Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Yes, indeed it is :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love it. Been wanting to use that minivmac core instead of the standalone to set up a nice shader, but the core has a few problems.

1 Like

I think there is one which can be run through the mame software lists as well, not that I have that set up though

Yes it does. I wouldn’t consider it ready for use at all really.

Here is some general info on what is possible using the MAME Software lists.

https://wiki.mamedev.org/index.php/Driver:Mac_68K

It is quite tricky to get them running but works really well once you do.

There are a few Macintosh HDD CHDs in the MAME Software List CHD collection, and a very few bootable game floppies.

1 Like

Mega_Bezel_Logo

Mega Bezel is updated to V1.6.3_2022-11-23

Changes:

• Fixed Screen-Only Presets

Go to the first post here for links to the package and install instructions. Please make sure to read the install & setup instructions

9 Likes

Do you ever rest?

Thank you for the quick update!

5 Likes

I have a lot of games set up for standalone minivmac and it runs great, so I will probably stick with that for now, until the RA core gets updated a bit.

1 Like

Thank you for the help! Keep up the good work! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like the Super XBR NTSC preset, for me is the best one, but I have a problem with moire effect, if I reduce it to 0, then the scanlines doesn’t look that good, is there any way to maintain those scanlines but without moire? I mean with moire some parts of the scanline dessapear, but if I take moire, scanlines details dessapear.

2 Likes

You can add noise, use Integer Scale. Try to expand the viewport. Use Scanline Gamma to fine tune the Scanlines. You can also try a different mask pattern.

1 Like

Moire is usually caused by curvature. You can also reduce the crt curvature multiplier to 0. This will straighten all the scanlines, but the edges of the screen will still stay curved.

2 Likes

I already had it 0. I think the problem comes out with fake scanlines, if I set it to 0 moire disappears even with curvature. It would be nice if there was more options to fake scanlines because I like the look of it…

I think you may be referring to the scanline curvature in the Fake scanline section, but what I was referring to is CRT Curvature Scale Multiplier.

Here’s an example of what 'm seeing over here:

Standard look with guest’s slotmask and curvature which shows some Moire

Here’s with the CRT Curvature Multiplier set to 0, which removes the Moire

No Scanline Mode with CRT Curvature Multiplier set to 100 - No Moire

With Fake Scanlines added on top - No Moire

This is the CRT Curvature parameter

8 Likes

Oh. Thank you very much, I will try it later. You are really helpful :smiley::grin:

3 Likes

so i done it i orderd my sinden light gun , can´t wait to figure out how this works with retroarch and this shader :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Some experiments/examples with the SMOOTH-ADV

Default Guest Advanced

Anti-Alias look

• 100% Vertical Sampling Multiplier
  • 100% Horizontal Sampling Multiplier
  • 33% Horizontal Blur
  • 33% Vertical Blur

Default Smooth-Adv - Horizontal Smoothed look

• 100% Vertical Sampling Multiplier
  • 600% Horizontal Sampling Multiplier
  • 33% Horizontal Blur

Extra Smooth - Partial Vertical Smooth and Horizontal Smoothed look

• 125% Vertical Sampling Multiplier
  • 15% Horizontal Blur
  • 15% Vertical Blur

Super Smooth!

• 600% Vertical Sampling Multiplier
  • 15% Horizontal Blur
  • 15% Vertical Blur
  • No Scanline Mode to remove scanlines
  • Mask 4 is used to add texture so it doesn’t look bland
  • Lottes Mask Dark 0.30

I’m in the process of breaking out these smoothing settings into their own params files so they could easily be referenced in the future.

Phantasy Star 2 example

Default Guest Advanced

Antialiased Look

Default Smooth

Extra Smooth!

Super Smooth!

13 Likes

“Super Smooth!” - just wow. Are these available to download Sir?

1 Like

Hey all.

I’m looking to modify a shader to just show one of the DS screens. I’ve been tinkering with: Dual-Screen-DS__STD-NO-REFLECT__LCD-GRID.slangp

… but haven’t had much luck. Is there a preset that shows just top or bottom screen with the lovely LCD grid effect HSM provides?

I’m setting up RA so that I can toggle through shaders using a key, in case my request sounds a bit weird. The key allows a setup that will go from both screens > bottom screen zoomed in > top screen zoomed in > back to double screen.

Thanks for any help!

Looks great… man, did I love this game when I was a kid.

This won’t work if you are using a core, game, or content directory preset.

When a preset is loaded automatically, the “remembered” preset folder is the root shaders folder… not the config folder.

I have brought this to the attention of @HyperspaceMadness and I’m sure it is on his RA to do list, but I’m also sure it has a lower priority than some other things.

If you have found a solution I would be very interested.

I think the correct way to do this would be to have a core, game, or content directory config that has the core providing only one screen. Then use the MBZ__4__STD-NO-REFLECT__LCD-GRID.slangp base preset.

You could do it using the Dual Screen parameters but it would require a lot of tweaking. (More than you might think.)

Having the second screen not show would force you to guess what input it might be needing… making games much less playable.

I have plans to create a DS preset that mimics the hybrid layout of the 3DS.

3 Likes