Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Thanks… looking into PowerGREP now.

1 Like

Also if you are looking for a good text/code editor with a great search and replace for the contents inside the files you may take a look at VS Code.

3 Likes

I went to download a copy and Windows Defender told me that Microsoft’s VS Code could harm my computer. Not kidding. lol :smile:

What is the best Mega Bezel preset to use with the Bezel Project arcade bezels? I can never get it to look right.

didn´t have the bezel project bezels the frame and bezel from the crt tubes itslef on it ? basiclly this would be useless as long you cut out the bezel and everything else what is not the arcade artwork and cab , cuz they overlap with the megabezel shader frame and would overlay the reflection etc.

So if I use the reflect-only_adv only preset in the variations folder that is now coming with Retroarch, I’m getting pretty close but there’s just too much tube reflection border here. The great thing is I don’t have to mess with scaling, it will properly align everything if I set it to full.

If there is a way to reduce the reflection border size by half, it would be perfect.

3 Likes

You just need to increase the “Non-Integer Scale %” parameter in the shader parameter dialog.

Since all the Bezel Project overlays use a 4x3 ratio, and are perfectly centered, it should work very well.

Make the change and then save a core preset.

To get one for vertical games you should probably have the ROMs in a different folder and use content directory presets. For MAME Current it should work to just use one preset and let the shader auto rotate everything. (The default behavior.)

5 Likes

Brilliant! That worked perfectly. Thank you! I should have asked sooner because this was driving me crazy.

5 Likes

I love this look here, to have artwork on the side for the game you’re playing from the Bezel Project while having the reflection bezel from the Mega Bezel project is a nice combination. Good work here.

5 Likes

While this is perfectly acceptable, (I posted a similar hybrid idea about a year ago.) I felt I had to mention that it is pretty quick work to use the overlay as a background image in the shader, customize the bezel to cover The Bezel Project’s bezel, and altogether do away with needing to use an overlay.

This is the preset I came up with in about 30 seconds.

#reference ":/shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets/MBZ__3__STD__GDV.slangp"
HSM_NON_INTEGER_SCALE = "92.769852"
HSM_BZL_WIDTH = "85.000000"
HSM_BZL_HEIGHT = "85.000000"
HSM_FRM_THICKNESS = "75.000000"
BackgroundImage = ":/shaders/Microsoft-MS-DOS.png"

You would have to change the image path to the folder your overlays are in.

Once you create a preset you like you could use the first only of my The Bezel Project scripts to create a preset for every overlay in the folder.

Or you could do it manually by creating copies of the preset named the same as the overlays and do a search and replace with a rational expression to rename the image in the path to match the parent filename.

The resulting presets could be use as game presets on Windows, with no modification, as long as you observe the

:/shaders/

path syntax. And only slight modification to use a relative path.

7 Likes

Cool, I just did a few manually and it looks awesome. Where are these scripts you speak of? This would be such a pain to do manually. Thanks again.

1 Like

https://github.com/Duimon/thebezelproject-scripts

I developed them when the shader was in it’s infancy so the documentation needs to be updated. If you like the preset I posted then you can just follow the directions about changing the image path to point to placeholder.png and renaming the preset.

Work in a folder that you copy your overlays to, just in case and if you have any issues we can chat.

As long as you are happy with all the bezels being black you only have to use the first script.

Keep in mind that this will assume that every overlay you are working with is the same orientation. If you have any vertical ones I haven’t tested The Bezel Project vertical to see how well they work using the same preset.

It is safe anyway because the images are only there so the script can reference the names.

3 Likes

Nice, I’ll give this a shot. What do you recommend for vertical games using this method?

1 Like

I’ll have to download some The Bezel Project overlays. I suspect that they will just work, but if they don’t it will mean creating one that does. My concern is if the bezel and frame will cover the built-in bezel when it automatically rotates.

BTW. This whole process of creating multiple presets will become irrelevant if/when @HyperspaceMadness adds the token feature that was just talked about above.

Then only a single preset will be needed and the shader system will do the rest.

3 Likes

I use FB Neo mostly for Retroachievements so putting vertical games in their own directory is a given. Here’s what I tried with the shader settings you provided. It seems just a little bit off.

The token way definitely sounds a lot easier so maybe I’m just going to hold off for now.

4 Likes

Even with the token you will still need to create a default preset. It looks like the non-integer scale setting will need to be increased, and/ or the height of the bezel.

TBH, using just a couple of the file management tools I favor, I could create a complete set for the graphics in a chosen folder in very little time, without using the scripts. It is all about getting familiar with the tools.

In any case, there is not even a suggested ETA on the token feature, nor a guarantee it will happen at all. Just a plan to make the attempt.

I wouldn’t mind getting a chance to run through my script docs and doing a bit of testing. I think I will slim them down to just the first script anyway, and the method could use a little tweaking given the new simple preset feature.

While I’m at it I can get my hands on a vertical overlay and see what I see.

7 Likes

You’re the man, Duimon. Thank you so much!

Hi. just one question. What is Sega Luma Fix and Sega Brightness fix for? :thinking:

1 Like

Here’s a question I should have asked earlier, but probably thought I would sound base… what is the difference exactly between “Non-Integer Scale %” and “Non-Integer Offset”?

Thanks for the help.

2 Likes

Is the base size of the game screen

Is a scale adjustment on top.

The main reason this is here is that if you are using the image placement feature, the size derived from the image placement is used instead of Non-Integer Scale %, so now you need an additional offset on top to adjust the size.

4 Likes