My Realistic Arcade Bezels

I’d love to have such a screen reflection as in these overlay but rather clean (without scratches and stains) and for 1440p resolution. Is it possible that somebody told me how to make it?

A user named Retrochan already did that to my bezels but not in 1440p. He’s done 1 thru 29. Don’t know if he’ll do 30 and 31.

I don’t see it anywhere and I wanted only the screen reflection because I want to use it for PSX games, pity.

Hi OrionsAngel :slight_smile:

Great work as always. I like the restoration work you’ve done on the artworks, it’s obvious when you look at the previous and latest SF2 and BBatMan artworks, which are much sharper and more vibrant.

I have mostly finished my overlay pack, with the “realistic” pack including many of your works, along with most of John Merit’s, who did many “integer-scale” versions, so I kept those even when they were not as good-looking.
It includes your latest creations, I always keep an eye on this thread :wink:

Thank you for your awesome work, I hope you’ll keep making them for a while :slight_smile:

1 Like

@embe : unzip the artworks, and search in each archive (yeah it might take a while) : some have separate images for each element : one for the artwork, one for the screen borders, and one for the screen surface. You can then take this last image and adapt it in another overlay.

1 Like

Hey OrionsAngel :slight_smile:

I don’t know how you choose the games you want to make overlays for, but if you ever want inspiration, the Retropie forum has a “MAME Random of the Week” section : https://retropie.org.uk/forum/category/16/mame-random-of-the-week
It’s a member of the forum who randomly selects 3 games, then users vote for the game they want to play.

Sometimes there are very well-known game, sometimes they’re not very good, sometimes they’re incredibly weird, and sometimes you find hidden gems.

I hope you find things you like, there :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll check it out!

@cosmo0

If you’re talking about vert_screen_bezel.png or vert_screen_mask.png they open in Photoshop without transparency… it’s either black or white. _bezel_alt.png it’s just nothing but blank image.

No, not the bezel.
I don’t want to check out the 300 overlays, but I’m sure I have seen some of them where the screen glare is a separate file.

Or you can just cutout the screen in the existing overlays with Photoshop.

Here is a sample, grabbed from Derek Moore packs (which I’m pretty sure comes from OrionsAngel) :

Hi cosm0, I started to split Ryan’s artwork in this repository:

The lay files I created are platform independent, whereas Ryan’s layout are dependent on Windows.

I just took the bezel and split it into Cabinet and Screen (in GIMP). The beauty of the MAME lay files is that you can add several layers. So I can switch on and off the scratched screen.

For Retroarch, I separated the screen into another layer in GIMP, then I adjusted the Alpha Channel so that it looked good to me, and then merged it into a jpg again.

Needless to say that I struggle with Ryan’s output ;-). I am still beginning to find a structure of files I like, this is where Github helps.

Cheers and good luck.

2 Likes

That screen is originally John Merrit’s at least that’s who I first saw use it. I want people to know that as far as I know John started all this with the realistic Arcade bezels and much of his work has been used by many in the community including me. Over time I have deviated from his original assists and started doing my own things, but that screen remains John Merrits. That has to be said.

That screen gets a lot of complaints that it’s too scratchy and too dark. Then I cleared it up, but the complaints kept coming. Retrochan then made them very clear but now they no longer look like monitor screens. It’s almost like it doesn’t have a screen. Which is fine if you like them like that, but I like the John’s monitor screen look with the scratches and reflections. It makes it more realistic. I’m trying to find a middle ground that makes everyone happy.

That’s great work Estefan3112! Your contributions are appreciated.

My pleasure. You already covrered nearly all of my all time favorites with compelling versions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, personnaly I like these very visible scratches and reflections. I’m currently going through all games to check that my configs are correct and that every game works, and I really like the effect. It makes playing these games really cool. 30-years-old games with 4 colors suddenly become fun to watch and play. Without it they’re just really old-looking games.

I have found an integer-scaled template here (I like integer scale…) but compared to your work it’s much too clean-looking… it’s really missing something.

1 Like

Here is part 32 of my realistic Arcade Bezels for Mame

You can download them here - http://bit.ly/2FuZVP2

5 Likes

Great work, as usual :slight_smile:

Nice work on Turbo, the overlay I had was very blurry (I think it was John Merit’s ?), yours is quite sharp.
I also like what you’ve done on 19xx.

1 Like

It was brought to my attention that Gold Medalist is not a vertical game. I figured as much from the slider settings but the bezel was clearly vertical. So I went by that. I’ve now fixed it. You’ll have to redowload the package to get it.

http://bit.ly/2FuZVP2

3 Likes

Here’s my realistic bezel for the rare Nintendo Arcade game, Sky Skipper for Mame

You can download it here - http://bit.ly/2HOLIxd

3 Likes

Here is part 33 of my realistic Arcade Bezels for Mame

You can download them here - http://bit.ly/2H1lbvu

6 Likes

Kickass work. You really help in bringing the arcade experience home.

Do you think you could do Truxton next?

1 Like