Multiple PS4 Dualshock 4 controllers via bluetooth Raspberry Pi 3

Hi everybody!

I’ve been using Lakka on a Raspberry Pi 3 with a New Dualshock 4 controller via bluetooth with no problems at all for a few weeks now. When I switch on the Pi all I need to do is press the PlayStation button and the controller connects in seconds. Also the mapping is spot on and works well with all the cores/emulators I have tried. I followed the instructions in the official Lakka documentation:

http://www.lakka.tv/doc/Wireless-Dualshock/

These are a bit better layed out (same thing though):

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sony_DualShock#DualShock_4

So I got another New Dualshock 4 controller and tried connecting it via bluetooth just like I did the first, but when I do so, the first one stops working. I can see both are paired device, but the new one only temporary connects and then instantly disconnects. Only one works at a time.

Has anyone been able to use multiple bluetooth controllers with the Raspberry Pi builtin bluetooth a the same time? Any ideas what I can do to fix the issue?

Obviously, I could just use a USB cable, that should work fine, but I’d rather use bluetooth.

Thanks in advance.

I’ve had no problems using 4 PS3 controllers.

The process to set them up is to attach them via the cable and press the PS button. Wait for the controller to stop blinking and show your player number. Then you can detach the controller and connect it via Bluetooth by pressing the PS button. Note! when you connect the controller again via Bluetooth, Lakka will assign it to the next number up which can get a bit annoying. If you restart the system and reconnect your controllers via Bluetooth it’ll work properly.

One other thing to be aware of is that third-party controllers often do not work properly.

I have two Dualshock 4 controllers and I paired them, but never played with both at the same time. I’ll try and let you know.

OK, I started from scratch. Removed/unpaired both controllers and then started from the start adding each controller one after another and now it works. I can use two Dualshock 4 controllers at the same time.

Once they are paired, all you have to do is press the Playstation button from them to connect. When you shutdown Lakka the controllers switch off automatically.

Thanks for your help anyway!

@Flipbug - have you been able to play 4 player split screen games with 4 PS3 controllers at the same time over bluetooth?

Sure have! Crash Bash on the PSX (just remember to enable the Multitap in settings!) and a handful of MAME games.

I wanted to bump this thread. Been trying to connect a 2nd controller to my ri4b. Following this guide: https://www.lakka.tv/doc/Wireless-Dualshock/#authorize-the-dualshock-controller - but not getting it to work

I’ve noticed that instead of the blue text in the picture saying bluetooth, it says ‘Wireless controller’ instead of ‘Bluetooth’ as it did when I connected the first controller. Maybe this picture tells more than my lousy English :slight_smile:

I’m just getting started with the pi so please bear with me.