Neko Project II kai (PC-9801) core (different nekop2, meowPC98)

I see. Do you know which format I should convert these to in order to use them on this core?

edit: a lot of PC-98 CD games are distributed in this format by the way.

1 Like

I donā€™t think CD emulation is supported by the core, or any PC-98 emulator, though I would be glad to be proven wrong. The PC-88 also supported CDs but only one emulator supports them. (Not the Quasi88 in RA.)

For the PC-98 it will have to be floppy or HDD images.

You can see a list of supported file extensions by loading the core and going to the information setting, or loading the core *.info in a text editor.

It is not unusual, for preservation and future proofing, for unsupported dumps to be released into the wild.

2 Likes

Would it be possible to make the Openā€¦ directory always be the folder from which the game was opened instead of system/np2kai?

CD is supported through .cmd file. cue+bin and ccd+img+sub both work fine in my test. I posted a demo of this core running Policenauts on reddit recently: https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroArch/comments/tkr8by/policenauts_1994_pc9821_retroarch_with_neko/

One version requires loading floppy, harddisk image, and CD at the same time during boot-up because some game files are installed to harddrive. Another version only needs floppy with CD because MS-DOS and game files (not the entire game, only some essential stuff) are both on floppy.

np2fmgen (http://nenecchi.kirara.st/) also supports CD (I use ā€œnp21nt.exeā€ inside for Policenauts). It uses ā€œHarddisk > IDE #2ā€ to mount CD images, which is a bit confusing.

1 Like

The only way I know is to use a .m3u file and load this .m3u inside .cmd text file like this -

np2kai game.m3u

In RetroArch, you can start .cmd with NP2Kai core. Once in the game, the ā€œOpenā€¦ā€ dialog box will immediately open the directory where .m3u is located.

In fact, you can even manually add ā€œm3uā€ to np2kai_libretro.info as supported format and load .m3u directly through RetroArchā€™s UI (so thereā€™s no more need for .cmd). It seems to work fine for multi-floppy games even though not officially supported. I was able to swap disks in FDD2 using ā€œQuick Menu > Disc Controlā€.

2 Likes

Interesting. :grin: Glad to be proven wrong. I guess any file can be passed the the core on the command line independent of the extensions in the *.info.

@2V3EvG4LMJFdRe Given this information, the syntax (Or similar) that you need for the zip can be found in this thread.

https://forums.libretro.com/t/load-files-from-archive-subdirectory-mean-multiple-files-in-a-file/36463/2

It;s possible that editing the *.info and adding ccd as an extension may be enough.

1 Like

Is it possible to use Sound Canvas VA with Neko Project II kai core?

I have setup RetroArch MIDI output to Sound Canvas VA in retroarch which is working with DOSBox Prue with Frontend MIDI driver setting within the core settings. However, I couldnā€™t find similar setting in Neko Project II kai core and same with Neko Project II core and was wondering if itā€™s even possible to make it work on the RetroArch core?

I know there was an update that brought Sound Canvas support to the standalone Neko Project II emulator but not sure if itā€™s also available with the core. But if itā€™s there please enlighten me.

Hi, does anyone know why m3u support was removed from np2kai?

Should I now use cmd files for multidisk games?

just a note to say this core currently missing on Mac/arm64 but can easily be self-built.

https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/15156 (includes core download)

Hi, is there a way to map retropadā€™s buttons?

I was trying to play Mystic Square but the ā€œslow downā€ button is the left shift key, and not assigned to any retropad button.

the emulator use button 1 and 2 and they are mapped on retropad A-B but also mirrored in X-Y. So maybe having some other remap options would be useful: shift or ctrl, maybe enter?

The only thing I found is this line in np2kai.cfg present in /system/np2kai

lrjoybtn = 11 01 12 01 14 01 13 01 78 00 7a 00 20 00 32 01 08 00 2f 01 1b 00 0d 00

no ideas otherwise :thinking:

After checking the libretro page of np2kai, I noticed that there are some keyboard buttons mapped to retropad in case we choose Joy2Key (Arrows) or Joy2Key (Keypad). unfortunately there is no Left Shift key (there is left ctrl and right shift :sob: )

Anyway, regardless of choosing, in the core options, arrows, keypad or atari joypad, there are no options to map any retropadā€™s key (quick menu -> controls -> port 1 controls -> all options are blank) in the usual unified way.

Having an issue where I get this error screen with most games now. They used to work until a crash. Gamees work with I use the neko2 core though but some games give other issues which is why Iā€™m trying to figure this error out. Hope someone can help. Translation claims its a bad interrupt occured and to press reset 21H whatever that means.

I am not sure about Neko Project 2, which is not Kai, but this is a sign that there is a problem with the disk controller via PCI on the actual machine.

Please make sure that the core options are correct and that there are no mistakes in the PCI options or corrupted FD/HD/CD images.

Neko Project 2 Kai may overwrite uncompressed roms/images directly by the game. They can be corrupted if not done properly, especially when shutting down the core. This is also true for MSXs that use FDs.

Thanks for the reply. I didnt change anything in the core options. I scrolled through the options and the only PCI option I see is one called Enable PCI, which is set to off by default. The files that seem to be giving me this 21H error are hdi files. I have a few other issues but this one is the main one Iā€™m trying to figure out for now. Iā€™ve tried with image files that werent loaded before and still get the same problem.

You mentioned errors if the core isnt shut down properly. I usually just press escape twice to close retroarch. Should I be doing something different.

What is the timestamp on the HDI file?
If it is a recent date, then the HDI file is corrupt.
Try to restore the HDI to the original.

In the case of these FD/HDs, I recommend making a backup of the originals.

Exit the game and return to the DOS command screen, then use the ESC key to shut down the core.

Shutting down the core with the ESC key when not in the DOS command screen may cause a crash because the game is still running.

If there is no way to return to the DOS command screen, the only way is to use your intuition to determine if you are not accessing the system, use F1 to disk control, eject the disk, and then use the ESC key to shut down the core.

Some games may also have an end-of-game screen. In that case, exit the game and press the ESC key according to the screen.

Ok Iā€™ll do eject disk from now on before I close it off. Regarding the time stamp, I did delete it and replace it with an older untouched hdi file but it still gave me the error. But like I mentioned before the game still loads if I use an alternate core like the neko core so I dont think the file has corruption issues. Something seems to be stuck. I tried deleting the kai core and replacing it with an older one I hadnt used but it didnt seem to fix anything.

I do not know. I canā€™t seem to help. This is because I am not using the ā€œNeko2ā€ core which is not Kai.

It is unlikely that the BIOS files are suddenly corrupted. Did the ā€œNeko2ā€ core update corrupt it in some way? Are you taking a Backup of the core? If so, would you try to restore the core, or what happens if you pull just the ā€œNeko2ā€ core from v1.16.0 of RetroArch?

Sorry, I guess I wasnt clear with my descriptions. I mean the games work with neko core. Its the kai core thats giving me issues with these errors.

Ah, I understand. So can you tell me which game title is causing the error?

Also, does Kai also solve the problem by reverting to v1.16.0 or earlier core?

Its a whole group of hdi images. Games like Farland story, Desire, Macross, Aktie, star cruiser 2, touhou etc. I havent tried reverting to 16.0 for the kai core. How do I do that? I cant seem to find any site that shows all older cores to manually download.