Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

The Mega Bezel shader is updated to V 2020-06-06

Changes:

• New Night Guest-DrVenom Preset with awesome graphics from @Duimon. Technically this is the same as the Guest-DrVenom preset but with different graphics and the top-image dialed up for the night effect
  • New N64 Guest-DrVenom Preset - uses a new Vertical Flip parameter, also uses scalefx to upscale and clean up the image for a nice 640x480 look with edge smoothing
  • Vector game Presets, now horizontal and vertical, they work well with FBNeo and its highres mode
  • Automatic Aspect ratio can switch dynamically to a guess of the proper aspect ratio for the core
    • Aspect Ratio Modes parameter added, including auto, explicit and some other predefined aspects
    • Has a catch for Stella (Atari 2600) so it has a horizontal aspect even though it has more pixels vertically than horizontally in the image coming from the core
    • Core resolutions with Y < 500 fall back to the Explicit Aspect Ratio
  • Improvement to screen scaling in Portrait Mode, since we want the screen to stay in the viewport and be approximately the same diagonal size when switching between aspect ratios
  • Vertical Flip Parameter to flip cores like MUPEN which use the viewport Y value upside down as requested by @duimon and noted by a number of others
  • Royale now has all the ScreenFx stuff like screen vignette, edge sharpness, corner radius
  • Presets will need to be updated
  • ALL parameter names have been updated
    • Rename Guest-Venom, Guest-SM Param Names
    • I know this one is painful, I’m sorry for the collateral damage but this is to help future proof and make the names consistent
    • The majority of parameter names won’t change from this point on
  • EDIT:
  • Set Guest-Venom and Guest-SM to use a constant sized pass of 320x320 for blur so you get a consistent amount of blur regardless of the core resolution

Still to Come:

• Brightness balancing the presets so they are consistent, some are currently brighter than others
  • 3D Bezel
  • Geom-Deluxe Version
  • Pixie Version
  • Experiments in Moire reduction
  • Other stuff I forgot

Automatic Aspect Ratio in Landscape

Automatic Aspect Ratio in Portrait

Aspect Ratio Params

Nintendo 64 Preset with Scalefx

Vector Preset

FBNeo Core Options to use: FBNeo_Options_Highres_Mode

Guest Venom Parameters

Guest SM Parameters

Easymode Parameters

Royale Parameters

10 Likes

Just…Wow! I can’t wait till I have the time to play around with this update!

(Apparently you’ve been busy. :grin:)

3 Likes

I can’t wait to try the new update. I saw you wanted to add the newpixie shader. I’d rather have the options of the monitor accumulation and moving scanlines atop the other shaders vs having newpixie as is. I’m guessing that is much more difficult and potentially not possible.

4 Likes

I’ll check out the newpixie shader. I’ll have to see if the effect is integral to the shader, as I’m guessing it might be, or if it is something which could be applied across shaders.

3 Likes

The rolling scanlines is my favorite part of newpixie-crt imho.

3 Likes

The auto aspect ratio is such a nice feature. Didn’t realize I needed it until now.

1 Like

Yeah, I thought it was an interesting idea, then the more I tried it out the more I liked it! :smile:

Let me know if you find any cores that don’t use the right aspect ratio.

The added scanlines don’t like bright colors. Here is the new the version vs the previous one.

4 Likes

Ok, thanks for pointing this out. To clarify I think you are saying that the scanlines are disappearing over the bright areas?

I did make a change on the fake scanlines that fades out the scanline effect when it’s bright, like in a bright sky, but I think it’s falling down here. I think I’ll put in a parameter to control this to adjust how much the scanlines fade out on bright areas.

EDIT: Could you post a core res image of this example with GPU Screenshot OFF? This will help me test :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sure, here you go.

3 Likes

The Mega Bezel Shader is updated to V 2020-06-07

Changes:

• Fixed Fake scanlines so scanlines would appear properly on light colors, added a light color cutoff parameter so this can be adjusted
  • Fixed up the core sampling res mult & interlace trigger so they work together properly

Here’s some screenshots

Vagrant Story at 4X internal res with fake scanlines

Vagrant Story at 4X internal res with adjusted sampling res vertically to get real 240p scanlines

Here’s what the core res sampling setting looks like for this result

I added in debug info about the sampling res in the debug text

Core Res Sampling changed on Y axis

7 Likes

Nice result and cool quick update! That core res sampling trick is genius! Can I assume this will work on N64?

BTW…

@HyperspaceMadness I am counting 23 updates since 2020-03-09. Impressive work!

3 Likes

Thanks, it’s a fun thing to work on, :slight_smile:

Yup, this will work for the N64 preset as well :smile: .

EDIT: Since in the N64 preset the last scalefx pass increases the initial resolution to 3x.The core sampling res multiple is set to 2, so that it samples the scalefx pass at 2x the core res, so something like 640x480.

4 Likes

The added scan-lines look better. I noticed in your screen shots they don’t follow the curvature. Look at the HP and MP bar for example. Sorry to be that person that keeps noticing the small things as this is my favorite retroarch shader. (I’m also cool with not having curvature with fake scan lines as they are nice bonus already.)

3 Likes

Hi, it’s no problem pointing this out, I’m glad you like the shader :slight_smile: . The fake scanlines have actually never had curvature, this is primarily to avoid moire artifacts.

I think I actually tried it with curvature when I was implementing it and got horrible moire. I can try it out again to see if there’s any way around it.

3 Likes

I have a question regarding Masks : I have a 2560x1440 monitor, should I use a 1080p or a 4K mask for better quality ?

2 Likes

The mask size is a bit of a taste thing. The mask size 2 (4k) is really just scaling the mask up by 2.

For your situation I would suggest trying mask size 2(4k), if it looks too coarse, then you want mask size 1(2k).

2 Likes

Thanks. I kinda like the mask 2 with HSM_Bezel_CRT_SM shader ; I’m trying to make it look as close as Royale, without the ugly uneven scanlines I get with Royale.

2 Likes

Wow, I found the solution to my “ugly scanlines” problem with CRT-Royale ! :smiley: It was actually the “Black level” option ; setting it to a negative value makes those ugly greenish lines appear ; setting it to “0” completely solves the problem !

2 Likes

Ah! Thanks for pointing this out, I’ll do something to address this, even if it’s just setting black level to 0 on Royale.

Could you post a screenshot of the strange green scanlines you mentioned, so I can know what you are seeing?

2 Likes