Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

:flushed: Seems like it’s just me who uses Royale… and that’s the only one I use, I really like the bloom effect on letters and the old crt feel you get on it. It kinds of remind me the old low quality CRT TV I used when I was a kid. :sweat_smile: Anyway if you someday feel like implementing the cropping in that shader, I would really appreciate it. :+1:

By the way, I really love your work, it’s amazing and I’m very impressed with the whole idea and quality of the result. The only missing feature that I would love was to be able to set a color for the frame bezel, so it could match the background images, I use it with different background images of different CRT TV, and some have silver tones, other gray in dark and light variants. The current frame color in like dark gray only.

3 Likes

I use Royale as well. It seems to match closest to the old monitors I used to have.

1 Like

@pnkiller78

I really should let HSM answer this but I can’t resist.

These settings in the shader parameters let you set the color of the bezel & frame. They are HSB/HSV so you can sample the needed color in an image using your image editor of choice and dial in the color perfectly within the shader.

There really are a lot of parameters in these shaders, they are the “Mega” in the “Mega Bezel Reflection Shader”.

@HyperspaceMadness The need for a comprehensive guide shows itself once again. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yeah I’ll try to get to this at some point, I’ll put it on the TODO list so I don’t forget it :slight_smile:

Thanks! Let me know if there’s any other feedback you have on it.

Sounds like @Duimon is already on that one!, Thanks Duimon :slight_smile: You also have Duimon to thank for this feature because he requested it!

1 Like

@Duimon

These settings in the shader parameters let you set the color of the bezel & frame.

:joy: I really missed that one…

They are HSB/HSV so you can sample the needed color in an image using your image editor of choice and dial in the color perfectly within the shader.

I don’t know how to do that, but start looking for a tutorial on how to do that, honestly the little I know about images and colors are the RGB values, and HTML representation of colors. And like HSM said, thanks for thinking on this one before. :ok_hand:

@HyperspaceMadness Honestly, this work make justice to its name “Mega”, it has a lot of features that I don’t even know how to use. The same day I saw it in the forums, I got exited and started to migrate my overlay setups to use this along with the images I used on the overlays. Most of the thing that I have done on my setup are the result of trial and error, and other times me trying to replicate some fancy screenshot posted by other users on the result they had obtained. Anyway, thanks man for your work, I really appreciate it, your contribution to retroarch using your skills and talent is priceless, I’m pretty aware that this kind of work requires time, dedication and effort. Thanks a lot.

4 Likes

Hi! I’m new to the forums and wanted to sign up just to tell you that I absolutely love these shaders! They’re beautiful.

I also wanted to note that for the new split screen feature, it does not work well with 3DS when put side-by-side, as the 3DS has a slightly different aspect ratio for the top and bottom screen - 400 x 240 for top, 320 x 240 pixels for bottom, so the size of the top screen bleeds into the other screen.

1 Like

Hi @Chaoclypse, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback, this is something that I’m aware of and will address some time in the near-ish future. When we start to have access to a higher max parameter limit (which should be the next retroarch version) I should be able to put in a parameter to drive where the screen splits, since it blindly splits in the center right now.

And ideally at some point I’ll try to do autodetection of the resolution to split automatically and set the center automatically.

2 Likes

Sharing more WIP. Based in the work from @Duimon sf2hf-200717-202944

6 Likes

Hi all, I wanted to query everyone to see how many of you might be using cores with a high resolution, e.g. 1920x1080 core resolution.

Most presets have a number of passes added at the core resolution, before the CRT shader, e.g. mdapt, gtu, scalefx. This doesn’t have much of an effect on performance when your core is lower res, like 320x240 (something similar for all arcade age games) but it does have an effect if the core is higher res.

I quickly put a preset together which took all of these features out and it ran about 50% faster:

• 90fps with all the extra passes (MDAPT, ScaleFX, GTU)
  • 130fps with the extra core res passes removed

These presets would have GTU, MDAPT & ScaleFX removed, but all the other features of the Mega Bezel would still be available.

Here’s my tester, Metroid Prime running at 1920x1080 core res

Anyways please let me know how interesting you think this is.

4 Likes

When a core has the option to turn up the internal resolution I usually turn it up a bit. If this counts as a high res core then count me as one on the list, although with scanlines I usually don’t go to 1920 x 1080, it just feels wrong.

2 Likes

Yup, this counts :wink:

Whenever a higher res image comes out of the core, like setting PSX to 2X or 4X

1 Like

I up the resolution in both N64 and PS1, but I always downscale within the core option to native resolution. I use 2x in Dolphin.

1 Like

When you say you downscale in the core options, do you mean the normal options menu in retroarch, or the parameters in the shader?

I’d be ok with those being out for a faster preset. I like that your shader keeps a nice look on almost any emulator and resolution. My higher resolutions are usually for Dreamcast games, followed by some PSX1 upscaling and maybe occasionally playing a Dos game at a higher resolution.

1 Like

Hey everyone, check this out!

1 Like

The option in Retroarch cores, not the shader.

1 Like

What my dear colleagues think about it?

My object is to make one for each great arcade developer (snk, capcom, konami…). Since it still a WIP, I would like some thoughts and recommendations.

3 Likes

I like the concept and the execution. The current night image doesn’t work very well for regular art it seems. If you’d like I can take your graphic and see if I can come up with a night image that shows off the art more.

Please, I would love it. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsuPG_t4-2LNh7seKXiA0ZG6Anlwtg?e=guvSBK