Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

You can set it above one to about 3 (after that I don’t see any difference). There is a preset in the variations folder which already has this set up.

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll update this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi! I’m very new to retroarch, and this is my first time using the libretro forums. I liked the look of your shaders, and was wondering how to use them in retroarch. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

All you have to do is download the shader pack and copy the “shader” directory to the root of your RA folder, where the exe is. Now while in RA, switch the driver to Vulkan if supported by your card. Then open up a game, open the menu:

shader -> load preset -> navigate to the “bezel” directory and select a preset.

There are more detailed instructions on the first post of this thread.

3 Likes

Thank you! This update changed everything. I will have to rewrite all my presets but is for better quality of life.

2 Likes

Ah very good! It’s definitely a growing pain to have to redo the presets, but things will stay stable from now on in terms of all the parameters, so you won’t have to do it again.

And with the simple presets your presets will accommodate new updates without having to redo things.

4 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness Is there a way to tone down the pixel sharpness? :thinking:

Compare the two screenshots in fullscreen, otherwise you might not see the difference much. Especially look at the texts.

Old HSM Shader

New HSM Shader

1 Like

@HyperspaceMadness

I think I found a bug? When trying out MBZ__3__BASIC-BORDER-WITH-REFLECT.slangp two borders appear. I did a clean install just in case and still happens. It also occurs with MBZ__3__BASIC-BORDER-WITH-REFLECT__GUEST-DrVENOM.slangp

https://i.imgur.com/WCfN8oj.png

1 Like

You’re right, they do look significantly different :(.

I had to do some surgery on the LCD shader when I implemented the mega bezel texture sampling (The stuff that handles all the cropping, core res multiple & dual screen magic) and I it’s not quite right. I’ll definitely put this on my list of things to address.

The problem was that the original shader was using a direct texel lookup with texelFetchOffset which accesses the coordinates in a different way than I’m used to, so it was a little confusing to figure out how to replace it. I got something working but it’s obviously not quite right.

I’m sure I can figure something that works properly I’ll just have to go back to the working version and replace parts out bit by bit with testing.

2 Likes

Ok yeah I need to set the aspect ratio to use the explicit 4:3, since that is what the background texture has in it, it is using the auto aspect ratio which is almost square for the gameboy

2 Likes

Where did you find this overlay?

1 Like

It is part of a still unfinished project that I am trying to finish someday! :confused:

2 Likes

Hey @HyperspaceMadness how do you usually play ps1 games? Like what kind of shader do you use? I like the standard bezel preset but is there a way to smooth out the 3d graphics? I have internal res x8 and supersampling but even with that looks blurry. I guess it was how ps1 graphics were back in the day i just don’t remember.

2 Likes

Personally, I usually play PS1 games in the default internal resolution and the DrVenom preset. I like the nostalgia. :wink:

2 Likes

The blurriness is probably caused by the low res textures these games used, so unless you get an upscaled texture pack, they are going to be blurry even if you can get the 3D geometry of the characters to render with clean edges by increasing the internal res. So without something like that (which only helps the textures, not the actual roughness of the geometry) you are probably better off with showing them at default internal resolution and a crt shader which can help hide some of the low res nature. Here’s an example of what I mean https://www.reshdp.com/re2/

One thing you can do if you want to have the geometry not as crunchy on the edges is you can use internal res at an increased res e.g. 4x this will create a core image with cleaner edges, then you reduce Opposite Direction Multiplier in the shader to 25 to get back to the original vertical resolution which will get you some scanlines back, and you can play with “Scanline Direction Multiplier” as well to see what you like the look of. You can also turn on GTU to get some horizontal blurring which you might need.

Yeah a good CRT filter is helpful for these since they were so rough.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the information. I guess it’s something it grows on you when you actually play the game instead of doing tests like im doing lol oh I’ll give that one a try @Duimon do you upscale your game + super sampling or you go raw raw?

Edit : never mind @Duimon you already answered my question lol

1 Like

I’m not against improving the graphics a little bit. I tried HSM’s suggestion and I can only do 2x so it’s not a fair test. (I need to get a new GPU soon, my 1070 is wearing on me.)

I do xBR and all the PGXP stuff to make up for the Playstation’s lack of Mip Mapping.

2 Likes

Mega Bezel is updated to V 0.9.02 2020-04-07

Changes:

• Reduced passes of BASIC-BORDER-WITH-REFLECTION, performance increased by 6%
  • Fixed Night Lighting not at full strength
  • Added Aspect Ratio for the background image in the BASIC-BORDER
  • Added Aspect Ratio for the background image in the BASIC-BORDER-WITH-REFLECT

Performance of Base presets at 3840x2160 on Nvidia RTX2060:

• ADVANCED ------------------------------------------ 80 FPS - No comparable old preset
  • GLASS --------------------------------------------------- 150 FPS - Old Glass Preset --------------- 128 FPS
  • STANDARD -------------------------------------------- 135 FPS - Old Full Preset ------------------ 140 FPS
  • BASIC-BORDER-WITH-REFLECT --------- 166 FPS - Old Reflect Only Preset ------165 FPS
  • BASIC-BORDER -------------------------------------- 295 FPS - Old Screen Scale Preset ---- 370 FPS
9 Likes

That second shot looks actually pretty nice and maybe even more “realistic” than the default one.

2 Likes

Thank you very much!!! It’s time to update! :star_struck:

2 Likes

Hi @JuRaSSiCBoY I also fixed the issue with the PAL resolution and the auto aspect ratio you were running into, so it should not change on you anymore in that situation.

3 Likes