Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

I am wondering if that is due to your physical hardware limitations. Unless you are running on an OLED or Wide-LED display, different color gamuts will be missing key colors needed to display smooth gradients.

IIRC it just affected the bezel reflection a bit differently. (And could be accommodated with Global reflection parameters.)

3 Likes

BTW. When I work in Illustrator, this is most noticeable in the gray-scale gamut, which might help explain the gray wall.

2 Likes

It is a cosmetic effect that has to do with ambient light, not hardware. Noone ever said that a CRT generated a vignette.

The cool thing about shaders is if you don’t like it, you can turn the effect off.

In the case of the Mega Bezel, the vignette combined with the bezel reflection helps with photo-realism, and immersion. Here, these goals are a higher priority than hardware accuracy.

What we are after is the “Feeling” you get when you play a game.

That is why night mode is so popular. It reminds you of playing on your TV with the room lights off, when you were young. :innocent:

9 Likes

Night mode is the only proper mode for CRT viewing imho :joy:

6 Likes

Night mode is a great tool to have in our tool box. @HyperspaceMadness and I have talked about trying to implement it in code vs image. This would allow parameters for the number, size, position, and color of the lights.

Hopefully, maybe post v1.0, this dream will become a reality.

Performance has always been a concern but that concern should soon disappear.:grin:

4 Likes

Hi, thanks for trying, what you tried is supposed to work but I think settings have always gotten reset this way, this is something I need to eventually fix in retroarch. In terms of how to currently do this just FYI you would need to open the base .slangp preset file from Base_CRT_Presets and edit it in a text editor and change the number of passes there, then when you reload your preset you will see it update without losing any parameter values.

I took a look at this last night and I could see the banding issue, I think the banding is probably more obvious depending on the monitor brightness setup as well. It is present at the grade pass, so that’s definitely where the problem is happening. I also think that @Duimon is right that it appears more over gray.

I think I will end up adding a vignette to the post-crt pass which currently adds all the other effects on top of the crt image. Then I would turn off the vignette in Grade.

5 Likes

I’m running on both an OLED and a Wide-LED display and the color gamuts are set to Wide on both (LG calls this setting HDMI ULTRA HD Deep color). It also enables support for Rec.2020.

Yes, I have an LG 55OLEDE6P and it’s setup to support Rec.2020. My GPU is also set to RGB 4:4:4.

Well I’ve just experienced how much it can affect gameplay and presentation as well. Even the last time with the previous version of Mega Bezel and the Newpixie-clone, my issue was with the transition of the vignette. So hopefully any subsequent change in the implementation would at least be similar or superior to the current one when it’s working properly (and most times it seems to work quite well).

Thanks, I understand. It was late and I was tired so I didn’t refer to your original testing instructions you posted a while back.

4 Likes

My “IIRC” was referring to a considerably older version of the shader that had a different implementation of the Vignette.

1 Like

But wouldn’t any vignette potentially affect the gameplay and presentation since it’s superimposed/blended with the game presentation?

2 Likes

Of course, and if that effect is undesirable you can turn it off.

I think the intent is to improve the transition so that people who use it have a good experience.

Here is one possible use of the vignette that adds a lot of realism to the presentation.

1 Like

I totally agree and I’m certainly not saying that it’s effect is undesirable. It works very well. I’ve only just came across a corner case where it appears inconsistent so I brought it to the attention of @HyperspaceMadness, @guest.r and yourself to see if it was expected behaviour or if it was a bug or something that they might want to improve or not. That Ninja Spirit issue was very strange to me because it’s not across the board, even in the same game. I don’t want to turn it off. I wouldn’t mind helping to fix it if it’s a bug or oversight though.

Don’t confuse my response with @Brainbin74 who mentioned that it was not realistic or accurate compared to a real CRT. I’m in the for vignette camp! Lol

Many times when you’re trying to perfect things and you’re moving forward and testing them, that’s when you notice all sorts of other new things that can be worked on or improved upon that you never even noticed before, probably because everything else is so good that it sucks you into this immersive experience, until you see something that stands out and interrupts the fantasy.

