Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Yes, it will work on Android. Just choose the presets from a performance tier which matches your devices capabilities.

Found an interesting blog others might enjoy.

Edit: Found the video

2 Likes

This may be off-topic,
but in Japan, the table type was the most common type of Nintendo. This was due to the demand for placing them in cafes. This was the predecessor of the city type in game arcades. Basically, it was a style where sat down to play. p505969163.1 p505969163.2

On the other hand, it was quite rare to find a game that could be played standing up, and if there was, it was placed outside a candy shop…on the street, where could play for 50 yen.

The style where could play sitting on a chair was 100 yen. In the old days, there were some that charged 10-50 yen, but the basic price was 100 yen. It was like paying extra for a chair. :rofl:

So from my point of view, the arcade cabinet where play standing up looks fresh.

So I have quite a headache with Overlay and such in arcade games. I’m not familiar with Style, which is played standing up… that said, if it’s a table type, it’s a strange feeling to recreate this in Overlay. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Hi thanks for the excellent progress! I am trying to make it work for nintendo switch, which has only the gl drivers for the shaders. Does it work? Anyone knows how?

1 Like

The “gl” driver will not work, the “glcore” driver will.

1 Like

For some reason, when I want to apply some Megatron preset, it doesn’t activate properly with HDR.

It only happens to me with the MegaBezel Megatron presets, since when I use Megatron by itself everything goes perfectly.

Has anyone had this problem?

I share a couple of photos. Thank you for your answers!

@HyperspaceMadness I didn’t want to ask about this in the vertical overlay thread, but what are the settings he is using to get the reflections on the overlay? Right now I only have them on the inner bezel.

1 Like

You have to ensure that if you’re using the Vulkan Driver:

Make sure HDR is enabled in RetroArch.

After you load the Mega Bezel Megatron Preset, Make Sure you toggle the SDR/HDR parameter to HDR in Shader Parameters.

After that, you have to adjust your Peak Luminance and Paperwhite Luminance settings according to the Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor setup instructions.

Before you do all of this, be sure you’re using the latest Mega Bezel Reflection Shader 1.15.0+

Mega_Bezel_Logo

Mega Bezel is updated to V1.16.0_2023-12-10

Changes:

• Updated to Guest Advanced crt-guest-advanced-2023-12-02-release1 (Includes new High Res Scanlines feature)
  • Adjusted some Parameter Positioning, High Res Scanlines Appears with interlacing settings

Go to the first post here for links to the package and install instructions. Please make sure to read the install & setup instructions

SmoothAdv Regular Scanlines

SmoothAdv HiRes Scanlines

STD Preset

SmoothADV

SmoothADV with HiRes Scanlines

SmoothADV with No Scanlines

SmoothADV with No Scanlines, With Mask

14 Likes

Thank you for your response Cyber, I really appreciate your participation here, your presets combined with Megabezel were the gateway that led me to participate in this forum. Very good work.

Regarding the RetroArch settings, I have everything as you mention, I use Vulkan for almost everything, HDR activated (working perfectly with the Megatron default version in the hdr folder) and with the appropriate luminance so that it looks ideal before my eyes.

The problem is that when I load the Megabezel settings with Megatron, the HDR is not applied correctly, I can identify it by pressing F1 and seeing how the menu color remains faded, when it normally changes when using a Megatron setting.

I’ll do a few more tests and comment on the forum to see what happens.

Has everything worked well for you? I don’t know if it’s of any use, but I want to mention that I use a 4k monitor with BGR subpixel division. I have noticed that a large number of participants use an OLED TV.

Greetings! :grin:

1 Like

This sounds like you’re using an older version of Mega Bezel Reflection Shader.

You have to manually update to get to version 1.15.0 or now 1.16.0.

Remember all Mega Bezel Megatron Base and Root Presets use Megatron SDR Mode so you would have to manually switch them to HDR Mode in the Shader Parameters.

You can try these sample presets I’ve included which have the correct HDR toggle enabled in the Shader Parameters.

They have to go into the “Shaders” Folder. Post your Peak and Paper White Luminance settings as well.

1 Like

You were right! I just updated to the version and now everything works without problems (photo attached)

I also attach my adjustments to the peak luminance of my screen. It is a monitor with DisplayHDR1000.

I usually set it to 1000 as peak and 700 as PaperWhite.

Thank you very much for your support Cyber!

Also many thanks to HyperspaceMadnes for your splendid work with those realistic bezels! I love it!

2 Likes

So, the Hi-Res scanlines are only for use with smoothing, and won’t work without it?

Actually, please disregard. I figured out what was going on. When I first started using MB, I had turned down global reflections to just get a subtle relection, and had turned it down so far I wasn’t even seeing the fullscreen glow, etc… It wasn’t until I saw that video that I realized I was missing a lot of the effect. So, I’m going back through and adjusting individual elements of the reflections so I can enjoy it more. Late to this party, but it looks great. :grinning:

Thanks :grin: there are also Megatron presets in the Variations folder for both SDR and HDR modes

Yes this is only for SMOOTH-ADV or SUPER-XBR. Basically what high-res scanlines does is keeps the base scanlines vertical dark/light pattern, but reveals the full resolution of the layer coming into the CRT shader,e.g. ScaleFx at 3x core scaling.

One of the things that I’m pretty sure @far327 is using the reflection mask image to modulate how much reflection appears in different places. I’ll probably put in some more features to control where the reflection appears OUTSIDE the bezel (Currently the reflection ONLY appears inside the bezel area, so you have to make the bezel larger to encompass the area you want the reflection to appear).

4 Likes

Yeah that is essentially what I am doing. Sorta the easiest work around I could come up with. Additional controls for this would be great! They may already exist in the shader params, but I was looking for a way to adjust the reflections with tilt in mind. Would be useful for overlays that have more intricate cabinet angles

1 Like

Thanks. I was able to get a better effect by just bringing up the “fullscreen glow” (I think it’s called) into the mix and then balancing everything. I kept it fairly subtle still, but it gives a nice, dramatic pop to flashes, etc in the arcade games.

Thanks! Is there a way to find the glcore for the nintendo switch?

1 Like

If it isn’t listed then it isn’t possible. :frowning_face:

Follow us down the rabbit hole :rofl: You’ll like it here :grin:

3 Likes