Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Even with your dither blending options.

1 Like

Of course but this is not a 100% Guarantee though. There might be a couple presets here or there for example in my CyberLab Special Edition Folder which use Background Graphics, Curvature as well as Noise and Shadow Mask which might have slightly higher performance requirements depending on the game or core and settings. Some of these can run extremely close to 100% GPU usage on my setup while similar presets in my CyberLab Neo-GX folder might run at about 91% GPU usage under the same scenarios.

Why not load them up and try them and see? The most I can share is my experience.

I haven’t tested every game and every core out there with every configuration possible.

For example I don’t play many PS1, N64 or 3D games in general and don’t usually push things like upscaling in conjunction with my Shader Presets so your mileage may vary depending on what you run and how you run it.

This is like a worst case scenario. No overclock with one of my heaviest if not my heaviest presets.

Same preset after overclock.

Similar looking but with no graphics, minimally Curved CyberLab Smooth Neo-GX Ultra Preset

I would just add that this is a single fan Mini ITX graphics card so not one with any exotic cooling or any extra beefy VRMs.

My overclock settings are MSI Afterburner Auto OC Curve Optimized GPU Overclock.

My memory OC is +200MHz. In recent times I’ve dropped that to 190MHz.

This is supposed to be within the manufacturer’s speed rating of the GDDR5 VRAM on my Graphics card if I recall correctly.

Only recently I’ve pushed the Voltage and Power Limits of my Overclock to give myself a “free” upgrade of my now ancient graphics card.

2 Likes

Sneak peek of @p3st’s awesome launchbox Big Box theme Virtua CRT :star_struck:! You can see more details on this thread :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Hi @HyperspaceMadness, I found a bug on simple preset, or I don’t know why this happens, but just by turning Simple preset ON, the shaders appear to be just a bit slightly brighter than if I turn it off, also happens with background layer, I want to turn background layer off, but then masks look softer. Can you check that please? the shader preset I’m using is Super XBR ntsc with reflections on.

1 Like

This could be due to you accidentally adjusting one or more of the Scaling or Filtering settings in the Shader Menu then attempting to save.

This is also what might have caused your Simple Preset to turn into a Full Preset as those settings can’t be stored in a Simple Preset.

Just speaking from experience as this entire scenario has happened to me before.

But I could just be wrong and it could also be bug though.

2 Likes

I made a fresh tweaking and saved only with simple preset. Even before saving, if I set simple preset off, brightness loses strenght, so yes, it could be a bug.

2 Likes

Hello everyone :slight_smile:

I want to play ps2 games. I know the core for ps2 is still in beta… the problem is that it only works with the d3d11. That doesn’t work with the shader from @Duimon :slightly_frowning_face: Can someone help?

1 Like

The Mega Bezel does work with D3D11, it just takes a long time to load, like 2 minutes…

2 Likes

Hello, my first post here on the forum. I’m an admirer of your work with shaders for retroarch, and I really like emulation with the most faithful graphics possible.

I searched here in the topic about the subject, but the topic is too big and I didn’t find anything (I even found it) about development with shader royale. I have two questions for you:

1 - Do any of the shaders use CRT-Royale? If so what is it and where can I find it! 2 - If none use it, is it possible to use the edges of the mega bezels with shader royale?

Thanx!

Apologize, for jumping in the middle of other subjects. Is there an easy way to improve readability of text somehow? The issue is that smaller text (in the middle of the screenshot below) is very thin.

1 Like

This is actually a symptom of earlier operating systems. (Why Clear Text was implemented later.)

I would increase scanline opposite direction multiplier, or disable scanline completely. (And masks.)

If you set the resolution of the hosted OS to 800x600 or greater it should do the same thing.

You may also want to decrease bezel curvature a bit when running an OS. ( or use empty tube space and independent curvature.)

Increased multiplier…

Independent curvature.

You could decrease CRT Curvature, without using empty tube space…

at the expense of some clipping in the corners.

3 Likes

So the answer is probably not. I actually had Royale integrated a couple of years ago, but I needed to take it out because it was difficult to manage because of how it integrates compared to other shaders, e.g. adding distortion after all the other stages done at full res.

I wouldn’t say that I won’t ever integrate it again, but it’s not on the todo list at the moment and there are a number of things to do still.

2 Likes

I noticed that there are several snes games that using the preset MBZ_0 or MBZ_1 are a little off the screen. I didn’t find how to fix it through the shader.

They are almost imperceptible, but some texts like the game “speedy gonzales” show the words well off the screen

1 Like

I don’t think this has anything to do with the shader.

Here is a screenshot with no shader.

It does the same thing with bsnes and/or video>>overscan off.

BTW. It also does the same thing using MAME. So I am fairly sure it would do the same thing on the real hardware.

I use snes 9x 2010 and it doesn’t have that option!

MAME and Dreamcast also leave the screen a little more to the left!

edit: Ahh you say retroarch overscan right? However, it doesn’t fix that either!

if you mean…

…it is a Retroarch setting, not a core setting. I was hoping it would make a difference.

It even does the same thing on the Beetle bsnes core, which I assume is the most accurate.

To seal the deal, here is a vidcap of real hardware.

1 Like

Looks like the Sunsoft Europe prototype doesn’t suffer any off center stuff.

It would be interesting to try a Euro version of other roms you are having the same issue with.

2 Likes

This is interesting, I’ll check it out as soon as I can… Thanks for your time! There’s only one problem with these tests: European versions are slower and have smaller images, which is why this happens! But I don’t know how much RA cares about that!

What level of deconvergence is acceptable? Are there any rules on how to use this feature? Is it just aesthetics or does it improve the final result?

Can you see the difference in the Mario game images?

In this specific test, just activating the feature, I make some stronger horizontal scanlines less visible, making them more uniform:

Zoom image for better view.

I was looking at John Merrit’s and some of the other arcade shaders that show more of the cabinet than my own setup… I just show the bezel and screen. I was thinking how cool it would be if you could have that cabinet view, and then when you press coin and start if it would do an animated zoom into the close-up bezel and screen as you play, then at game over it zooms back out to the cab, giving you the best of both worlds. I know… probably just a fantasy, but I don’t really know what the megabezel is capable of in the future. :flushed:

3 Likes