3 Likes

No problem :smiley:, it “Should” have worked the way you tried if the feature in Retroarch was working as it really should, so hopefully sometime in the future I’ll fix it :slight_smile:

Thanks for doing all the tests and getting all the screenshots with the different TV gamuts, it certainly helped to narrow down what was going on! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Yeah pretty sure it’s a bug so I think we’ll be able to squash it! :crazy_face:

Yeah totally true, we definitely what to help this be an immersive experience :star_struck:

3 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness Thanks for understanding. You know I actually figured out what’s going on with my screenshots. It’s a bit sad though because now I know that no one will really get to appreciate my shader presets unless they actually try them out live or perhaps if I make some high quality videos like @Brainbin74 does.

@Nesguy made some comments with respect to some of my screenshots today that he doesn’t like XBR but I know I don’t use XBR and I also know that my presets look a lot sharper, refined and defined during live gameplay compared to every screenshot that I’ve taken so far. Even with my use of Scale FX the distortions are at an absolute minimum.

I tested this by going back and forth between the live game play then the screenshots at first, then I hit the P key to pause and the difference was quite evident. Between pause mode and playback mode the difference was night and day. I think it’s because my presets are “active”, with the use of deconvergence added noise and rolling scanlines, which (correct me if I’m wrong) actually simulate an interlacing effect. With the game playing, there’s a lot of high frequency stuff going on and edges, colours and scanlines all look relatively sharp and deep, however, hit the pause button and it’s as if you just hit pause on a VHS cassette as opposed to hitting pause on a Blu-Ray movie. Press play and image quality jumps once again as the rolling scanlines and the noise start to move again. This thing was playing tricks on my mind and I have a strong feeling that my presets didn’t get a fair shake from some because of this unexpected behaviour. I was actually blaming imgur and all.

The reason this came up was because I wanted to share some other screenshots to show you that switching to NTSC-J wasn’t really a good workaround for the vignette bug I found because that just shifted the problem around to different games and colour combinations where the blending and transitioning was seamless in NTSC-U but not quite as good in NTSC-J. If I send you the screenshots I have you might barely be able to notice the difference but it’s a lot clearer during actual gameplay.

I don’t know if you’ll be able to test and see what I’m talking about with my presets because I don’t know if you have a 4K screen yet but it might also be noticeable at lower resolutions. I know @Duimon and @Brainbin74 should be able to with their 4K screens. I haven’t tested this with the original Newpixie-clone variations yet but you can take a look and see if you wish to find out before I get a chance to.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for your valuable contributions. Now I have to figure out a proper way to demonstrate the true quality of my presets without users having to try them first.

3 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness I’m French, I try to make myself understood here in English, any explanation here would be vain, that’s why I didn’t answer.

I am an active member of the french emulation and retrogaming scene for 15 years and retroarch for 10 years, make and configure mame cab on crt with a maximus arcade frontend, or example at groovy mame, a special mame for crt tv ( when people needed real hardware to test synchronizations and custom modeling on crt tv) I was equipped with real machines, with krikks everdrive. I’ve been using the real machines, with krikks everdrive. plug in a genesis on crt tv, insert an everdrive cartridge and you have access to all genesis games on sd card inserted in the real genesis console with the real controllers, it’s something great. nes, n64, pcengine etc…

my youtube channel created in 2012 exists only to help the retrogaming scene with retroarch for example on android gpdxd kitkat 4.4.4… jerking problem, cracking sound? use adequate shader according to the gpu of the tablet? unlock overclocking? custom rom to access more power etc… all this is done with my time and by passion my nintendo switch also had retroarch… videos to support it on my channel…

you told me humor doesn’t work on forums? because it can be misunderstood or misinterpreted? i respect your opinion and would leave the thread here, because if i’m judged by how long i’ve been here? yes i’m new, but that doesn’t mean that what i say has any less value than someone who’s been registered here for 10 years…

i’m sorry if i pissed you off? or turned you upside down? or anything else… i see that @Nesguy has a lot in common with me, honest and straightforward, and a purist crt and i understand that it may offend some humans, but at least you really get what you think and i appreciate that in humans. hypocrisy doesn’t help the retrogaming scene.

