Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

I’ve tried to load the beta shader but it gives me this error:

[ERROR] [Vulkan]: Exceeded maximum number of parameters.

[ERROR] [Vulkan]: Failed to create preset:

“D:\Retro\shaders\shaders_slang\bezel\hsm__MEGABEZEL__0__GUEST-DrVENOM.slangp”.

[ERROR] [Vulkan]: Failed to create filter chain:

“D:\Retro\shaders\shaders_slang\bezel\hsm__MEGABEZEL__0__GUEST-DrVENOM.slangp”. Falling back to stock.

I’m using Retroarch 1.9.0

1 Like

Are you trying to run the shader from Github?

If so then I’ll need to get you a build of Retroarch which has the higher parameter count and other features required.

PM me and I’ll get you set up if you want this.

1 Like

Hey we hit a 1000 downloads of the Mega Bezel from unique IPs! (At least that’s my best guess of how it’s counted)

It was about a year ago this thread was started and I wanted to thank everyone for their support and input on the shader. It has grown a lot because of your input and encouragement!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The survey is now closed and there was some interesting info gathered, here’s some of it:

Guest Dr.Venom is the most used crt shader, seconded by Royale, Easymode and LCD image

The second favorite is Easymode image

Systems people are playing the most in order are SNES, PS1, GENESIS & Arcade image

Most Regularly used presets are the full ones image

Dual Screen is fairly important to at least half of respondents

A third of people are using both landscape and portrait mode image

2/3 of people are using NVIDIA 10xx, 20xx and we even have a couple of lucky 30xx users :wink:

Speed is good or ok for most people, but really rough for a few

Thanks again for everyone who participated in the survey and to those who gave written requests for improvements, it’s really helpful to have this info to help prioritize additions and point out things not on the radar!

Cheers!

11 Likes

Long time no see! Sadly have not had time for RA due to real life stuff. Glad to see this project is still going strong.

I decided to treat myself this chrismas and bought an LG CX. Can’t wait to see how this shader look on a 4k OLED.

1 Like

Ah too bad, hopefully you get to play over the holiday :slight_smile:

Ah very cool, I’m very interested in getting one of these as well, let me know of your experience!

One thing I learned is @c9f5fdda06 found that if you turn off “white peak” on the OLED this turns off the white led, and therefore will run as expected with sub-pixel masks.

5 Likes

I’ll keep that in mind. The “monitor” will be here next week. Can’t wait!

1 Like

I’m glad to see that glass is used by many people, which makes sense to me because most people want to fill their screens with SOMETHING and in my case it makes sense to evenly wear out my OLED TV. @HyperspaceMadness, @Duimon, @guest.r, @hunterk you’ve done a great job; thanks so much for your work – I mean that sincerely. :+1:

6 Likes

Good results on th survey. That’s the feedback of your good work.

2 Likes

I was just wondering, is there any way to make this work with @hunterk’s imgborder shader? Or replicate that effect. I’ve been trying to make it so that it looks like I’m running a Gameboy Player with the border’s being reflected but I’m having no luck.

3 Likes

Hmm, have you tried the glass preset? It shows the reflection all across the screen.

Try it out and let me know if that’s what you are looking for. :slight_smile:

The Glass Preset looks like this:

2 Likes

I think he wants this, but with the border being reflected on the bezel, mine isn’t reflecting because the Gameboy Player border is just an overlay.

To do this I had to load the Gameboy Player border as an image in Retroarch, then apply HSM with my custom preset to create the effects in the border (scalines, curvature), save the image, load in GIMP create an alpha channel in the middle and cut off everything except the GBA Player border, then I loaded the GBA game, the HSM and the overlay, after that I used the crop overscan to fit the game within the overlay. Yeah, a lot of work.

2 Likes

In the next version if I add another parameter to control the blend mode of the colored gel image this could be achieved by setting the Gameboy Player border image as the Colored Gel image, this way it will composite over the image in the tube area and also reflect in the bezel area.

3 Likes

I thought of this, but the gel layer is confined/masked to the tube so the border would cover the screen instead of border it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think they would have to set a really big negative crop to add the extra space to get the image into the middle of the tube

Ha ha, not really an exact science :wink:

1 Like

If it works I can think of a lot of uses for it. I’ll play around with it a bit using current blending modes.

2 Likes

The only thing I think which will be a bit off is that the colored gel image goes on top of the black edge, but we can probably put in a toggle for this.

1 Like

The time has come.

4 Likes

Cool!, You must be in Canada :wink:

Allumage Automatique is the best :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been exposed! It was not actually suppose to come in till the 24th. Big surprise. I am actually working right now so I can’t set it up until later.

In the meantime it will be right behind me, taunting me.

2 Likes

Now the only thing left is you have to deal with LG WebOS - THE biggest abomination of a OS I have ever used. I have a 55" LG NANO, and the OS is something that makes you want to throw that TV out of the window. I would rather have Windows ME installed, it’s that bad.

4 Likes