Neko Project II kai (PC-9801) core (different nekop2, meowPC98)

Thanks @AZO234

I’ve tried multiple cmd versions, both with relative and absolute paths relative to the cmd file (not sure which is required or if the core can use both). In the log I can see np2kai recieves the following arguments:

arg_0:np2kai
arg_1:Sim City 2000 (HD Boot disk).hdm
arg_2:Sim City 2000.hdi

But the game still will not start, so perhaps it’s the game files. Although I’ll note any game comprise of an hdm (boot disk) and hdi file I can’t get to work (games with hdi only seem to work). I’m attempting to use files from the popular “NeoKobe-NecPc-9801” set if that helps.

In .cmd file, files must be witten in Fullpath.

…It’s a bit unconvenience,
I’m trying to betterment.

I add follow features to NP2kai core.

• Betterment .cmd and .m3u list file
    .m3u files is able to witten in .cmd file.
    (This can write ‘FDs+HDD’, ‘FDs+CD’ structure in .cmd file.)
    Both list files can be written absolute/relative filepath.

• Not mount last HDD image
    This feature is for safer state saving.
    On libretro, unnecessary remembering (sticky) mount image.
    (This feature can change in core options.)

Best regard.

2 Likes

Hello everyone! I hope you’re having a good day!

First of all: thank you so much for all the work you all do on RetroArch, thank you AZO234 for all you do for the community. It’s incredible to see all the things that are being done by all the communities around the world to make retrogaming accessible to everyone, I’m so grateful.

Sorry in advance if I don’t post this message in the right place, I try to do my best. If not, please tell me how to improve, I’ll be very grateful!

So my goal today is to play the best version of Prince of Persia 2 (PoP2). According to several comparisons, it seems that the best versions are the “NEC PC-9821” and “FM Towns Marty” versions (see this video for exemple). I haven’t seen a core to emulate the “FM Towns Marty” on RetroArch, so I’m turning to the PC-98 and thus the Neko Porject II Kai core.

Here’s my problem: PoP2 needs to load both an FDI and an HDI in order to run. The problem is that I don’t know how to load these two files in RetroArch to be able to launch the game. Whether I load the FDI or the HDI I always arrive on the same black screen:

I don’t know what to do, I don’t know which button to press, I’m just lost.

I tried with the stand-alone version of Neko Project II Kai, following this tutorial: https://46okumen.com/pc-98-emulation/ The game launches well by launching “np21nt.exe”, I don’t know precisely why it is necessary to launch this executable rather than “np21.exe”, in any case it works! (although I don’t have sound, but I don’t insist more because my goal is to play it via RetroArch, and not via the stand-alone emulator).

Could you help me please?

Thank you very much in advance! Have a nice day! Take care :wink:

Mat

PS: I have also posted my questions on a Prince of Persia forum, but I doubt these people can help me with RetroArch (see my post).

To 1st trying:

FD and HD mount when core start,
It can be written in .cmd file. (for example PoP2.cmd)

np2kai "PoP2.fdi" "PoP2.hdi"

Then RA load contents, Select PoP2.cmd.

To 2nd trying:

NP2kai not equal NP2. (NP2kai is alternation for Linux and RA)
There are other NP2 for Windows variants.

‘46okunen’ probably work NP2kai.
Because ‘fmgen’ functions are embedded in NP2kai.

Good luck :+1:

46 okunen isn’t running for me and I tried CRW Metal Jacket, it seems like FDI files don’t work at all. HDI files run fine.

Yes, I have the same experience. Games with FDI and HDM files I can’t get to boot, but HDI only work.

Please tell me version number?

Edit: I can drive ‘46okunen’ with .m3u file.

Edit2: Do you install another hardware cores?

I’m using version .0.86 kai rev.21 .a2698ae I also tried out the neko project II core with the same result, FDI files would not work.

edit: I also tried the standalone emulator from https://46okumen.com/pc-98-emulation and FDI files work when using np21.exe

Could you try this latest NP2kai core?
http://domisan.sakura.ne.jp/np2kai_libretro_6c1b630.zip
(Put np2kai_libretro.dll to
C:\Users(usename)\AppData\Roaming\RetroArch\cores)

This core include fix file path by libretro’s user.

Same result FDI files not working.

Is Windows English? English International? RetroArch has any other cores?

Yes English international. The other cores I have are fbneo, flycast, gambatte, higan sfc, and mgba.

I checking with Windows 10 English International.

I couldn’t run with include Japanese character in path.
(ex. C:\Users\azo\Desktop\46億年物語\46okunen.m3u)
I could run without Japanese character path.
(ex. C:\Users\azo\Desktop\46okunen\46okunen.m3u)

.m3u file is .FDI files list.

I tried my Windows 10 English International, with 5304a3c failed to load.
I think this problem has existed before.

I was able to find an HDI file of EVO and I patched it with the english translation, it works great.

I fixed using Japanese character path on Windows10 English International. (But FDD/HDD/CD change with F12 menu yet.)

Let me see, no mod about .FDI file control.

Regard.

I have put in file destruction!
Please don’t use bd20d78 to 596b944 from my NP2kai repository.

I’m sorry so much…

Hi, I have been able to get Neko Project Kai in retroarch to boot hdi with no issues. But I get a black screen whenever I launch any other format (d88, fdi, hdm).

However, If I use Neko Project II core in retroarch, the games will launch. Unfortunately that core does not offer easy gamepad mapping like Kai, so I can’t play the games due to a lack of a numpad.

Anyone know how to launch these file types with kai? I am running the core on a Mac and Android. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Thank you. I’m sorry to everyone.
Immediately send a pull request to libretro.

This modification is included using image files with libretro’s API.

Please just a moment.