Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Congratulations on the new release and on reaching this new milestone!

On another note,

I noticed that this new setting defaults to 2. Would this cause a change in noise appearance and behavior in current presets at 1080p, 1440p and 4K resolutions compared to previous versions or will things look exactly the same as in 1.5.0 if the default setting of 2 is left alone?

In other words, would a setting of 1 or 2 provide equivalent noise appearance and behaviour to version 1.5.0?

1 Like

As always, thanks for your amazing works and your contributions :metal::sunglasses::metal:

I’m really liking this separator between each feature. It’s quite effective quality of life feature and special thanks for that. It really made my poor reading ability on scroll a lot easier.

2 Likes

Was there a change in the way that turning off the intro works? After the last update, I have a bunch of game presets that used to have the intro turned off, but now it is on. Is there a quick way to turn these back off in batch? Thanks for the help.

So it will look exactly the same as before at 1080p and 1440p, and will appear 2x the size at 4k. So should look visually similar at 1080p and 4k

Thanks! Yeah I saw this in @MajorPainTheCactus’ presets and thought it was a great idea! That 1024 max parameter limit has come in handy :joy:

No, I didn’t touch this part as far as I can remember.

3 Likes

Thanks. I understand. In the past, the noise particles used to look coarser as resolution went down and I used to tweak the noise differently to optimize presets for different resolutions to compensate for this.

I guess this means that a setting of 1 would give the same look and behaviour at 4K compared to the previous version.

The upscale in the shader chain is currently 3x, right? What does this really mean in layman’s terms?

Does this mean that if I have a 224p vertical resolution input, it will be multiplied by 3 by the Shader chain upscaler giving 672p? Then the Sampling multiplier will automatically be set to 672?

It would be nice to understand why and what is now going on here and how it differs from the current default setting of 100, which I thought was the native input (core output) resolution.

I don’t understand this. I thought this setting determined the percentage of scanlines displayed with 100 giving 224 for 224p content, 200 doubling that and 50 giving half the native number of scanlines.

I tried the setting of 1 using Genesis Plus GX and got what appeared to be clumps of scanlines. I’ll see if I can post a screenshot later but it looked pretty strange.

Trying the HDR shaders. The brightness is quite striking. Just to confirm, are the “screen-only” shader the HDR ones?

Took the picture with my phone.

2 Likes

Yes of you set it to 1 it will be exactly as before.

It means that for scalefx setting the scanline Dir multiplier to 0 results in the same sampling multiplier as 300%. At 100% you would not see any effect of the scalefx.

Sorry, I meant a multiplier of 100, not 1

1 Like

The presets in Base_CRT_Presets are set to sdr and use default parameter values.

You are meant to load Megatron presets from Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets/Megatron/ in here are all the preconfigured settings MajorPainTheCactus has made to match the different real life crt models.

Now Squash that Mushroom!!! :rofl:

2 Likes

I am wondering if perhaps the Megatron presets folder inside Base_CRT_Presets should be moved into the root of the Presets folder…

Oh okay. Reason I asked is because i noticed the “screen-only” shaders were all really dark and figure it was because they were for HDR.

Here is a picture of one of his HDR presets. The scanlines are very strong.

Thanks very much!

Okay great! Makes perfect sense now!

Just for the record. There is a subtle smoothing effect performed by ScaleFX at a setting of 100%. It’s what I use for my “Sharp” presets as opposed to the 300%+ settings I use in my “Smooth” presets. It’s at least very slightly different from 100% with ScaleFX off if not slightly improved but without the distortion/artifacts on text in particular.

That explains why when I pressed start it stayed at 100 and I had to manually adjust it down to 1 in order to see the effect of the “new” setting.

Thanks for this.

There’s a small typo in your 1.6.1 changelog:

Shouldn’t it be “the sampling multiplier”?

I appreciate this as well. Everything looks much cleaner and clearer.

So far I haven’t seen anything that severely degrades my presets. Just have to test my Old-TV Shader Preset because that uses a lot of halation.

This is always a huge relief for me.

Keep doing what you’re doing for the people! It’s greatly appreciated and it’s popularity will continue to grow!

As always thanks to @guest.r and all the other great shader developers for making this possible!

2 Likes

I;ve noticed all the screen-only shaders now look like this for me. Even the max-int ones. Is that normal?

3 Likes

Ok I think there might be something wrong with this, possibly it’s not adding the final gamma for display, Rest assured I’ll fix it up very soon

3 Likes

Test Mega Bezel V1.6.2_2022-11-22 with various awesome packs from members of community :wink:

7 Likes

Take a look on Dithering effect without HSM using Duimon Preset

2 Likes

I love the latest version, It looks awesome… with every update is getting better. :heart_eyes: :star_struck:

3 Likes

Really liking the shaders and whatnot. Quick question: how do I actually disable the intro animation? It’s advertised as a feature on the first page, but there are not any instructions on how to do so. I couldn’t find any results on Google, so I had to make an account here to ask this question. Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I’m new to RetroArch and learning how everything works. Thank you so much for the hard work and making such awesome shaders. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, thanks for all the kind words, a lot of work and community feedback has gone in to the Mega Bezel and the community packages :slight_smile:

About the intro, you can turn this off by going to the shader parameters and go down the list until you find the intro section you can turn it off here in the first parameter.

I’m planning on doing a survey about the intro animation sometime soon to see what the general feeling is about having this on or off by default.

6 Likes

Hey, this is freaking amazing, thank you HyperspaceMadness!! I was testing the glass effect and loved it… Now I use the whole monitor height and I even get ambilight effects with some leds I have behind the monitor :heart_eyes:

sf2ceua-221123-121435

3 Likes

Is that Macintosh frame, pictured above, from Duimon’s pack?