Megathread: "Which ROMs work with Lakka?"

Thanks for this additional info markwkidd.

After some digging, i have found these scripts that should work on indexing not recognized roms, since my problem is not only with MAME but also when creating playlists that have some SNES custom ROMS… I’ll try this at home.

This bounty you have linked seems interesting, but in my modest opinion, a more “direct” approach would be "folder X -> core X, folder Y -> core Y, scan databases for game metadata, and do not ignore those games without info, creating playlist entry with only the ROM name’. This method is used by 2 other systems and to me, they are “fine” to be used when i configure Rpi3 boxes to my friends :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link to hdbreaker’s script, I have not seen that one and I thought I knew about all the playlist scripts out there!

If you’re using Windows on your main PC, Playlist Buddy has a GUI and a similar featureset.

Thanks also for the flowchart on folder-based scanning. That is pretty intuitive. Would you be interested in adding it to the github issue as a new comment? Or do you mind if I add it as a new comment, in case that turns out to be more viable?

It will be great if you could add this info to the issue, since you have a better view of the entire subject.

I know Lakka has it’s ways to manage playlists, but a more simple approach would make the project more attractive.

I see so much more potential cause i had a better out-of-the box experience than other retrogaming projects with PS3 controllers, resource consumption and retroachievements integration, that having a better playlist management infrastructure will make libretro+lakka my 1st choice.

Definitely, a better way to manage playlists would be great!

Right now the sheer amount of snes roms I have crashes Lakka when I pass it in the XMB.

That needs to be fixed.

hi i have an old netbook specs atom d425 2gb ram gma 3150 and 500gb hdd would be nice to use this os in on this old netbook as a retro gaming pc but i wanted to know what systems will run on this old netbook thanks

Hi All, I’m new to Raspberry Pi (3b+) and Linux in any variant but am slowly learning. I’ve had little to no troubles with PSX, SNES, NES and Sega MS but big headaches with N64 (researching that now). Which makes me ask, what other consoles are a struggle for Newbies? Sega Saturn, Dreamcast or Game Cube?

Why lakka 2.2 on RPi2 does not have citra and dolphin core?

because RPi2 is much too weak to run them.

Not to be rude but, will gamelists still be based on “Known Roms” on Lakka? Lakka team has any interest on making gamelists based on 1:1 folders x cores instead of rom checksums?

I just got a Raspberry Pi 4 and I know that Lakka is in Alpha for this system, but I wanted to try. I downloaded from here: http://nightly.builds.lakka.tv/Lakka-LE9.2/latest/RPi4.arm. Is that correct? When I boot, and then go to my Windows 10 pc, it shows the LAKKA network share, and contains 14 items: Backup, Configfiles, Downloads, Emulators, etc., but no Roms folder. What am I missing?

You should be able to just make a ROMs folder in there. Where it looks for ROMs is dictated by the ‘file browser’ location in settings > directory, so you should be able to point it wherever you want

Good to know about the setting. But I think it’s a list of samba shares, so I don’t think I can just create a Roms folder.

What I want to know is, why is it not there to start with, especially when all the tutorials just say to browse to the roms folder and put games there, don’t say anything about the possibility that it won’t be listed as a samba share.

HI im new here but i cant seem to find how to post a new thread. im sure this has been answered somewhere before. but i cannot get Lakka 2.3.1 to boot to my old PC’s from USB i’ve googled and seen other forms and answers and it appears to be an issue with the 64bit version of the image file. is there anything i can do or can i use the 32bit version on a 64 bit system?

Hi,

Any chance of getting Apple 2 emulator included in Lakka? I think retropie includes it.

Thanks,

Jussi

Is there a way to play gamecube games on lake??? :interrobang:

Hi girls and guys, I don’t find out where to start a new topic. Are new members not allowed to start a discussion, or am I maybe blind :smile:

I put my question here this time (if it’s ok, otherwise admins can put it in an other topic) :

I’ve got the “official” experimental version of Lakka 2.3.1 for NVidia (Vulkan, PC X86_64, NVidia GT 730) and could not play any PSP or PS2 ROMS. There are black screen only, then the menu restarts.

Before, I’ve tested the official 2.3.2 and the PSP games were running, but no GamCube games.

How can I run PSP and PS2 on this build? Is there any update yet (nightly) or any tips?

Do I have to put in bios files and cores manually in this version?

well, BIOS files are always put in manually:thinking:

Ok, thank you.

Then I’ll search for some bios

Monster Rancher 2 works. You have to use a .m3u file for disc swapping though. If you try to swap using legacy method it will crash the emulation and delete your save file. In theory with a .m3u file, you could make an entire library of monsters to pull into the game. You’d want to keep a list handy so you know which one of the monsters you want to pull but it makes the game playable mostly as intended. I have yet to test methods of using “slate stone” (Save files of Monster Rancher 1) for monster generation yet.

Only annoying thing I’ve noticed is that pausing the game causes the music to buzz. It does not do that on actual hardware.

1 Like

Hello everyone, I’m new to Lakka/Libretro.

The documentation at http://www.lakka.tv/doc/Arcade/ is out of date.

It states:

Lakka ships two emulators able to launch arcade ROMs: MAME2003 and FBA

In Lakka, we recommend you to use FBA with an FBA v0.2.97.38 split ROM set. RetroArch doesn’t support merged sets anyway. But if you really need to run more games, choose MAME2003 with a MAME0.78 splitted ROM set

But my fresh install of Lakka (build date: Jan 20 2020) only has the following arcade cores:

• FinalBurn Neo

• MAME 2003-Plus

• MAME 2010

I also read this stickied thread but it also seems to contain old info.

I installed Lakka on an old laptop, a 2012 ThinkPad. What core would be recommended, and what exact ROM version would be needed?

Related question, what would be the correct way of reporting to the project the need to update the docs? Would it help if I opened a bug in an official tracker?

Thank you!