. I imagine the order of shader passes has something to do with it but I would need to split their shaders apart and fuse them together somehow. Would this be hard? Are there any good tutorials for what I want or is this outside the scope of an average user?

Thanks.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the kind words! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I think @Duimon should have some direction as to how to hook this up to his collection :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I created a complete set of Duimon’s graphics with CyberLab. The way I did it is simply a slangp file with the paths to CyberLab slangp and Duimon params.

#reference "../../../../CyberLab/MBZ__3__Standard_Full_Reflections/1080p_Optimized_Presets/CyberLab__Ultimate_Virtual_Slot_Mask_CRT-1P2RTA__ADV.slangp"
#reference "../../../../Duimon-Mega-Bezel/Params/Standard/Nintendo_N64/N64-[STD]-[Guest]-[Bezel].params"

HSM_INT_SCALE_MAX_HEIGHT = "98.000000"
4 Likes

This is exactly what I explained in a bit more detail here:

1 Like

Got it!

This is heaven, dude. A massive thank you to everyone for all the work they’ve put into this and for distributing it with everyone for free. Is it possible to donate to any of the people/groups?

3 Likes

I appreciate screenshots and videos!

4 Likes

Good evening everyone, I wanted to point out that I noticed, still using the mythological “smooth_adv” preset, that with resolutions higher than 640x480 it darkens the image excessively and creates a kind of artifacts, and therefore in these cases, as done in the past on these presets, I set the mask 2 two and the situation has greatly improved. I attach a link with photos, the first is no. 1 mask and the second is number 2, tested on the Gamecube platform. I don’t know what exactly changes between the two masks, but I wanted to share my experience.

1 Like

I was working on my personal video “website” and thought of using dominant color in the cover image as a color, which got me looking for a program that does that. I found Color Thief which gets multiple different colors from the loaded image.

This made me think of when Duimon had done his Bezel Project Script to do something similar. So I just came up with my own bezel settings and thought to post a link to those who would want to check it out.

The Bezel Project Example

https://lokeshdhakar.com/projects/color-thief/

#reference "shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets/MBZ__3__STD__GDV.slangp"
HSM_NON_INTEGER_SCALE = "99.400000"
HSM_CURVATURE_2D_SCALE_LONG_AXIS = "75.000000"
HSM_CURVATURE_2D_SCALE_SHORT_AXIS = "85.000000"
HSM_TUBE_BLACK_EDGE_CORNER_RADIUS_SCALE = "140.000000"
HSM_BZL_WIDTH = "35.000000"
HSM_BZL_INNER_CORNER_RADIUS_SCALE = "196.000000"
HSM_BZL_NOISE = "10.000000"
HSM_BZL_COLOR_HUE = "5.000000"
HSM_BZL_COLOR_SATURATION = "52.000000"
HSM_BZL_COLOR_VALUE = "64.000000"
HSM_FRM_OPACITY = "0.000000"
HSM_FRM_INNER_EDGE_THICKNESS = "0.000000"
BackgroundImage = "Beavis and Butt-Head (USA).png"
3 Likes

Hey everyone, I’ve got a really obscure issue here. I’ve been playing SNES games with the Nintendo_SuperNintendo-[Special_Purple]-[FLAT].slangp shader and the bsnes core, with the aspect ratio mode set to PAR for most games since I prefer the way it looks in 8:7 (4:3 just looks too squished to me). While messing around in Dragon Quest 1+2 I noticed that the very top border on the in game menu was cut off, and I narrowed it down to the Crop Overscan core option, set to 8 pixels, snipping it off. I’m not sure why I had it enabled but I feel like at some point in the past I thought it was essential for these megabezels to function properly. With this setup I had a resolution of 765x670, Int Scl Horz 2.98, Int Scl Vert 3 and a Final Aspect ratio of 1.14.

After turning it off, the image looked crushed, so I checked the shader overlay and disabling Crop Overscan had changed the Final Aspect ratio from the previous 1.14 to 1.06. I tried changing the Aspect Mode to Explicit and manually setting the ratio to 1.14, the closest resolution being 766x670, but this clearly still looked off from what I was seeing previously and now the Int Scl Horz value was 3 and Int Scl Vert was 2.79, even though the Final Aspect ratio was still displaying as 1.14.

As a last ditch effort, I tried to alter the explicit aspect ratio so the Int Scl Horz and Int Scl Vert values would be similar to what I had originally (2.98/3, a difference of 0.02), which yielded a resolution of 715x670, Int Scl Horz 2.77, Int Scl Vert 2.79 and a Final Aspect ratio of 1.06.

This LOOKS far closer to what I had at the very start, but I’m confused because according to the overlay, my resolution and final aspect ratio are waaaaay off from what they were originally. My goal with this is to not have anything I SHOULD be seeing cropped out of the image but still maintain an 8:7 aspect ratio so nothing is squished or stretched. Am I misunderstanding something completely or is the final image close to what I should be seeing?

You could use the Overscan Setting to see if there is anything being clipped off.

Mega_Bezel_Logo

Mega Bezel is updated to V1.17.1_2024-04-14

Changes:

• Fixed NTSC variants
  • Added Raster Bloom neutral range
  • Fixed DREZ presets resampler, the resampler was never worked at least recently

Go to the first post here for links to the package and install instructions. Please make sure to read the install & setup instructions

I’ll add some images soon…

16 Likes

I’ll also mention that for those who like to play with the drez/downampling that I separated out a version of the downsample which is really @guest’s sharp resampler in the shaders_slang/downsample/drez folder(out something like that)

Also Hyllian added a bunch of presets in here too for downampling if you’re interested.

7 Likes

Amazing stuff!! Yr dedication is next level!

3 Likes

I’m also working on a 2-pass dynamic size lanczos resampler (as an upgrade to g-sharp resampler). It looks promising so far.

Example:

ordinary filter range:

extended filter range:

It should be faster and easier to use.

9 Likes

Great things lie ahead for the future, at an already very high moment for the world of RetroGaming. Thank you for what you have done and for what you will do. I will always be grateful to you.

4 Likes

@Duimon @HyperspaceMadness Hey guys, I’ve been trying to set it up for the Sinden gun but having the border not completely 16:9 and covering the full screen messes the aim up as soon as you reach the sides of the 4:3 area, are you guys aware of this? Do you know how to use the Sinden border from the Shader parameters directly instead of the full border as overlay?

normally it aims fine i only play with overlays and 4:3 aspect,
you can even enable a 4:3 border with the sinden software ^^

did you recalibrate the gun if you use a 4:3 aspect ? also in MBZ settings keep the border as bright as possible , and depending on your tv/monitor size have the border set at least around 2 - 2.5 wide on smaller displays

for me everything works with the border MBZ draws … .if i understand it right you want the drawn border alone ?

you could make a screenshot cutout everything besides the border and use this as overlay :thinking:

2 Likes

Hey, no I want to use the HSM bezels with the included border in the shaders, actually I managed to fix it, in the Sinden software, in the offsets tab you actually need to click the button “offsets from 16:9 to 4:3” (or something similar), this will automatically populate several offset fields according to what your set screen size is. But unfortunately that makes 16:9 games rather unplayable (for now I am just setting all the older 4:3 platforms so it’s fine for me.

1 Like