Multiple Bluetooth controllers

With the release of the Rpi 3 with natural Bluetooth support, and a long thread of how to get Bluetooth to work with Rpi2 I have a question…

How many Bluetooth controllers can I connect at once? I currently have 3 NES/SNES/Genesis-> USB Adapaters but its a lot of wires and a lot of hooking up everytime I take my Pi somewhere to game. I want to simplify it by putting some Bluetooth SNES Controllers together I see quite a few on Amazon.

Question is, I know Bluetooth is spotty when connecting multiple devices, but PS3/4 seems to do it just fine…

Is it possible to get a 4 man game going with 4 bluetooth controllers or is this a pipe dream?

2x 8bitdo NES30 and 2x 8bitdo FC30

So that means I could technically get a 4 man going if I wanted to?

Honestly, I play Turtles, Xmen, and Sunset Riders with 4 people often and I want to make sure that’s still possible with the wireless and once I get it set up its less hassle as well.

[QUOTE=KushielAOC;36097]So that means I could technically get a 4 man going if I wanted to?

Honestly, I play Turtles, Xmen, and Sunset Riders with 4 people often and I want to make sure that’s still possible with the wireless and once I get it set up its less hassle as well.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I have two 8bitdo sfc30 controllers and I don’t recommend them, ever. I would return them if I could.

Lakka and Linux in general have a problem with these controllers, you can’t have them both working at the same time without MAJOR hurdles and they’re constantly unpairing. It’s everything but convenient.

If you want wireless without hassle I think the best bet is a xbox 360 usb RF receiver and XBOX 360 controllers.

1 Like

For me they work well, I have 2 8bitdo nes30 pros, 2 nes30 and 2 [undisclosed] and they always re-pair without issues

[QUOTE=kossak;36358]Honestly, I have two 8bitdo sfc30 controllers and I don’t recommend them, ever. I would return them if I could.

Lakka and Linux in general have a problem with these controllers, you can’t have them both working at the same time without MAJOR hurdles and they’re constantly unpairing. It’s everything but convenient.

If you want wireless without hassle I think the best bet is a xbox 360 usb RF receiver and XBOX 360 controllers.[/QUOTE]

I want the “Classic controller feel” and I’m a Playstation guy on top of that… So offering me an Xbox solution is maddening. There are 2 others saying it isn’t a problem, is there something in particular that you had experience with that maybe I can look out for?

Also, since you want to return them want to sell them to me for cheap? :smiley:

If you’re a playstation guy, the PS3 bluetooth pads work well for people.

2 Likes

Hi all. Is this confirmed? Can I use 2 PS3 bluetooth pads and it would work? I’m planning to buy a 2nd controller but I’d like to be sure that I can use the 2nd pad before I buy.

I have a Dual Shock 4 and an 8bitdo SFC30 and they both work well at the same time via bluetooth.

1 Like

Thanks @metchebe ! Much appreciate your feedback.

I’ve been having some issues getting those to behave reliably. On my RPI3, When I have a controller connected via Bluetooth there is a noticeable delay in the system processing inputs from the controller. I’ve tried with multiple DS4s, NES30 Pros, an NES30, and an SN30. The 8bitdo controllers have been upgraded to the latest firmware. Has anyone else experienced this?

setting up an MS-DOS PC from 1985 is much easier to do, than playing with Blutooth devices on Lakka :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t see setting up old PC’s as being that hard. Just plug the peripherals in the hole that looks similar to the end. PLug it in, turn it on. I guess you could say you need to type the pathway to whatever you want to run. Even then, computers are a lot more complicated to set up today than they were 30 years ago :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes. I have had varying experiences (from core to core even). Sometimes it’s really bad but sometimes it’s OK.

In my case, I have gotten the most lag with the DS4, the SFC30 has had the least (not extensively tested).

I use a Raspberry Pi3 with 4x PS3 controllers connected via Bluetooth. Works flawlessly.

Very easy to set up. Just attach the controller once via cable, press the PS button, let it connect. Then it can connect wirelessly via the PS button from that point onwards.

Word of warning: 4-player PSX games are fiddly because you must enable the Multitap under the emulator options for the extra controllers to work. I suggest saving a per-game config file for 4-player PSX games as other games often don’t support Multitap and will fail to recognise your player 2 controller with the setting enabled…