Mini PC spec suggestions to run 3DO

Hi, I’m looking to get a mini PC that will serve as a retro emulation console. I’m working on a tight budget, $150 barebones. The best processor I found was a Pentium 3805U Broadwell 1.9 GHz (the others were mostly Celeron N2807/N3050/3205U/1007U or Atom series). I guess the 3805U is more than enough for 8- and 16-bit games, but I’m looking to run games for the 3DO and Jaguar. My question is: would I be able to play 3DO games at full speed with that processor? I was initially planning on just doing a RPi3 build, but it appears that it can’t do 3DO games, so I tried to look for a more powerful but compact PC.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

I’ll try it out on mine see what it does.

1 Like

So far I’ve tried to games and the emulator doesn’t recognize him as missing firmware

It will need the 3DO firmware described in this table: https://github.com/libretro/Lakka/wiki/BIOSes

Haven’t place that in yet should I do it manually or set it in as a download off of a flash drive and or hard drive

The only way I have installed BIOSes is to copy them via Samba from my PC to Lakka’s “System” folder as described in that BIOS link as well as here: http://www.lakka.tv/doc/Accessing-Lakka-filesystem/

Haven’t try samba yet

I think 3DO is doable, but not Jaguar.

I took some screenshots showing CPU usage on my Core i5-3450 (Ivy Bridge 3.1 GHz). Retroarch with 4DO had some headroom left (and using the “High Resolution” option; twice the internal resolution) But Virtual Jaguar was skipping frames in AvP and Tempest2000. Surprisingly, Need For Speed seemed to force 4DO to use 2 cores.

Anyway, results in Lakka may vary, I used Retroarch on Windows 10 (with 16gb or ram)

hello, i do not want to hijack this post however, emulator list has increased with lakka 2.0 (libreelec) ant the bios list in lakka wiki appear to belong to v1 version (openelec) is there somewhere an updated required bios list? thanks

How to install lakka in dual boot? Ubuntu + windows + lakka? On PC intel.