Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Thank you very much ! This was true, now with Retroarch 1.15, the shaders launch but it takes a long time and then I always have a black screen (but I can hear the audio from the game). I need to check the readme to find a light shader to see if it works.

1 Like

Yeah this business of it giving a black screen means there is something going wrong in the shader somewhere, it’s loaded, but giving a broken result. Let me know if any do load and show an image for you.

2 Likes

There is a known Retroarch bug with glcore on hardware rendered cores that does this when you go from full screen to windowed mode. Maybe it is related and not a shader issue.

2 Likes

Any idea about this guys? Or there’s just not any and 800 x 600 resolution is the only proper possibility?

First of all I am assuming you mean the internal resolution of the game, played on a 16x9 LCD at either 1080 or 4K.

The issue here is that these games were designed to be played on a really high dot pitch monitor. Most shaders are meant for games running at ~240p. (Or ~480 for some consoles.)

The question is… do you want the game to look like it did on those PC monitors? Even 8K doesn’t have enough pixels to display those high dot pitch masks.

If reproducing the dot mask isn’t your goal, you could use a 1080 DREZ base preset, lower the scanline opposite direction multiplier, and stagger the mask.

Here is an example using a PlayStation game at 1024x768 internal resolution.

This is on a 4K monitor.

The mask is hard to see with JPG compression, here is a PNG closeup, showing the staggered mask.

stagger

3 Likes

Correct.

Thanks for answer. Basically, 1080 DREZ is almost fine for me but it looks too blurred. Sorry, I see hundred of options and not sure what to change. So far, I lowered the scanline opposite direction multiplier only.

1 Like

Actually, you could try just a normal preset, instead of DREZ, since you aren’t using any internal resolution scaling. (The 1024 x 768 res threw me off. :wink:)

ADV presets are using scaleFX so they will also be a bit blurry, compared to what you expect from a Win98 Monitor.

Try a STD preset and just a touch of Opposite Direction Multiplier.

2 Likes

Yes, it looks better. It’s looks very similar to the picture of Windows 98 that sits in my head. Great to revisit after more than 20 years!

Last question - where to get the background from your image?

1 Like

That is one of my Mega Bezel graphics and presets. You can find a link to my thread at the top of this page.

1 Like

These look interesting:

Hi, I would like to use the glass preset, however, I am unable to completely remove this border. Is there a way to do this?

3 Likes

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I think the Glass-Minimal-Bezel-Edge__ADV-GLASS preset in the variations folder is for you!

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ve used that preset, but still wondering if there is a way to completely remove it? It’s a bit distracting for me in some scenes. Also, I like the NTSC look and I don’t see an NTSC preset for the minimal bezel edge.

1 Like

So I would take a look at the parameters inside the preset to see what is different and then adjust it more.

I think the parameter which will make it smaller is the bezel inner edge thickness, you can try reducing this to zero.

So if you start with an NTSC preset you may be able to just reduce the bezel inner edge thickness

3 Likes

Hello! I’m trying to configure the 3D curvature to make the screen appear tilted back and sunk into a cabinet overlay, and I noticed a weird issue with the reflections. When I add a 3D tilt, the reflection image starts to creep onto the screen, causing a weird mirror effect. The more extreme the tilt, the larger this mirror effect becomes. It also only seems to affect the three sides facing the tilt direction. Is there anything I can do to correct this?

Also, is it possible to adjust the top and bottom bezel heights independently? For this game, it would look better with the top bezel being 2-3 times the height of the bottom one. I could just make it larger than the overlay image, but then the diagonal lines don’t match up with the overlay.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I’m using Duimon’s fork of mega bezel.

I never noticed this before but I can certainly see it in your image. I’ll have to look into it to see what is going on

So you can do this by adjusting the frame Y Position, which will adjust the ratio of how big the top bezel is compared to the bottom

2 Likes

@p3st has been busy!!! Awesome stuff! :exploding_head:

9 Likes

Is there a quick way to disable the shader elements, background, scanlines, etc… but keep the screen aspect and orientation… this would be for things like taking title and gameplay screenshots where you just want the basic appearance.

2 Likes

Nothing like a parameter that does it automagically, and I’m not sure it would yield good results.

Gameplay and title shots are usually made without any effects at all, and at native resolution or an integer of native.

You would have to turn on the split compare parameter and set the original to 100, after disabling the image layers and setting the scale.

You could set up a a preset that does all of that, but you would have to set the integer scale for each system manually, before taking the screenshot.

Even then the GPU screenshot would have to be cropped after.

I usually load a game, set the scaling aspect to 4:3, switch to windowed mode, and use the menu to set the window scale to 1x or 2x.

1 Like

Hmm… a screenshot mode would be a cool feature.