Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

nightly

bsnes , Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball

The directory line on top of the screen starts to shake and the application hangs. I’m able to ESC out and RetroArch closes.

I tried it. It works on GLCore driver.

2 Likes

Could you test it with Vulcan using the last stable release?

There has been some work on the Vulkan driver so it’s possible you are running into a new bug here.

Another issue you which may be exacerbating the problem is that an ENORMOUS amount of data is being pushed through the shader pipeline :smile:

[INFO] [Vulkan filter chain]: Creating framebuffer 2048x2048 (max 1 level(s)). [INFO] [Vulkan filter chain]: Creating framebuffer 6144x6144 (max 1 level(s)).

These two lines are telling me the core is outputting 2048x2048, then the scalefx part of the chain is upscaling to 6144x6144. This is a lot! This is what in the past has often caused crashes because the video card runs out of memory. You may want to check out your settings on bsnes to see if you can get it to output snes native resolution if you aren’t using fancy mode upscaling.

Also I should note that shaderfx tends to work best at using an incoming native resolution.

Also a question, were you running this specific game and core with the same preset successfully before?

2 Likes

thts weird. in my bsnes settings, i have it set to 1x , 240p

1 Like

Hi @MIKEBLK, if it does work with the last stable, you could do us a really big favor tracking down the bug by testing the recent nightly builds to see where it appeared.

The builds are here:

https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/x86_64/

Basically you will want to try each one working backward from the most recent, and when you find a version which is working, then let us know which one it is. This will allow us to narrow in on where the bug was added.

Thanks a bunch :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Uh oh, Mike… you went and got yourself a work assignment. :smile:

3 Likes

all good lol. everybody here been real good to me. ill be at my cpu tnite. i’ll post what I got

is there somethn I could do to fix this? @HyperspaceMadness

4 Likes

Take a look at the core settings to try to get the native resolution out of the core, maybe someone here has experience with bsnes. The native res of SNES is usually 224x256. That’s really the most correct solution if you do not need the bsnes upresing features (only helpful for the scaling mode used in games like fzero as far as I know).

The other solution is to use a DREZ preset but that’s really a cludge if you are trying to play standard snes.

3 Likes

idk why it would be upscaling it so hard. I have my bsnes core settings to 1x. Am i the only one experiencing this behavior?

i just downloaded stable version so all bsnes core options are default.

just ran the test on latest stable version of RA. of the MBZ_0_ADV-GLASS presets, everything loads with glcore.

with vulkan; EASYMODE, GDV-NTSC and neither of the MEGATRON load. application hangs, able to ESC.

1 Like

Ok, if this is happening on the last stable then it’s likely that it’s the resolution which is causing the problem rather than a new bug.

To check the resolution coming out of the core, you can load a standard preset, then turn on the resolution debug parameter (which is the second in the list) Ane you will be able see the core resolution

2 Likes

2 Likes

Hi, Here I’ll post real Pics from Castlevania Sega Saturn. Original normal pictures an with low iso and all that. This is normal: These Is with low iso.

And this one Is the Mega Bezel. I think I’ve got it now. This is how it looks :smiley:

4 Likes

Looking good. I can see that there are a similar number of phosphor triads going across the white part of the left leg above the boots. I counted 6 triads in both sets of pictures.

The triad height is also more or less similar. The CRT seems to have much higher Gamma than the LCD though and the phosphors seem to be really filtered and muted in the Shader Preset compared to the CRT.

Did you notice how straight most of the Horizontal graphical elements look in the first picture even though it’s of a curved screen?

However, some of those same elements seem curved in the second picture of that same screen. I chalk that up to diffeences in perspective/camera angle.

Lastly, time to start experimenting with a little deconvergence, (just a little). Your CRT does not have the same perfect convergence that your CRT Shader Preset seems to have. You might even be able to separate them horizontally enough to get that black gap in between the individual phosphor colours.

This is how I compared the images and counted the phosphor triads.

Are these the same Slot Mask settings that you were using from before?

Here are a few zoomed in examples from my some of my recent presets using Mega Bezel v1.7.0.

2 Likes

I raised gamma to 4.00 and lowered down scanline gamma to 1. that’s why it looks filtered? I’m confused of which output and imput gamma do I have to use as well… :pensive:

Yes, but I’ve been touching core res sampling until scanlines where on the correct size.

Wow, this is what I’m looking for, that’s how my crt looks how do I achieve those gaps? it’s been impossible to me… Nice colour… :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Sorry I forgot to mention this before. How do I do That? I touch deconvergence, also I use dynamics. But I think I’m not doing it well…:worried:

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate the appreciation.

The final result resembling yours or any CRT is merely a side effect since I don’t aim to match any particular set. Part of what you’re seeing there is also due to the JPEG compression by the way. To eventually arrive at this took months of building upon experience and trying out, observing and getting more and more familiar with the settings and how they behave.

A lot of the work goes into correcting or improving things that I notice and find don’t look right or quite the way I would like.

Sharpness is a real stickler for me because as I explained to you before I usually view from a distance and that exacerbates any blur that may be present in the “foundation” so that’s something I’m almost always working on.

I also trust my eyes and my instincts more than anything else and I prefer to do my testing on a wide variety of games. Some games can hide flaws that others reveal. Things like saturation, I’m not afraid to push becsuse that’s how I remember my CRT gaming experience to be.

Then you have to be really careful with any filters you use because they don’t always just “nicely blend” the image, they can also blur the image (including down to the phosphor level) and make it appear out of focus at certain distances in my opinion.

1 Like

I won’t say you aren’t using them well at all because your presets are easily some of the best I’ve ever seen.

You can go and search the old posts to see and understand exactly how they were implemented and should be used or you can also start from neutral go close to your screen or use a large enough mask size and adjust one setting at a time back and forth, up and down the full range and observe its effects on the pixels/phosphors.

Eventually you might spend enough hours and get to understand how everything works. In a nutshell you start with perfect convergence, which is each RGB phosphor being perfectly symmetrical and aligned. Then you can increase or decrease the X and Y values of each phosphor and you should see each element move horizontally or vertically. The deconvergence strength is an overall setting that controls the extent to which all of the phosphor elements will move from the starting position.

As for dynamics, if it’s scanline dynamics you’re referring to, again, I tried almost every setting at least once and observed their effects and spent a lot of time doing that over and over again until I got an idea of how they worked.

Your core res is 256x224 so looks like you are in good shape!

3 Likes

Thank you. I really appreciate that :grin: and thanks for all your help. I’m quite of a perfeccionist , and just want it as close as my CRT looks. But I know that is only quite of gamma and deconvergence what needs perfectioning now and I soon will be there. Thanks for all the patience and info you give me. It’s really an honor…:grinning:

I use dynamics where the horizontal and vertical deconvergence options are near at the bottom. But I’ll try to zoom in the mask the close as I can and see how I go on.

1 Like

so is there an explanation to the exceedingly high upscaling going on?

1 Like

For the snapshot you gave the core is outputting 256x224, not 2048x2048 like in the log you posted. Is this the same core and game as before?

If you are still getting crashing with Vulkan, can you follow the instructions I gave earlier to get a clean log I can look at what it’s telling us.

2 Likes