Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

If you only want 1 screen then you can use the base LCD-GRID preset as Duimon recommends and just crop off a percentage of top or bottom to get rid of that screen area

3 Likes

They should end up in the next release, but if you want to try them out now you can grab them here:

Antialias

#reference "../Base_CRT_Presets/MBZ__0__SMOOTH-ADV__GDV.slangp"

HSM_CORE_RES_SAMPLING_MULT_SCANLINE_DIR = "100.000000"
HSM_CORE_RES_SAMPLING_MULT_OPPOSITE_DIR = "100.000000"
HSM_DOWNSAMPLE_BLUR_SCANLINE_DIR = "33"
HSM_DOWNSAMPLE_BLUR_OPPOSITE_DIR = "33"
HSM_TUBE_STATIC_REFLECTION_IMAGE_OPACITY = "1.000000"

SHARPEN = "0.200000"
HSM_SCALEFX_ON = "1.000000"

HSM_INTERLACE_TRIGGER_RES = "800.000000"

HSM_DEDITHER_MODE = "3.000000"

// Lottes mask, a bit like a slot mask effect
shadowMask = 3

Extra Smooth

HSM_CORE_RES_SAMPLING_MULT_SCANLINE_DIR = "600.000000"
HSM_CORE_RES_SAMPLING_MULT_OPPOSITE_DIR = "125.000000"
HSM_DOWNSAMPLE_BLUR_SCANLINE_DIR = "15"
HSM_DOWNSAMPLE_BLUR_OPPOSITE_DIR = "15"

SHARPEN = "0.200000"

HSM_VIEWPORT_VIGNETTE_OPACITY = 0
HSM_BZL_COLOR_VALUE = 30
HSM_AMBIENT_LIGHTING_OPACITY = 98

shadowMask = 3

Super Smooth

HSM_CORE_RES_SAMPLING_MULT_SCANLINE_DIR = "600.000000"
HSM_CORE_RES_SAMPLING_MULT_OPPOSITE_DIR = "600.000000"
HSM_DOWNSAMPLE_BLUR_SCANLINE_DIR = "15"
HSM_DOWNSAMPLE_BLUR_OPPOSITE_DIR = "15"

SHARPEN = "0.200000"

no_scanlines = 1
HSM_INTERLACE_MODE = -1

shadowMask = 4

I also updated the examples above with Metroid Zero Mission on the GBA which has a lower resolution, more easily showing the differences

3 Likes

Thank you for this detailed reply… I will not be surprised how hard it is to set a single screen using the dual screen parameters, lol, as I have been trying to do so much of the afternoon!

Hopefully I can help you with something here: I do indeed set my RA shaders preset folder in the cfg to point to a bespoke directory each launch. So, for example, my NES shader presets folder contains 3 .slangp files.

I then pass a command line arg on launching RA to start with the desired shder. viz.

–set-shader "Z:_RetroArch/shaders/slang/8bit_TV/1 - Default.slangp

Finally, I map the ‘next shader’ function to a button and it just cycles through all 3.

I hope this helps, but it is inded a lot of work :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That would do it. :grin:

It would be nice to get it to work with core etc. presets (There is no way to pass the --set-shader switch using a *.cmd as content.) but this is a good temporary alternative. Thanks!

2 Likes

Haha not at all! You’ve helped me more times than I can count :slight_smile: Delighted to be of service, friend :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To get a single screen using dual parameters set Position Offset Between Screens to -250.00 first. If the top screen is wanted change Viewport Split Offset to 500.00 or if the bottom is wanted change it to -500.00. I forgot to mention set Scale Screens from Center of Split to 0.

1 Like

Thank you! I think I have it down now :slight_smile:

Hey guys, I know this is supposed to use lots of hardware to apply all the effects, but latelly I’m bit worried about overheating my notebook, I’m about to buy an cooler support for it, but while I don’t, I wonder if there’s something that I can edit to avoid CPU max 98°C/208ºF without losing all the CRT magic. Any tips?

There is a “standard” and “potato” preset that are less demanding. You can give those a try.

The “screen-only” presets are also less demanding.

3 Likes

Didn’t fully undestand what you mean, those options are in shader parameters, right? if so, I swear I tried to find anything to toggle standard and potato, but couldn’t find it anywhere.

Also, the “screen-only” are those that I can set as “BOTH | SCREEN 1 | SCREEN 2”? should I set as screen 1 only?

I just need a bit more information to find it.

Oh, no. What i meant is that there are actual presets called that. They are under

/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets

Picture of the different presets:

1 Like

@HyperspaceMadness hey, Nice work on the new update! I really like how you organized the settings. A much welcomed improvement.

However, something I didn’t catch earlier was that an older issue has re-emerged. When you use the glass presets (HDR, at least) the screen looks washed out. I recall this happening before and you managed to fix it so hopefully it’s not too much of a headache. On the attached pic, the left one is HSM with no glass, on the right with glass. The black levels look really lifted and the screen glows. I also tried plain crt-guest-advanced and had no issues.

EDIT: WAIT! I just realized that there was a new Retroarch Update; will retry with that and follow up.

OK it’s the latest version from GitHub that has this issue. The included version with Retroarch doesn’t. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

So this is the Guest Advanced Glass Preset you are seeing this with?

And you are right the retroarch repo version hasn’t been updated yet, to give a little time to find issues just like this!

3 Likes

YES, sry. I wasn’t clear.

2 Likes

Which preset in specific are you seeing this on?

1 Like

I tried a few including (untouched) presets like:

MBZ__0__SMOOTH-ADV-GLASS__GDV.slangp
MBZ__2__ADV-GLASS-SUPER-XBR__GDV.slangp

As well as an older preset I had. I renamed the Github folder and used the included HSM and it worked without any issues.

1 Like

I’m not sure you should expect these presets to work well in HDR. How do they look with HDR off?

I don’t have access to the TV ATM (fam is watching a movie :sweat_smile:) therefore I can’t verify what’s happening there but in the past these worked just fine both ways. With HDR, all of these non-HDR ‘normal’ presets basically allowed me to turn up the brightness – which is great for scanlines + 100% mask. Without HDR they looked good just not as bright. If you have an HDR display, you might be able to verify by downloading the Github version and using any preset that has glass in the name.

2 Likes

I hope no one minds this ‘blast from the past’, but a year ago I asked if anyone knew how to create the flickering effect we see from 3:20 in this shaders video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9C_TfmPgYM

It is something the old analog shaders pack managed beautifully.

… I was looking at the guest.r’s shaders and tried many parameters, but could not get an approximation of this effect. Has anyone achieved this look, or can recommend other options? Thanks!

1 Like

Looking at this the preset being shown at this time 8s an ntsc preset. The flickering artifact shown here is the ntsc part of the shader chain.

You can use one of the NTSC presets to get this effect. The ntsc parameters are nearer the bottom of the parameter list to control how much artifact ING you will see.

3 Likes