Nedi + Super Sampling + CRT = Awesome

Thanx to the super sampling now Nedi and XBR can work great on pre-rendered background games as well even though you play in higher IR. Not really any point in modding pc versions anymore, is there… ?

3 Likes

That golden saucer pic, in particular, looks fantastic.

1 Like

Could someone explain to me, how to do this? It looks fantastic!

The easiest way is to enable supersampling in the beetle psx hw core (needs vulkan) and then as shader select shaders_slang/denoisers/crt-fast-bilateral-super-xbr.slangp. This will give you a CRT shader with XBR upscaling.

1 Like

Here are some more images :slight_smile:

1 Like

So basically I need to use Vulkan to get super-sampling, then I can just use slang shaders (nedi or xbr, along with whatever CRT chain)?

Yeah. Remember to increase the internal resolution in beetle (like 4x or even higher) so that supersampling actually does something.

1 Like

Use vulkan to get super sampling. Then use this preset wich I call waifu2x, altough it looks nothing like it …

Then you can use Reshades crt shader over this. The only way I got it working with vulkan is to use Retroarch debug version.

It is important to not use any texture filtering.

There is sadly one Reshade shader used here that I can not share, but HQ4S should do the trick. It is barely doing anything anyway, so …

1 Like

@Mickevincent Could I just run a CRT shader at the end of that chain instead?

Also is this worth doing on 3D games or is it better for pre-rendered backgrounds?

Iam sure you can do that.

I prefer it for both type of games. Pre-rendered for obvious reasons. And 3d games because it makes all menus and text nicer. But you decide yourself :slight_smile:

1 Like

Could you possibly repost that shader chain?

My hard drive failed and I hadn’t backed it for a couple of weeks, so lost that preset… And your current link had now expired, :joy:.

iam sorry for late response. I dont longer have that file it seems :frowning:

2 Likes

My hopes and dreams destroyed XD!

I made another one. Its just Reshade I modified. Under Reshade there is super xbr super res.

2 Likes

Just some new images I wanted to show :slight_smile: Its just using xbr freescale and some aa for blur. Its mostly Reshade.

I read a game magazine from 93 to 2009 when they stopped making it. So I was raised on low res, high contrast blurry images when it came to games. I tried to recapture that with this preset and I think it went alright. Not trying to look like a crt at all. I cant even remember my old tv had those lines, so … nostalgia for me is more the bad printed images - look. And then I try to make it look better.

heh, I’ve seen that scorpion boss pic in print many times :stuck_out_tongue:

If you opened a game magazine in the 90s you did see at least Cloud somewhere :slight_smile:

Cant some mod change this thread title to Screenshot thread or something? And pin it like at Reshades forum? So can people show of images, if they want to without starting a new thread :slight_smile:

please can you explain exactly how did you do that ?

Wich one? They are all combos of upscalers and crt shaders with different other effects from retroarch and / or reshade. Sadly I dont think I have any preset left.