Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

There’s a various models of Sony’s PVM/BVM series. They all have very sharp image and thick scalines, but depending on there TV Lines, the image is slightly different.

For example, 600 TV Line models(Like PVM-14M2 or PVM-14L2) are close to crt-aperture shader. sharpness and scanlines are stronger than GDV’s default preset, but not as much as crt-royale-kurozumi. I think that crt-royale-kurozumi imitates higher TV line model(like PVM-14M4 or BVM series, they have 800~950 TV Lines)

I think 600 TV Line models seem like this.(I tweaked it with my own PVM-14L2)

4 Likes

Very nice, and the curvature shows off the versatility of the Mega Bezel.

Are you using the 3D curvature or faking it with 2D?

Either way, if you are intending to keep this preset, a little Reflection Corner Rotation Offset would make it perfect. :wink:

Thanks for the info!

4 Likes

Thanks, this is much appreciated. I’m just doing this to be able to enjoy my games partly the way I remember them and also partly in ways that look nice and appealing to me now. I’m still learning and experimenting with these tools, trying to understand them and improve on any areas that look and feel like they need improving whenever I notice them.

The main difference in my most recent preset update is a change of the MDAPT setting from 2: Relaxed to 3: Stripes because I noticed the waterfall in Lords of Thunder had some transparency processing being done but somehow it was only being done partially so that stood out to me. I then experimented with the settings and found 3 to work the best. I also tested SGENPT-MIX but that was a bit too strong for the entire image so I’m going to stick with this combination for now. I’m glad that I can share these with others, particularly those who don’t even know where to start when it comes to shader settings and which shader preset to use to have something that easily transforms their games into something magical!

You keep up the great work yourself! I have my eye on that Commodore 1702 preset you have there!

1 Like

The other challenge with these masks and fine details is that while they look excellent in screenshots many times they’re completely lost during motion due to blurring unless you have a >= 4K screen that’s also >= 120Hz and also has BFI. I’m starting to notice this compromise more and more on my plain 60Hz 4K displays as I’m slowly transitioning from being a “consumer” of pixels to a customizer of pixels. Let’s hope that I can stop noticing things and just enjoy being immersed in ignorant pixel bliss for as long as possible!

2 Likes

I’m using 3D cyl. And didn’t know that ‘facking with 2D’ is possible. That way makes any differences?

And I found something unusual things with curvature mode. This screenshot’s wave shape things.

It appears when I increase ‘Scanline Shape Bright Pixel Beam Max’ to over 1.30.

Is that is intended feature?

1 Like

Faking it is done by using the 2d curvature and only curving one axis which looks similar to the 3d cylindrical mode. The benefit is that you can get better performance than the 3d mode which is a big performance eater.

This is what’s called a moire artifact. It’s a side effect of having curvature applied on a high frequency graphic pattern like the scanline alternating dark/light pattern. The stronger the dark/light pattern the worse the artifacts will be which is why it is appearing more as you increase ‘Scanline Shape Bright Pixel Beam Max’. You will also tend to get less Moire artifacts the higher resolution you run, I’m actually surprised to see this much Moire at the resolution you are running.

1 Like

I’m wondering if the 3D curvature has something to do with it. I know that when you add curvature to the fakes scanlines you get some moire.

I do some tests.

1 Like

It is the curvature on the short axis that is the culprit. (The top and bottom.) 2D and 3D curvature.

Integer scale helps but it’s not perfect. (It gets worse as you increase the ‘Scanline Shape Bright Pixel Beam Max’ parameter.)

The fake scanlines look good.

My question is, as good as the fake scanlines look, how feasible is it to eliminate the curvature’s effect on the real scanlines? Moire would no longer be an issue.

2 Likes

Hi everyone @HyperspaceMadness, @Duimon, @Neofuuma, @Tromzy, @TheNamec … I just updated my shader preset post with an additional shader preset for blending and transparency and I also added a very convenient zip file with the whole preset package and a readme with notes for ease of installation and distribution. You can get it at the end of my shader preset post or by clicking the link below.

