Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Je pensais le contraire; surpris tant de gens étaient sur de vieux ordinateurs.

Mega_Bezel_Logo

Hi All, We’re renaming the base collections folder to Mega_Bezel_Packs. If this doesn’t mean anything to you you can check the instructions in the first post of this thread. This is so that the name is shorter, behind the scenes we’re trying to make distribution of the packs easier, so this is hopefully a step in the right direction.

7 Likes

Nice work and looking forward to what the future holds

@HyperspaceMadness the fact that 26.3% of respondents answered the question, “How long have you used the Mega Bezel?” “2 Months” should be exciting! Almost 75% of respondents within the last year :astonished:

3 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness I know it’s not out yet, but I want you to know that your new tube settings are working very well! Thank you so much!

3 Likes

Nice! Do you mean the latest changes on Github?

2 Likes

Yes, I was following it each day! :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Very brave. :wink: Remember to backup your release version of the Mega Bezel… just in case.

4 Likes

I’m loving these. I’m currently using Duimon’s shaders that I did my own tweaks to. I do have a request; could you port gdapt to Mega Bezel? Mdapt is great, but it does so little for the dithering on Genesis games.

2 Likes

So I took a look, here’s before any de-dithering

And here’s with MDAPT

This is with GDAPT

Here it is in the Mega Bezel

Without any De-Dithering

With MDAPT

With MDAPT and PSI Box Blur

There are some slight differences between MDAPT and GDAPT, it might be possible to have GDAPT and have a switch between no de-dither, MDAPT and GDAPT, it’s only a couple passes at core resolution so shouldn’t cost much in performance

I should also mention that I originally had GDAPT in the chain, but it can create false positives in identifying the dithering, whereas MDAPT is better at avoiding these.

3 Likes

I was actually looking at Lion King, which makes heavy use of line dithering. I tried the Smooth Antialias shader in the variation folder, and the smooth-adv base shader, neither did anything for that specific case. May be an instance where gdapt is better for some games, mdapt for others.

2 Likes

Here’s what I mean about false positives

Original

MegaMan_Original

MDAPT

MegaMan_GDAPT

GDAPT, Megaman’s face gets a bit blurry

MegaMan_GDAPT

2 Likes

Yeah, I see what you mean. Guess I just don’t notice it while playing, been paying more attention to actual dithering, and only giving cursory glances to the rest of the picture. Can mdapt + ps1 do anything about the line dithering in games like Lion King? Even in Sonic the Hedgehog, the waterfalls still have the dithering lines in my modified Duimon Genesis shaders. Maybe it’s a case of my tweaks working fine in cases like SMW’s water, bit being wrong or incomplete for the type of line dithering so many Genesis games use.

2 Likes

Hmm, weird,

Here’s with no dedithering

here’s MDAPT on Sonic’s Waterfalls

and here’s with MDAPT and PS1 Box filter

4 Likes

Hmm, yeah. Which base shader is the mdapt + ps1 using? That’s exactly the effect I’m going for. For my tweaks, I’ve been using the base Smooth ADV GDV shader, plus relevant code from Smooth Antialias, injected into Duimon’s ADV shaders. Maybe that’s my problem?

1 Like

This is just MBZ__1__ADV.slangp

To blend the Jailbar dithering you need to turn MDAPT up to 3:

I’ll have to think about if it should be set to this for the SMOOTH-ADV preset by default or not, the reason it is not is because it gives false positives

4 Likes

Oh, okay! That’s my problem then, thanks a bunch!

4 Likes

Mega_Bezel_Logo

Mega Bezel is updated to V1.0.004_2022-08-08_Rev-1

Changes:

• Fixed Potato Black Edge Corner
  • Added Fake Scanlines option to colored Gel
  • Changed Gel to use Vignette for shading
  • Added control for tube aspect, should work much better now
    • 0 - Add even thickness on all sides
    • 1 - Tube aspect ratio will match the game screen aspect
    • 2 - Explicit Aspect
    • A new explicit parameter has been added to set it explicitly
  • If Vert BG or Device image is the placeholder (16px tall or less) then fall back to horizontal BG or Device Image
  • Image processing was not done on images which haven’t been supplied
    • All images are actually always supplied, but by default they are supplied with 16x16px transparent images
    • If an image is smaller than 16px tall then it will not be processed
  • Set some sharpening on by default in DREZ presets which should make them slightly less blurry

Scanlines on the Gel Image

Go to the first post here for links to the package and install instructions. Please make sure to read the install & setup instructions

8 Likes

:astonished: You’ve been busy.

Cool. I can remove them from my gel layers. :wink:

Does this effect any inherited tube scaling?

3 Likes

Yes the tube scaling will take into account the extra thickness now, and with the aspect properly managed it will scale better with the graphics following it, no weird offsets appearing on the sides of the tube.

3 Likes

Hmmm, I’ll have to do some testing, here’s hoping the default isn’t too far off the current scaling.

Edit: Yeah shoot. :frowning_face: All my monitor presets with Empty Tube space will need some adjusting. (There aren’t a ton of them and it looks like it will just be Non -integer Scale %.)

We are talking about the Tube Diffuse aspect correct?

The parameter doesn’t seem to have an effect unless I have some empty tube thickness applied.

In the presets I am still using the Black Edge it doesn’t do anything.

2 Likes