Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Hello, could someone help me run? I spent all Sunday and I couldn’t. If anyone can help me thank you :blush:

1 Like

Have you built the core and info files?

1 Like

I downloaded the files but I couldn’t install in Core and Info. Then I uploaded the text file, I got nothing :sleepy:

1 Like

A quick to do list:

1. Build Source into Core and Info files.
  2. Place them in their respected, core and info, folders.
  3. Load Retroarch and txt as content with Core
  4. Load wanted Emulator and start game
  5. Press Ctrl+Alt+T to switch to Retroarch
  6. Press F1 to access the quick menu
  7. Load wanted shader

Where you not able to get the Core and Info files at all?

4 Likes

So, I downloaded the files but I couldn’t understand which is the file that goes in the Core and the others that go in the Info folder. I simply unzipped and threw it in both masses :grin:

1 Like

I was using the translator and I can’t understand which files go in the Core and Info folder. And I couldn’t understand what the Core is or how to add it.

1 Like

Which of these files do I put in the core and info folder? Sorry for the noob questions, but I’m looking forward to testing this out.

2 Likes

You have to open the vcxproj file in Visual Studio, then build the project to get the core and info files.

3 Likes

Thanks… I also wasn’t sure how to compile it.

I seem to be having some issues lately that I’m hoping someone might have an answer for. A month ago I was running Retroarch with the Mega Bezel shader, as well as Cyber’s presets, all on an old i5-4570 and a GT 1030. I wasn’t able run some of the top tier presets on more demanding emulators, but at least with NES (Mesen) I could run the Smooth DREZ without an issue. After getting a new computer two days ago (i7-6700 with the same GT 1030) I am now having trouble running any NES game at any settings higher than standard presets or, with Cyber’s presets, anything above a Standard-No Reflection. This was not the case a month ago. I began with a fresh install of Retroarch, have Vulkan enabled, and I believe I followed all of the instructions for the settings as they were laid out. I have been using RA for nearly a year, prior to this new PC, but I am unsure what I could be doing wrong. Have the presets been changed in a way that they’ve created much more demand and now lower end systems will struggle? Have any other users experienced this? Any help or ideas on what to do would be extremely helpful as I love these shaders and would like to get the most out of them. Thank you!

2 Likes

I’m surprised you could get them to run at all on a GT 1030, it is only a bit better than an older Intel HD iGPU.

If you truly want to get the most out of the shader I would recommend getting at least a GTX 1050. A 1070 would be better. You could also do an AMD RX 5600 XT.

I have a system that pairs an i7-6700K with a GTX 1070 and it does pretty well at 1080.

As far as your question about changes, I do think there has been some that may effect a lower end GPU.

I’ll let HSM chime in with more accurate details.

1 Like

You can try going back through previous versions of HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader and CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack until you find the latest combo that works for you.

For me, I noticed a significant performance difference with versions beyond 1.5.0. So you can try 1.5 0 and see if things work for you like before.

I appreciate the feedback! Ithink I will try out an older version and see if I notice any improvements. And I will look into getting a better GPU in the near future! Thanks everyone!

1 Like

So they shouldn’t have been much change here, especially the amount of change you are talking about, being able to use SMOOTH-ADV before, and now only being able to run standard.

What version of the Mega Bezel were you using before?

If you can get the old Mega Bezel install and try it on your new computer that would be a good thing to test as well.

One other thing to check is to make sure that Retroarch is using the GPU, and not the integrated graphics, this can sometimes happen, often on laptops and you will get vastly lower performance than you are expecting.

1 Like

In my case I was able to use SMOOTH-ADV_NO_REFLECTION at 4K using my GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 system but now the best I can muster at 4K is the STD_NO_REFLECTION believe it or not, which is what prompted me to include that performance tier in my preset pack.

Based on my recollection I think I was getting just below 60fps using the STD-GDV preset.

I am not sure exactly what version of the Mega Bezel I was using, but it had been some time since I updated. Perhaps anywhere from a month to three. That very well could be my issue. I will also double and triple check to make sure that RA is using the GPU. If I am not able to get back to where I was (or where I believe I was anyway) I’ll try to get the best out of the system that I can and figure out what works best. I won’t spam up the place lol.

1 Like

Just to be clear. You’re saying you were running the Smooth ADV presets on an i5 with this GPU?

5901353_sd

A GT 1030?

Yep, that is the GPU. It was a surprise to me too. To clarify I was only able to run NES games though on either the MBZ_0_SMOOTH-ADV or MBZ_1_ADV DREZ pesets on a 1080p monitor. With the presets having around 54 passes or so at the time Nintendo games were the only ones I could do this with. Any other emulator I could not. I would have to do much lower presets. Getting to use these presets isn’t necessarily my goal right now because of how much demand they have on the card. Mostly I was just curious if things had changed and improved so much lately that there was a noticeable difference in demand to run those shaders on my system using even the lowest end emulators like Nestopia or Mesen.

2 Likes

That’s pretty crazy! Thanks for the clarification. :wink:

1 Like

That’s interesting, the current SMOOTH-ADV currently has about 47 passes, probably due to removal of a few of the passes for de-dithering. I’m quite curious as to what the old version you had was.

The main difference between V1.5 versions soon after that are increased precision of the image passes, so we get things like better glass areas without banding.

2 Likes