Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Unless you feel the urge to add another LCD shader into the pipeline. :wink:

1 Like

I wouldn’t be against it if there’s a good option out there that functions better at small scales, although it wouldn’t be a 3 element lcd though because at that scale there isn’t enough resolution for that.

1 Like

@HyperspaceMadness Thanks for the information. So I went into to Duimon’s shader, changed the Integer Scaling Mode to 2 and Set the X and Y scanlime multipliers to 100 (the same as they are in your Dual Screen-DS_MBZ_2_STANDARD_LCD-GRID Preset that I screenshot earlier).

Here is the result:

It looks good, just like it did in your preset. The major difference being the screen size has changed and there is more bezel down the bottom.

I tried to do this for the bottom screen only but it ended up splitting the bottom image between the two screens, so I think I went wrong along the way :confounded:

@Duimon

That and the integer scaling…I think you’ve got it figured out now though :slightly_smiling_face:

I did see that and I thought to myself…“Yep, I’m going to be the awkward s*** who wants to change it…after this person has done such amazing work”

Sorry…it’s so close to perfect, I couldn’t leave it haha

I think this may be a winner personally. It’s debatable for the purists I’m sure but like you mentioned before your graphics are more of an artistic representation and it that benefits functionality…I think that wins the debate.

@akuma22

@HyperspaceMadness moved the conversation to this thread instead as we were getting into more shader specifics rather than Duimon’s graphics…in this case you probably need to look at both though ha. Thanks for pointing out what would normally have been a mistake.

3 Likes

I’ve been messing around with the DS preset a bit, 2 questions

Is there a way to completely remove the LCD Grid?

How would I make the colors look “normal” again? I tried messing around with the saturation and vibrance settings, but it still looks kinda flat compared to no shader.

1 Like

Yeah I do find the LCD shader does change the colors significantly, I think this was probably on purpose, but I find it is a bit much of a color shift sometimes.

It also currently has some color settings which were originally meant for the GBA, LCD_RSUBPIX_R = 0.75 LCD_GSUBPIX_G = 0.75 LCD_BSUBPIX_B = 0.75

You could try setting this to 1

Inside the preset you can switch the shader reference from the LCD to Guest-DrVenom instead

I’m looking at a couple of the other LCD shaders to see if there are some options with less artifacts . I found a couple which seem like they give a different effect, but less artifacts:

• LCD 3x
  • Sameboy lcd
2 Likes

I ran across those two as alternatives also but It looked like every single LCD shader seemed to suffer (In DeSmuME.) from non-integer. Though those two maybe a bit less.

I really like the bevel.slang for it’s simplicity.

@lilbud

Have you tried a simple gamma adjustment?

If you go to the LCD Gamma parameter and simply press the “start” button on your gamepad, (For default values.) it seems like the shader isn’t using the default value because it changes.

In any case, there is also a “CRT Gamma” above the Dogway stuff. It helps a bit too.

Default Gamma.

Adjusted Gamma.

If you scroll up a bit you can see a shot where I switched the reference to DrVenom and turned off scanlines. IMHO it looks too saturated.

@HyperspaceMadness

I think the LCD-GRID is actually broken. :frowning_face:

If you look at the above shots you can see some pretty serious banding.

Here is a shot from the old shader version.

The color is better and there is absolutely no banding. :astonished:

Edit: I spoke too soon my friend. If you load the regular LCD-GRID instead of the split screen you get low saturation and as you scale there is all sorts of banding. The banding goes away when you get to this size though.

It’s weird that the color is so much better with the split screen on.

2 Likes

The solution is to use the Dual-Screen-DS__MBZ__2__STANDARD__LCD-GRID preset from the variations folder, this is the only way I have found to get the colors right.

1 Like

Hi @akuma22 ,

Could you please check if the name is correct?

Within Variations folder I have three Dual-Screen-related presets.

• Dual-Screen__MBZ__2__STANDARD__GUEST-DrVENOM.slangp
  • Dual-Screen-3DS__MBZ__2__STANDARD__LCD-GRID.slangp
  • Dual-Screen-DS__MBZ__2__STANDARD__LCD-GRID.slangp

I am afraid I see no color difference using it as a reference or loading it directly. :frowning_face:

Please ignore my previous post

1 Like

Big mistake of mine, the one that works is the Dual-Screen__MBZ__2__STANDARD__GUEST-DrVENOM.

I know it from @AcidCrash because he put it in your post and I tried it and it worked for me, I tried the configuration that he put and it works perfect.

Where’s the setting to switch the reference shader? I actually don’t see any mask options in the shader parameters.

3 Likes

To change the shader preset which is being referenced you need to edit the preset file in a text editor and change the path to a different preset.

3 Likes

This week unfortunately i’m very busy and I could not test a few things that I had talked to with Duimon :slight_smile:

This morning, I went to test some adjustments and I came across the following situations …

1. I noticed that the Retro Core based on the PSX Mednafen HW emulator does not work with Vulkan standard when we enable HSM Shader, only in OpenGL mode, the same is valid for PCSX2 that only works with D3D11, Software and OpenGL

2. I noticed that when we enable OpenGL the artwork (I am using the beautiful arts created by the duimon), they rotate (getting upside down) so it is necessary to make a vertical viewport flip through the HSM shader so that the background image with the correct view.

3. I noticed that “DUCKSTATION RetroCore” crash after set “Internal Resolution” above 2x (maybe it’s a question of my HW limitation)…

Note: Without Shader i can keep up to 16x the internal resolution with use of GPU very low… i noticed in the PCSX2 that the Shader, scale up with the internal emulator resolution correct? And that makes Retroarch require a lot more GPU power correct?

For now that’s it, Duimon sent me a link I intend to read calmly and that will bring me more knowledge about this incredible work done through HSM Shader, who brought a new life to my emulators ^.^

1 Like

I changed the reference shader preset in the “duimon/advanced/NDS.SlangP” file and it broke the shader entirely. The overlay is gone and now it just stretches the image to the monitor. (DS Vertical preset still works fine.)

If I change the reference line back to “#reference “:/shaders/shaders_slang/Duimon/Duimon_Advanced_LCD.slangp””, the DS preset works as normal with the overlay and the bezels.

2 Likes

It is likely that you used the wrong path for the reference. Double check it and try again. If it was anything else, such as an extra parameter, it would be ignored.

You can turn on verbose logging per HSMs instructions, to see if it was an image path.

1 Like

double checked and the path is correct

all it does is load Guest Dr. Venom shader and doesn’t do any of the graphics or bezel stuff.

I tried switching to Duimon_Advanced.slangp and it loads the shader properly, but each screen shows both

1 Like

Yeah. You can’t reference just any shader. You have to reference one of HSM’s.

\shaders\shaders_slang\bezel\Mega_Bezel\Presets

So… #reference ":\shaders\shaders_slang\bezel\Mega_Bezel\Presets\MBZ__1__ADVANCED.slangp"

or your choice.

2 Likes

Are you starting with my Advanced NDS.slangp?

If I simply delete the “_LCD” from the reference line,

Duimon_Advanced_LCD.slangp

becomes

Duimon_Advanced.slangp

I get this.

Manually editing presets takes practice and patience. :grin:

1 Like