Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Just a quick work!

2 Likes

Hi @BendBombBoom, I finally tried this out and turn on upscaling 4x and downscaling 1/4 and I haven’t seen any issues with the fake scanlines or the cropping…

I’ll see if I can repeat. It’s been so long I forgot about it as well.

@HyperspaceMadness Have you looked at the lastest slang mame_hlsl shader? It has scanline scaling and rolling scanlines. I originally thought the rolling scanlines might work well with higher fake scanlines to help hide where things don’t like up but now I’m not so sure.

Still I think it is an interesting idea to look at.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll take a look at it, thanks for the heads up :slight_smile: .

is it possible to combine this with the bigblur shader? so instead of the carbon background it uses the blurry gameplay effect as the background?

@0:43

He has something similar, the glass presets.

i know, but i like the frame

So you want the normal bezel & frame, but outside where you currently see the carbon fiber you want to see a blurry reflection like there in the glass preset?

2 Likes

I’d like to see it yer, not sure yet if it will be any good haha. but if it’s easy to try, why not.

1 Like

Shouldn’t be too difficult, but will probably require a parameter to be added, so it might have to wait until the next release of retroarch with the upped parameter count.

2 Likes

We get an upped parameter count available? That’s fire.

1 Like

Yeah I put in a tweak that changes the max parameter count to 256, max textures to 16 and max shader passes to 64.

1 Like

Mega Bezel is updated to V 2020-07-22

Changes:

• ALL PRESETS & SHADERS MOVED and RENAMED!!!
    • Everything has been moved to shaders_slang/bezel
    • Presets renamed to try to make it easier to choose
  • New Simplified Presets for better performance especially on high res cores
    • These remove the extra passes before the crt pass (MDAPT, ShaderFX, GTU)
  • Fixed Fake scanlines to respect horizontal vs vertical scanline direction

Here’s a breakdown of the preset names, They are basically sorted by performance, the slowest :open_mouth: and most flexible :smiley: are at the top and as the index number gets higher they get faster :smiley: and less flexible :open_mouth:

13 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness

Simply brilliant organization my friend. I can’t wait to test it out!

1 Like

Let me know if it helps, and if you have any feedback.

A quick note I just updated the names slightly so they sort properly in Retroarch, because originally it was sorting 1 after 1.1 so I renamed stuff so it sorts the properly.

I hope it helps, I just counted and there’s 27 of them, yikes! :exploding_head:

I’m also thinking that now we have simplified versions who’s focus is on running faster that perhaps we can add the split screen to all the base presets and get rid of the split-screen specific preset.

I’m still hoping there might be some way to speed up the split screen stuff, but I don’t know if will be possible yet.

1 Like

Yeah, I think we can worry about performance a little less.

1 Like

That is a lot of presets! I got me thinking. Do you think there could be a way to add a toggle that basically switches between some of the presets? Like for example, the “Glass” and the “night” presets just seem to be visual changes as far as i am aware. It be neat if you could toggle a setting on that would automatically apply that look, although I don’t know if it is possible to that within the current shader system.

1 Like

It’s an interesting idea, there are a few presets which are just adjusting parameters, some of these would be the night (This is just dialing up opacity on the top image), Vector, & N64 ones. The rest of the presets are actually different structurally, by this I mean choosing different passes.

The glass ones currently use #defines to turn on the glass effect which means that a different shader file needs to be used which references the main code (with #include) and adds the #define which turns on the glass effect. Although the glass effect might be able to be a parameter to turn on, at that point it would be all parameter changes.

If I can get the preset saving to only save parameter overrides then these presets could just be a reference to the base preset then the parameter changes.

Having a toggle to swap between sets of parameter values might be possible although you’d have to add some additional way to do this in retroarch, which in the end I’m not sure would be simpler than just having different presets to choose.

Still it’s an interesting, it’s something like choosing a base preset then choosing variations of that preset which are just parameter adjustments and so are fast to apply and don’t require reloading the shader, and ideally you wouldn’t need to choose them from directories, you would just step through the options. Although if there are texture changes the retroarch would actually have to load/initialize the new shader.

Maybe you could have the preset in a folder, then have a file named the same and instead of .slangp it would be .variation or something and it would point to other files which would have the settings for each variation.

Pretty interesting idea, then you would have only one preset for each preset with a unique set of shader passes, and all the variations would be easily accessable in retroarch.

First step is getting only changed parameters saved and loaded in retroarch which is something I’m starting to work on now.

3 Likes

Your work with these shaders is incredible. Appreciate!

Hey, did you remove the old option to extend the image inside the Bezel?

I use this pack in combination with overlays that I created myself. Perhaps my case is more specific. But now, it is more difficult to find the correct alignment of the corners, without affecting the bezel and reflections of the corners.

Before, I could adjust the frame first and keep it intact, then I could adjust only the image and bezel, keeping the beautiful edges of the frame.

Is there an option that does the same function in this new version?

2 Likes