Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

MAME current can do funny things unless the core is set to use “alternate renderer”, depending on the game you are trying to run.

What game were you trying to load?

Forever is kind of vague. The shader has a lot going on and, unlike Retroarch in general, can have some beefy system requirements. The Advanced presets, even on a fast computer, will take longer to load than you might expect.

This isn’t unusual, other shaders with a lot of parameters, like Royale, can take some time to compile.

2 Likes

I just picked a random game to see if it worked, I think it was the 2 on 2 hockey arcade game. My preset was set to the Advanced one. It launched fine before setting HSM, now it takes about 10 to 15 sec to load or set the right resolution. I was reading the forums and people have been having issues with the scalefx and resolution? What presets need for that to be changed, so the upscaling isn’t 12k or 8k lol

2 Likes

If the difference between launching with the Mega Bezel ADV preset and launching without any shader set is about 15 seconds, this is probably just the time to compile the shader and load the images

This only happens with cores which do their own internal resolution scaling, e.g. 4x Internal Resolution. The average MAME game is probably a golden age game so 224x256 or something like that which doesn’t have a problem with the upres step in the shader chain (E.G. for ScaleFX).

The problem with higher internal resolution scaling is usually on the 3d cores and later, e.g. PS1, n64 and later. In those situations you can:

• Use one of the HD-CORE presets (these don’t have scalefx upscaling)
  • Use one of the DEREZ presets (these reduce the resolution coming out of the core to a reasonable size in the first pass.)
2 Likes

I really need to get a LauchBox install configure to run the shader. So I can make an educated guess.

Neither SNES9x or MAME have internal upscaling. (The high-res thingy in SNES9x doesn’t count.)

Are you using LaunchBox or BigBox? If it is BigBox I suspect it’s rendering engine is different enough to cause the glitches you are seeing.

1 Like

Okay That makes sense. Thank you I will try the HD CORE presets and see if that helps. I know I upscaled n64 through the retroarch options where you can change the settings for each game. I thought I upscaled other platforms too can’t remember which ones. Just wanted everything upscaled lol

It was Launchbox, I was just testing it to see if the game ran with my settings. I didn’t try bigbox yet. It’s probably some settings I fooled around with. I just thought it was the resolution/scalefx issue I read about. I’m not very computer savvy lol just an assumption

1 Like

@HyperspaceMadness Creating a custom BigBox theme is on my list of future projects. Since I will eventually have a need, no time like the present, I will get a LaunchBox install configured to run these shaders so I can be more help answering these questions.

4 Likes

Go Launchbox!!!

One of the new bigbox themes “pulse” looks pretty great although I haven’t loaded it yet :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Cool!

I use the Aeon MQ7 skin in Kodi and there is an existing, not very mature BigBox theme that is a clone.

My plan is to continue development on it or develop my own based on MQ8 or the soon to be released MQ9.

I currently use a Kodi addon to launch games but support for it is dwindling. There is a LaunchBox launcher addon that I may try using as an alternative when I start doing some more R&D.

I keep hoping that Kodi moves closer to Libretro integration but I don’t see a lot of progress on that front. It would be very cool to be able to use the built-in Kodi menus and assets for launching games.

2 Likes

Something werid just happened.

I just downloaded the latest version of RA (reports as 1.9.8) and I can no longer see or load any *.slang shader.

Every folder just seems to be empty altough the shaders are there

2 Likes

I think you need to switch your video driver:

1 Like

Crap, you’re perfectrly right! The default video driver is gl. Thanks.

2 Likes

There are Darius games series and The Ninja Warriors as well, Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga Episode III and a few others, but I don’t have the names right now.

2 Likes

While the physical machines may have had three screens, those two don’t actually “require” them. A single very wide screen works fine. Unlike machines like the “Sega System Multi 32”.

Do any of the three screen games actually require separate monitors?

1 Like

no, but finding the right shader is not easy for this kind of 3 screens games :wink:

2 Likes

I don’t know I think you might need these suits for the true authentic experience…

Here’s a test I did with the current megabezel

6 Likes

IMO glass is probably best for these kinds of edge cases. No need for custom art; just set the correct aspect ratio.

2 Likes

Not that it’s really important to this discussion but iirc those multi-monitor cabs had either plastic or glass “lens?” where the monitors/CRTs met each other.

Similar technically to how Sony did “flat” CRTs with the Trinitrons, if what I’m recalling is correct.

Basically it would be like a wedge shaped piece, I assume, bending the light like a magnifying glass creating the illusion of no gap in the image.

Edit: LTT did a video featuring something similar made by ROG or ASUS for LCD’s (sometime within the last 5-ish years iirc), I’m not trying to hunt that shit down tho.

2 Likes

:grin: :grin: :star_struck:

1 Like

I agree, but I also think the default Carbon Fiber is an attractive choice. (Plus it would be easily customized for individual games.

For those that use the glass layer to prevent burn-in. @HyperspaceMadness and Ihave discussed things like subtle HSV cycling ( Just an example. :wink:) on the graphic as a shader parameter.

So… we are thinking of you. :grin:

8 Likes