@Nesguy he tells me your preset is a slot mask not an aperture grill? I look, I inquire, and I correct the error and the subject is closed, I do not have to take badly what he tells me, I made a mistake, I post images, he takes his time to look and moreover to answer me the truth. I was slot mask instead of aperture grill it was a fact telling someone I like it when it’s not true? I can’t… so yes I refrain from saying every time what I think… if I don’t like it I say it, if I like it I say it too. thanks for your work @HyperspaceMadness

I’ll only stay on the megabezel thread now, sorry for the inconvenience. one question i tried mega bezel last night is it possible to implement the guest advanced rev2 shader in bezel? i saw 90% of parameters for the bezel and border which is great, but in the shader itself on the game appearance, i don’t find the versatility and all the necessary settings. so is it possible to have guest adv rev2 in bezel? or do i have to search the code? i have seen some zip files with the shader base. i ask this question before i search on my side. just had fun yesterday with bezel, and it’s cool. but i still don’t have the fidelity i’m looking for. updated shader guest rev2. ?? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart_eyes: :star_struck:

you just have to ask someone to take or make videos. I use geforce experience. videos and screenshots. and i’m not equipped to shoot 4k videos. it’s a camera that can go to 4k for photos, but for videos it’s 720p or maybe 1080p max, it’s not quality. and i have tested a lot of presets in bezel. Probably the one you use too. I had a lot of fun with the real time refflet, it brings an extra degree of immersion. :heart_eyes: :star_struck: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Yeah I appreciate that language can be a challenge, one thing which can help sometimes is to have shorter messages to help focus what you are asking about or replying to, certainly this is not always possible, but I’ve found in the past it can help.

I understand that you have been doing retrogaming for many years, my comment that you were new here was more that since you are new to the forum you may not have seen many of the conversations which have happened over time, so trying to take a closer look sometimes could answer some questions even though it’s always ok to ask questions.

The comment about humor is really not that humor doesn’t work on forums, but it can be tricky and often misconstrued, so something to be careful about.

I’m thinking you mean that you will try to stay on topic if so, this is much appreciated as these threads can go off topic easily.

I think what I have ( crt-guest-advanced-2021-08-25-release2 ) is the most up to date version of the Guest shader. Some of the parameters have been slightly adjusted and moved into the earlier sections of Mega Bezel parameters, like the Core Res Multiplier and the downsampling, perhaps you are thinking of those?

Were there specific parameters you were having a hard time finding?

5 Likes

hello

well when I opened the bezel settings? it was amazing!! indeed there is a lot of fun with the parameters!! hundreds even… I tried 32 bits retroarch slang parameters which were inneficent or I didn’t see any change… (some 32bits cores are better than 64bits and the opposite.) so I have several copies of several retroarch 32, 64 bits, etc…

but I don’t know if guest advanced revision 2 is designed to work in 32bits efficiently? so I need to test further, and try in 64bits, then I can already know if it’s a 32 or 64 bits problem or something else.

I tried to reproduce a simple trinitron mask from guest advanced revision 2 (mask 7 trinitron) but i really have pronounced scanlines, i tried all scanline parameters without success… but I haven’t dived deeper into it yet, for example from the head I can’t tell you what I’ve encountered as a problem in relation to such and such a parameter. hundreds of parameters :rofl:

but I could tell you exactly what the parameters are because I will make a more complete report with pictures to help you understand. in any case if I have a border trinitron with bezel and guest advanced rev2 then I’m full, because it brings a plus the refflets, like my crt. thanks HyperspaceMadness I think it’s a misunderstanding between us, nothing serious my friend good work to all ,duimon, cyber ,guestr, etc… :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

If your personal preset is using Guest ADV rev2 (And you saved your changes using the “Simple Preset” setting) then you should be able to load the Mega Bezel Guest preset, save a simple preset, and paste in your code.

If it doesn’t look like you expect, at least you have a baseline to work from instead of starting over. :grin:

2 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness is the public release using the newest version of Guest?

3 Likes

I laughed when I saw the answer, because when I said I was going to dive a little deeper, that’s what I meant… copy my guest rev2 settings (find the correspondences if some names have changed for example) then enjoy the result… but it’s never that easy in my experience. so no problem here, I don’t see why we can’t take advantage of the guest advanced rev2 shader and the mega bezel real time glasses improvements. there’s code, there’s png’s, then there’s users testing. I hope to be able to achieve this.

I used the post by cyber version which pointed to mask modifications. I had artifacts of dollars or s in the mask, it corrected then I tried and it was fixed. cyber knows about it and followed up on it. if he wants to clarify. on the link of the shader and its date.

1 Like