Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

This fix works great BTW. I’ll be updating some more potatoes.

2 Likes

Yes, if you aren’t using that feature in the preset it will be unaffected.

The base value is to match the game screen, so it should stay the same as before if there is no empty tube

It should have no effect on the black edge. The calculation gets the game screen size, adds the empty tube, then adjusts the aspect ratio including the empty tube, then after this the black edge is added in equal thickness around the game screen and empty tube

2 Likes

Is there a CRT base preset that will prevent scanlines from showing up on GBA or GB/C games? Using Duimon’s Game Boy Player preset, it’s great other than it erroneously puts scanlines on, I’m assuming because of those games’ resolutions.

3 Likes

Can you post some images?

I think @Duimon’s GBA presets are using the lcd shader

3 Likes

If you’re using Duimon’s graphics than you can either change [A/B Splitscreen Compare] or [Interlacing from Guest.r]. I would recommend [A/B Splitscreen Compare] for the Handheld presets and [Interlacing From Guest.r] for the presets designed after the Game Boy Player.

[Interlacing From Guest.r]
    Interlacing and Fake Scanlines Trigger Res: 100.00

or

[A/B Splitscreen Compare]
    Show: 1.00
    Splitscreen Position: 100.00

Yeah his presets use the LCD-GRID shader.

3 Likes

I assume you are talking about the “GBA-[STD]-[Guest]-[Bezel].slangp” (Or the ADV or Lite version.)

The GB, GBC, and GBA “Bezel” presets are meant to simulate the Super Game Boy player, which used the SNES to play GB and GBC, and GameCube to play GBA, on a TV. (Which has scanlines. :grin:)

The [Guest] in the preset name refers to the Guest CRT shader… so not erroneous at all.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ll get pics. His GBA handheld shaders use LCD-GRID, while the Game Boy Player presets use a GameCube border and a CRT shader.

1 Like

Also @hgoda90 I’ll go ahead to try adjusting hose values, thanks!

3 Likes

What exactly is your goal?

If you use the LCD-GRID shader you will still have scanlines on the player part of the screen. There is no way to put the LCD shader on those portions of the screen.

Like I said, the Player presets are supposed to have scanlines. Here may be a better example.

The games were played on a TV.

I am a bit confused.

1 Like

The Super Game Boy on SNES had scanlines, yes, because the SNES output at 240p. However, the Game Boy Player on GameCube output at 480i, thus no scanlines.

2 Likes

Ah, so the way to achieve that would be to increase the core res sampling multiplier opposite dir, this will increase the vertical lines, and there is a threshold after which the scanlines will fully disappear

3 Likes

Oh, that works too? That’s good to know. I used [Interlacing From Guest.r] Interlacing and Fake Scanlines Trigger Res: 100.00 as hgoda90 suggested, that also made the scanlines disappear. Now I’m noticing that the GBA part of the GBP border has scanlines, I assume that was done out of the assumption the Game Boy Player had scanlines?

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s right, I just added in dynamic scanlines for the image on top of the tube (gel image). So @Duimon will probably adjust his graphics to use the dynamic scanlines instead, so then you could turn them off if you liked.

2 Likes

Yep, and I like scanlines. I lower the " core res sampling multiplier opposite dir" parameter when I play Hires games.

HSM is correct that I will be using the new method, so after my next update you can just follow his advice.

You will have to update from my repo after I post that I am done.

BTW, I am correct in my assumption about the Game Boy player, it may be I am incorrect about the GBA Player, but I think it would depend on what type of CRT they are displayed on.

Either way, soon you will have plenty of control. (Relatively soon anyway. :wink:)

4 Likes

Sounds good! I look forward to it :heart:

1 Like

To put my two cents in, scanlines come from playing on a CRT and nothing else. If any system is played on a CRT it will have scanlines no matter what. If the Super Game Boy is played on a LCD it won’t display scanlines.

1 Like

Although you are right, there are ways to force GBA Player to display at 240p, which looks better for GBA games IMO.

3 Likes

@hgoda90 I get that, as the term “scanlines” comes from the way a CRT draws the picture (line-by-line), and interlacing means it takes two passes to draw the whole screen, basically drawing ever other line in a single pass (forget if it’s the even-numbered lines or odd-numbered lines that are drawn first in a full screen draw). 240p just draws on every odd scanline, and doesn’t draw on every even scanline, thus creating what is commonly called “scanlines”. 480i, it’s possible to see “scanlines”, but it’s a very brief period on the first pass of a screen draw, so they can go unnoticed if you’re not looking for them.

@JHorbach1 At first I was gonna say I didn’t realize that, but now that I’m thinking about it, it was an option in the GBP menu, wasn’t it? Woops.

2 Likes

Sorry for saying it was erroneous, I had completely forgotten that the Game Boy Player on GameCube has an option to switch between 240p (which has “scanlines”) and 480i, which doesn’t (technically, unless you’re looking really hard).

1 Like

The presets have been updated in my repo.

4 Likes