Click the link below to download

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack 31-10-21.zip

6 Likes

Anyone else got an issue with PCSX2 where it crashes on startup if there is a shader saves as core preset for PCSX2?

Shader works perfectly when loaded first time but will crash retroarch if trying to load a saved preset?

2 Likes

Can we get a little more info please.

Are you using the Advance or Standard base preset?

Are you using any internal resolution scaling?

What are your system specs?

1 Like

I did a quick test. If you run a game, close content, then try to run another, it will hang.

With or without a core shader preset.

If you completely close RA, run it and load content with a core preset it works.

4 Likes

Nah, not the same issue as mine then. Mine simply will not load PCSX2 if I have a megabezel slangp preset saved for that core (under the nsame "pcsx2 (alpha).slangp), and will always load if I don’t.

I have this issue with both your PS2 preset (PS2[STD][Guest]) and the GDV STD preset from the megabezel pack itself. No internal resolution scaling, but I tested with the HD preset in your community pack as well to be on the safe side.

Issue only happens with a Mega Bezel .slangp saved for pcsx2. I can use for example CRT-Hylian-Curvature or Guest-DrVenom-NTSC preset from the default retroarch shader pack and not get this issue when loading core.

This happens regardless of what global video driver I use (though of course I’m using OpenGl renderer for pcsx2, D3D11 does not load the shaders at all for me, and vulkan is not supported). It also happens regardless of my Integer Scaling and Asepct Ratio (in Video Settings or Core Settings) values.

i5-7500 || GTX980 || 16GB RAM

PCSX2 is the only core with the issue and issue only occurs with Mega Bezel shaders.

2 Likes

Maybe HSM has an idea what to ask or try next. Since this is the only core you are having problems with, and it is in an alpha state, I would think that it is a core issue not a shader issue.

I am also having problems, and especially because they are different, I would conclude that the core just needs to mature a bit.

Again. If I close Retroarch after saving a core preset. When I open RA I can run a game and the core preset loads.

On the off chance it is a configuration issue. I will try a clean install of the nightly.

2 Likes

Well. Clean install of RA with only the video driver and scaling aspect set. I still can’t get it to run a second game, after I close content.

Since the core preset loads on the first run I am still going to assume this isn’t shader related.

@JRPGod SInce you aren’t having the same problem as I am, could you post the contents of your pcsx2.opt file. I would like to compare it to mine.

Also. Are you copying the entire contents of the standalone into the “Retroarch/system/pcsx2” with a portable.ini or are you just doing the ini file and bios?

1 Like

@shirleeey

I added a check for that resolution you found 512x480, so that will be in the next release.

The funny thing I learned is that the Popeye arcade game from 1982 actually ran at this resolution which is really surprising to me!

Here’s a snapshot:

9 Likes

It’s 448 active lines though I think? I also remember reading somewhere that while it’s interlaced, the monitors (by Sanyo) were more suitable for it because of longer persistence phosphors or something, but I can’t find a reference for it now.

3 Likes

Yup you are right, the internet says that it was 512x448 at 30fps with interlacing between frames

" However, 512 x 448 @ 30 Hz will sync to a standard resolution monitor, and that’s exactly what Nintendo did with Popeye; i.e. Popeye is interlaced . Bally Midway did the same thing with some of their games,"

So I guess that might be the reason we didn’t see it on many other games since it forced games to run at 30 fps.

As you said a longer persistence phosphor would be helpful for this content because you would maybe see the interlace less.

3 Likes

@Cyber mind sharing your settings on that SF2 screenshot? That screenshot is just beautiful!

1 Like

Thanks I’m glad you like it! Didn’t you see the link to my preset settings post? It’s right below the screenshots in that same post with the Street Fighter II screenshot that you liked. Just click the link or the arrow head icon and the entire post with my preset settings will drop down. There’s even a zip file with all of those presets at the bottom!

Go through the entire post once more. You should see it.

Let me know if you still haven’t found it.

Who likes screenshots?

This is what Hagane looks like using my CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels (Composite - Sharp) preset. It’s really a beautiful game!

Click the link below to download

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack 31-10-21.zip

5 Likes