Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

So the brightness adjustment will only have an effect if the LED is not already at max brightness. So if you have a red led and the color in your graphic app is rgb(255, 0, 0) or rgb(1, 0, 0) depending how it shows then it is already at maximum brightness.

So you may want the light to be not at max brightness and put whatever desired “shaping” of the light source (E.g. brighter in the middle) in the image, so it can be darkened or brightened, when it’s more dark you will see more shape, and as it gets brighter it will become more flat looking.

3 Likes

LED needs bloom now :joy:.

5 Likes

OK two things.

First off, is there a way to resize the bezels? the screen is a bit too small for me.

Secondly, is it possible to change which CRT filter is used? I really like CRT-Royale but there doesn’t seem to be a dedicated version for this.

Thank you this is a very amazing pack!

1 Like

Yeah, just adjust the screen non-integer scale to maybe the screen bigger. The bezel is auto-generated so will expand with the screen.

So there are a few different crt shaders in the base presets folder. There is a preset which is called Royale Clone in the Variations folder which looks kind of like Royale. It’s made with Guest Advanced which is a really versatile shader which can make a lot of different looks.

4 Likes

Hi there,

I just registered an account here because I wanted to say how incredible this whole project is. I just discovered Mega Bezel last week and it’s completely blown me away. I was always a little dissatisfied with the default RA shaders, but these presets are so convincing, and they’re so versatile, I’ve been tinkering with them all weekend! The Sonkun and BendBombBoom slotmask presets in the experimental folder might be my favorites right now.

As a way of saying thanks I want to share a few backgrounds I created. They’re based on old arcade/bowling alley carpets, and intended to be used with MAME or FBNeo.

https://mega.nz/folder/obxWwBiY#k0Q5sxgOCVCrJR95QGTSuw

Some screenshots of it in use, with Sonkun__Arcade-32-64-128-Bit-480i__STD-NTSC.slang:

11 Likes

This is really nice to hear! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The core CRT shader used in the Mega Bezel is thanks to @guest.r :slight_smile:

These are really fun :joy:, our first Carpet Bezels!!!

7 Likes

@JadedMagician excellent job on those carpet backgrounds! Making me want to go bowl a frame or ten! :wink:

4 Likes

Hi! I was doing some test with random games, and I had this issue with Tekken 3, so I came here and saw your post.

I have question. To solve this problem, we can change the orientation to vertical, ok. But just to see what it does, I changed the type of aspect ratio to PAR and it solved the problem too.

My question is: what problem can I have to put “PAR” as a default setting? Should I let it on Auto?

2 Likes

This can be a bit of personal taste, but I would not suggest using PAR, par is a 1-1 aspect ratio of the pixel resolution, and almost anything played on a CRT back in the day was 4:3…

Really your problem should be fixed by changing the aspect ratio to horizontal. Basically in your instance with Tekken 3 I think the aspect ratio is correct, but the wrong orientation (Vertical instead of Horizontal)

Just for my info can you turn on the resolution info parameter so we can see what the resolution is coming from the core?

4 Likes

Until PC monitors and video drivers were able to use the “unused” portion of a display specifically, I think all the space was used indiscriminately. (So 4:3 would be the most realistic.) PAR can cause issues if there are any aspect changes during gameplay, like when menus are displayed, or during the PSX boot and/or intros.

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll stay with the Auto option! Thanks for the explanation. :slight_smile:

Here are two screens from the PAL version of the game. The first one in auto, the second in PAR. (not sure you needed it if you just wanted the core resolution, 365x480 . For the US version, it’s the same.)

2 Likes

They are both correct. The core width is less than the height. If width > height = Horizontal, width < height = Vertical. This is literally the same problem I reported 2 weeks ago. The simple solution is as you stated to set the Aspect Ratio Orientation to Horizontal. Either the HSM Reflection Shader will need to be changed or every shader that uses this needs to set Orientation to Horizontal. There are other games PSX games that have the same problem.

2 Likes

Or the user could change the parameter and save a game preset.

Just saying.:grin:

2 Likes

I would think than that there should be a tutorial so that there aren’t 1000 people asking the same question.

2 Likes

I’m adding a check for a vertical resolution of 448, so hopefully that will catch all the PSX games with weird resolutions like Tekken 3 and Driver (If they’re running at native res)

3 Likes

I hope it will fix the issue. I am the type of person who hates repeating myself over the same question, especially if a similar one was posted yesterday.

I would think that people could search the thread. (Maybe?)

This question has been asked many times.:wink:

Nevertheless, I will add the parameter to my presets, for all CRT systems that don’t have vertical games.

3 Likes

That is my main point. Check to see if someone already answered the question first and then ask. Don’t just simply ask the question.

2 Likes

To use Playstation core set [Aspect Ratio] Orientation: 1 and Type: 2.

Posting this so people can find the solution.

1 Like

Distributed with the shader is a 7,655 word README.md

From lines 239 - 258.

[ ASPECT RATIO ]:

• Orientation — Should the aspect be tall or wide? This does not rotate the image.

• 0 - Auto - Chooses vertical vs horizontal based on the core resolution
    • 1 - Horizontal - uses horizontal aspect
    • 2 - Vertical - uses vertical aspect
  • Type

• 0 - Auto - Choose aspect ratio based on an educated guess about the core’s resolution

• 1 - Explicit - Use the aspect ratio from the Explicit Aspect Ratio parameter

• 2 - 4:3 - Almost all arcade games are 4:3

• 3 - 3:2

• 4 - 16:9

• 5 - PAR - The aspect ratio of the core’s pixel resolution

• 6 - Full - The screen will scale to the full viewport

• Explicit Aspect Ratio - Ratio used when [Aspect Ratio] Type is set to Explicit or if Auto is chosen and no matching resolution can be found

It is a fairly elegant document containing 50,245 well thought out characters. :innocent:

6 Likes