Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Yes that is the case it seems. Sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

New Mojozork core playing the Infocom game Zork!

5 Likes

Looks stunning! I’m in love with such looks on obscure system monitors. I was wondering to ask how could you give that spaces in left and right sides? Since the core itself doesn’t provide any option at all so it must be yet another magic of HSM Shaders :heart_eyes:

For example as you can see below, texts are getting out of screen because there is no space.

3 Likes

If you have the Tube Diffuse layer turned on… just increase the Empty Tube Space parameter. You have a choice of aspect… I usually choose Even.

If you don’t want Diffuse you can increase the Screen Black Edge width.

2 Likes

Thanks! Used Empty Tube Thickness. Although I’m having an area now where it doesn’t have monochrome glow (sorry, not sure what it is called exactly), I think it’s way better now for readability.

The area I was mentioning

witness - crop

1 Like

Yeah, when I set this game up to take the screenshot I noticed the same thing as you. Unfortunately in this case the empty tube area really is empty. For us to add more black to the game image we would need to add back the negative cropping, With the negative crop all the passes affecting the crt image (glow, bloom, mask) would also affect this additional black area.

I’m thinking that I will try to do another attempt at the black cropping (it’s still in there but dormant) , I think I might have a better idea of how to mitigate the issues I was having last time.

If I add it back I may still deactivate the negative cropping in the POTATO presets since their highest priority is performance.

3 Likes

Even the current look is feels somewhat accurate to me. Maybe it’s software related but still.

2 Likes

Yeah, it seems that it needs more of a built in margin coming out of the core

2 Likes

just mask the empty space ^^

Those monitors had a control that allowed you to stretch the screen area via hardware.

1 Like

That looks pretty epic

2 Likes

Hi. i was wondering why the moire effect is so severe in the Mega Bezel shader. When using the standalone guest shaders, you barely get any moire. But when using it with Mega Bezel (like CyberLab shaders) the effect can be quite severe. Is it possible to integrate the normal curvature settings from the guest shader or is it using another curvature shader? I know 4k is better to counteract this, but most of the time I only have 1080p.

2 Likes

you can reduce it by lowering the HSM_CRT_CURVATURE_SCALE

1 Like

Firstly, Mega Bezel presets might be more prone to moire simply because the screen is being downscaled a bit to make room for the bezel.

Expanding the viewport can reduce moire or using integer scale (or setting the exact non-integer scale % where the moire pattern disappears) in some cases.

Another factor might be the strength of the mask and scanlines used in my presets. They’re mostly at maximum strength/darkness so that might also make them more prone to moire.

In the past, I’ve worked really hard to eliminate visible moire in all of my presets. However in recent times, mainly due to demand and user feedback, I’ve tried to expand the number of offerings to 1080p and 1440p users to more closely match the number of variations in my 4K_Optimized folder.

I haven’t fully had time to test each and every variation that I have ported over at the native resolutions they were optimized for and in my last attempt at testing my 1080p presets I noticed some severe moire I think in one of my SNES presets at 1080p that I had never noticed before.

Around that same time I updated HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader to 1.6.3 and my presets stopped working on my GeForce GTX 970 4GB, which is the GPU used in my 1080p test system.

Due to other external factors at play as well since then, that whole 1080p test setup had to be temporarily taken off line.

So based on the last interaction with my 1080p presets I noticed something was up so if you’re having an issue with a particular preset or set of presets you’re trying to use, you can feel free to let me know in my thread. Include some pictures, screenshots and the exact name(s) of the preset(s) involved so that I can try to reproduce the issue and see if it’s something that can easily be resolved.

Hi everyone, @HyperspaceMadness is there a reason that you delete the newpixie preset ? i know there is the newpixie clone, but i miss the accumulate modulation and the GTU. Is there a way to add them to the preset ? Thank’s again for your amazing work.

1 Like

Yes is mainly to reduce maintenance work and reduce the number of base presets (there are around 140 at the moment) since it wasn’t really widely used.

Here’s what the survey said in 2020

The other reason is that it was not 100% matching newpixie anyway.

GTU should be included as part of the STD preset. For the accumulate, it’s possible that we could add something like this to get an effect more like newpixie.

You’re welcome! Thanks for following the project!

6 Likes

oh yeah i remember this survey, im a minority :frowning:

If you could add the accumulate it will be perfect, anyway thank’s again.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick response. I don’t have issues with a particular preset, but when I tested the aperture Genesis preset with the Blargg filter I noticed that Aladdin had the worst case of moire. Streets of Rage 2 had little to no moire depending on the level. I guess I just won’t use any curvature depending on the game. I also noticed that curvature modes 3-5 are more GPU intensive that 1-2. I can’t seem to run these at full speed on my RTX 2060 laptop at 4K (external monitor). It’s a shame I can’t run these because I think modes 3-5 look better.

1 Like

Can my setup handle the mega bezel shader at 4k with scanlines and the new dithering options it’s a i7 7770 16gb ddr3 ram 1070 ti and 1tb ssd.

1 Like

And I think you are wanting to be able to run the SMOOTH-ADV presets?

Are you able to try out the presets from the package on your setup?

1 Like