Megathread: "Which ROMs work with Lakka?"

Opened issue 942 on the project tracker

any idea on how to get FBA working? whenever I select the core, I get the Lakka icon boot screen and it just resets. it was caused by me downloading the wrong core I think. Iā€™m on RPI 0 with NOOBS install BTW.

Did you get the right rom versions. Arcade roms are created to be either MAME or FBNeo (Formally FBA).

Also as for MAME they have different romset versions that need the right MAME version(Core) to work with. IE Mame 2003+ need MAME 0.78 version roms up to 0.188

https://retropie.org.uk/docs/MAME/

Some places like Archive and ArcadePunks has good resources to find well organized and thoughtfully put together rom sets.

Hereā€™s a video tutorial on MAME

Hi team,

Could update the compatibility list in the link below, which currently doesnā€™t show the Pi 4. I just read that now you support the 64bit OS, Vulkan, and Dolphin on Pi4 on Lakka 3.1. That will be good to show as well. Also, to add this compatibility list to the main menu because it was hard to find. Thank you.

-Missing Pi4 compatibility list

https://www.lakka.tv/doc/Hardware-support/

-Vulkan for Dolphin 64bits on Pi4 announcement.

i agree, please make lakka more user friendly

cutie_cat

I believe emulator front-ends in general have are not user friendly and will put off people who attempt to try them for the first time out of not getting them to work right off the bat. Easily written off by when looked from the perspective of a tech savy person. Itā€™s the combined difficulty and learning curve that people end up resorting to buying those already put together. I do feel you on that one though.

1 Like

Until Retroarch was on the scene, emulation was really an enthusiast thing, and those enthusiasts were tech savvy.

Give it time and I think it will all move in the right direction. I think the toughest hurdle, right now, is getting a good bios collection.

On that topic, I wonder how many RA bios could be gotten from a complete MAME ROM set. :thinking:

How many people know that SCPH1001.BIN is the same as MAMEā€™s psu/ps-22a.bin?

2 Likes

I recall coming across some bios that were corrupted. And in the case of some NEC systems the bios files was harder to find than the actual roms.