Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Wow!! that’s beautiful!!!

What sort of SoC do you recommend to run this smoothly say, with all the arcade? Can you recommend one from Pine64 or Olimex?

1 Like

I’d recommend at least a Ryzen 5 5600G.

Getting it to run is one thing but you really need a little horsepower to have the looks as well as the low latency features if you really want to enjoy playing these games properly.

2 Likes

I would say that would be really good if all the features are wanted from the Mega Bezel. I only say this because I have i5-6500 and everything works pretty good, but some of the heavier things don’t work too good.

Since the user was asking for SBCs it would be different.

1 Like

The first question was about SoC not SBC. The Ryzen 5 5600G fits the definition of an SoC.

I was also trying to give the user a realistic expectation of what they might need to have a good experience using HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader.

Many users may not be aware of what it takes based on their past experience.

I really also wanted to float the idea of latency reduction as well since I think it’s very important and I’m not sure many SBCs would be able to handle Run Ahead and Frame Delay in addition to HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader.

So my response was trying to go beyond the specifics the question may have intended in order to be a bit more informative to the user.

I would hope that if there is in fact a better or at least a more suitable recommendation of an SBC that can run HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader while using Run Ahead and Frame Delay that someone will inform me so that I can update my knowledge.

2 Likes

Yeah I did read it wrong. I said SBC because Pine64 and Olimex are.

1 Like

Hey Cyber quick question, I plan on getting this mini pc when it eventually comes out. That should be able to handle the hsm mega bezels right? My Shield TV isn’t cutting it anymore and I need my Beetle Saturn core gaming and that little box looks like a good replacement.

1 Like

I can’t give an authoritative answer without actually seeing it in action but based on anecdotes I’ve picked up from people successfully running HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader using current AMD APUs and the fact that these are supposed to be the new fastest APUs available, then it should be able to handle it.

Exactly what “it” is might vary according to your resolution, what cores you’re planning to run (for example 3D systems, Higan) and what performance hogging Run Ahead and Frame Delay setting you would like to use.

I think it should blow the Shield TV out of the water though.

You can probably do some research to see what kind of experience others are having using low spec PCs to run that specific core you’re targeting.

1 Like

Just from looking at a video of this mini pc which is the very last one Ryzen put out before those new 6000 series boxes start hitting shelves it can handle ps2, ps3 and xbox emulation so I’m assuming it should be able to handle any core you throw at it from RetroArch and that’s exactly what I want, a nice small system that can handle emulation from the 8 bit era up to ps3/xbox360. If it can handle run ahead etc even better if not then I’ll stick to default settings.

Now if I get that box and I’m still not satisfied I’ll return it then go all out and spoil myself with something like this

since it’s been a while I’ve purchased a new desktop pc, that will definitely run everything lol. I think that mini pc should be able to get the job done for what I want though but we’ll see, I’m already looking at it as my new “Shield TV 2”

4 Likes

How to get the bezel reflection to fade out at the ends? I am trying to get the reflection to fade out at the end and not just stop.

1 Like

I told you above. “Radial Fade Width” and Height. If it still seems to stop then you are seeing the bezel edge and need to turn down it’s opacity.

If you need it wider you can just leave the radial fade set a bit higher and increase the hidden bezel width.

After turning the Global reflection amount up quite a bit you can get this.

You can imagine how this might look over an appropriate existing image.

I also adjusted the corner crease fade parameters.

5 Likes

Thanks dude. I messed with the Fade Width and Height and I didn’t notice any changes. I think it was because I didn’t change them enough to make a big change.

4 Likes

If you really want to run arcade, 8 & 16 bit in the Mega Bezel with all the bells and whistles at 4K 60 FPS then you really need at least the performance equivalent to a RTX 2060 which I can vouch for because it’s what I have in my desktop.

6 Likes

That’s exactly the estimate that I needed, thank you. I’ll weigh my options and make a decision in due time then. The Shield is a cool device but I think it pretty much ran its course, held me down since 2015 and Nvidia doesn’t seem to be putting out a new one at the moment, meanwhile pc tech just keeps getting better and better

4 Likes

Wow I’m glad this project is getting closer to v1. I want to prepare a new monitor for the best experience. So I’d like to get this community’s opinion.

I’m currently using a 27inch 1440p monitor. I think it’s the best choice for playing general PC games, But it doesn’t seem to be the case for emulations. Cause the only issue I am experiencing with Mega Bezel is the moire effect (if the scanline is strengthened). Is it correct that a 4k monitor can solve this?

And I’m debating whether to make the size 32 inches. It seems too big for emulation, but I think it could be better for watching videos. (Netflix, Disney Plus, etc…) Could Duimon’s PVM preset be a good solution as it makes the game screen a bit smaller?

I’d love to give you a lot of opinions.

3 Likes

You can try the 1440p Optimized Presets in my Shader Preset Pack.

Moire patterns aren’t a 1440p thing. It can happen at any resolution. Having a smaller display area might actually make it worse.

You can also experiment with my 1080p or 4K_Optimized Slot Mask Presets. They haven’t been tested at 1440p yet, but they might work.

2 Likes

If you like your monitor then there are definitely things that you can do to get less Moire. But the more pixels you have the less Moire you will get, so 4K is definitely better for this. I don’t really see much moire at 4K without any extra effort to remove moire.

Yeah 32inches with a the PVM preset should be quite nice and not too big.

4 Likes

What are the parameters to achieve this same effect?

2 Likes

Let me do it again and I will post them.

1 Like

This might be a bit better. The real trick is to turn off reflection full screen glow and increase the hidden bezel height and width.

#reference "shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/MBZ__3__STD.slangp"
HSM_BZL_OPACITY = "0.000000"
HSM_BZL_WIDTH = "400.000000"
HSM_BZL_HEIGHT = "400.000000"
HSM_FRM_OPACITY = "0.000000"
HSM_FRM_TEXTURE_OPACITY = "0.000000"
HSM_FRM_INNER_EDGE_THICKNESS = "0.000000"
HSM_REFLECT_CORNER_FADE = "7.000000"
HSM_REFLECT_CORNER_FADE_DISTANCE = "15.000000"
HSM_REFLECT_GLOBAL_AMOUNT = "85.000000"
HSM_REFLECT_DIRECT_AMOUNT = "168.000000"
HSM_REFLECT_FULLSCREEN_GLOW = "0.000000"