Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Yeah, it should in the next release, and that is one of the ones covered :grin:

2 Likes

Hello. First, I want to thank you for your work. It really adds the nostalgia feeling that was missing in emulators. I’d like to submit a strange issue I’m running into. When playing NTSC Amiga games (RetroArch PUAE on windows), the screen size does not adapt automatically to the bezel (see screenshot). It does only happen with NTSC games. My configuration is 4K screen, RetroArch 1.15.0, PUAE core, Windows 11 (issue was also present when using Windows 10 and older versions of RetroArch). Do you have any suggestion ? Kind regards, Pierre

So, in the image it looks like the tube and bezel looks very wide instead of 4:3, is that correct?

If so then the solution is to go to the shader parameters and set the aspect ratio to explicit or 4:3

2 Likes

Explicit does indeed solve the issue :slight_smile: Thanks for your quick answer.

3 Likes

Ok I checked this out with the 24op test suite and it looks like it’s working properly:

This is the backlit zone test with me holding down the DPad

2 Likes

Hello again, my RetroArch suffers from infinite loading when I’m trying to apply any bezel shader to the SwanStation core, so I have no option but shut it down via Task Manager. What problem this might be?

1 Like

What video driver are you using, and exactly how long did you wait before determining it was “infinitely” loading?

The Mega Bezel can take quite a long time to load on DirecX11. (Minutes long.)

If you post a pre-formatted log we could get an idea of what the issue is.

2 Likes

I’m using Vulkan, I waited like 3 minutes I guess. When I’m applying the same shader to PPSSPP for example, it takes 2-4 seconds to load, my other cores works flawlessly with the bezel.

You mean retroarch.log?

Yes, but I’ll need the log from a failed attempt in SwanStation.

You can paste the contents of the log in a post, select the log text, and click the “pre-formatted text” </> button in the post editor toolbar.

SwanStation can choose an internal driver that is different from the one you choose in the RA driver settings. Make sure it is using Vulkan internally also.

1 Like

SwanStation can choose an internal driver that is different from the one you choose in the RA driver settings. Make sure it is using Vulkan internally also.

It uses Vulkan internally.

Looks like you are using an old version of Retroarch. Are you using the current version of the Mega Bezel? (Although I’m not sure this would cause a slow or failed load.)

This log still says PPSSPP, I’m not sure we have the correct log yet.

1 Like

Looks like you are using an old version of Retroarch.

I’m using 1.14.0

What is the date stamp on the log? Are we certain it is a current log?

It clearly says Retroarch 1.9.14.

Again. The current version of the shader requires Retroarch 1.15.0 but I think it would just fail to load instead of hanging.

1 Like

Yeah, sorry. My Logging Verbosity was turned off. I can’t post the new one, because of the character limitations. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mZUZI8W9w553p-pFbjvzPVQlP381b8L4/view?usp=sharing)

1 Like
Default shader backend found: glsl.
[INFO] [Shader driver]: Using GLSL shader backend.
[INFO] [GLSL]: Checking GLSL shader support ...
[WARN] [GL]: Stock GLSL shaders will be used.
[INFO] [GLSL]: Found GLSL vertex shader.
[INFO] [GLSL]: Found GLSL fragment shader.
[INFO] [GLSL]: Linking GLSL program.

This log shows your video driver to be gl. (It must have been switched at some point in your travels.)

It is switching to Vulkan because of the internal driver though so I think your issue is here.

Creating framebuffer 8192x8192

You have your internal resolution increased. I think this will be an issue in the ADV presets, even using screen only base preset.

You can try a STD screen only base preset, or temporarily rename your core preset until you change the internal res to something lower.

2 Likes

Well, I lowered the internal resolution from 5x (1080) to 4x and it helped, and I used VIEWPORT ZOOM shader parameter to stretch it a little bit, so it’s playable right now. It’s a shame that I can’t play with 1080, but it seems that I have to put up with it. :slight_smile:

Big thanks to you, Duimon!

Greetings @HyperspaceMadness,

Please permit me to add some further observations and hypotheses in the name of trying to assist in identifying the source and hopefully the eventual solution to the reflection bugs that are present when the bezel overlaps the viewport.

Here’s a screenshot of Super Castlevania IV. You can see the top of the item box is supposed to be cropped off by the bezel, yet we can still see the top side of the box through the bezel. It’s just blurred. This shouldn’t be taking place.

The only thing we should see “on” the bezel (or rather through the bezel) is the blurred mirrored visible edge of the viewport.

What I think we’re actually seeing is the blurred mirrored edge of the viewport (but it’s not mirroring at the correct spot when Bezel Independent Scale is being used) being superimposed with the edge of the viewport that is also being blurred when the bezel overlaps with it creating a multipler effect. It probably appears like clumped bands because the darker areas are receiving much lower brightness due to the same multiplier effect.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure this is what is happening, it’s the independent bezel scale which is not affecting the reflection area properly when it overlaps the screen

2 Likes

Take a look at the phat bezel on this baby!

1 Like

It depends on the video driver quality.

I could be biased, but as far as I know, Nvidia shares the same code, while intel performs a bit better on Linux. Can’t say much for amd on Windows, but on Linux it performs pretty well.

3 Likes