New CRT shader from Guest + CRT Guest Advanced updates

Just tried grade.slang and it probably can’t do what I want.

I believe your “raise black level” somehow works very differently. I can use very aggressive settings and still get vibrant colors with your shader. It seems only black is affected, which is what I want. With the other color shaders (grade, image-adjustment, etc), the whole picture would appear very washed out/greyish when I need a more prominent effect :sob:

2 Likes

I noticed the bsize parameter is always slightly darkening the edges of the picture, even at its max 700.

If I force it to 10000 in the preset I get the clarity back. It was quite noticeable on x68000 command prompt drive letter.

1 Like

It’s mostly beneficial, since an anti-aliasing effect takes place on borders with curvature, looks nicer in general.

1 Like

I’m more than likely being dense here but what control(s) affect the mask strength of the Lottes masks?

1 Like

Lottes maskLight and Lottes maskDark.

1 Like

CRT-Guest-Advanced for ReShade :

6 Likes

Thanks for that, so what would full mask strength be? I’m trying to see what I can do to mitigate brightness drop when using masks on my OLED. You can force HDR mode which messes with the colors but keeps brightness high and wanted to try full mask strength on the Lottes masks.

Would ideally like @Nesguy to make a preset actually of what he would like to have the shader set to if brightness was no concern.

The issue I always seem to have is not so much outright brightness loss, but perceived contrast/color saturation loss.

2 Likes

On my monitor the best I could do is Lottes maskLight = 0.50 and Lottes maskDark = 0.00

You can try that.

1 Like

Lottes maskLight = 1.00 and Lottes maskDark = 0.00 results in accurate rgb values for the phosphors (i.e., “full strength”).

@cobhc2016

3 Likes

Hi, @guest.r.

When do you intend to release the final version of your shader?

1 Like

Never, always work to be done kek.

1 Like

Since there are no bug reports and new functionalities got implemented in a ok manner compared with the latest repo version i’m taking a break with further improvements. It took much effort for this ‘current’ version and it would take a lot of perspective for another streak. :upside_down_face: Anyway thanks and regards for nice feedback and suggestions. :partying_face:

11 Likes

Sooo, what I’m hearing is test this and give me more stuff to work on.

2 Likes

You deserve a break but make sure to come back! You have a lot of fans and we eagerly await whatever you have in store next. :hugs:

5 Likes

Well deserved break too. You have (imo) by far created the best CRT shader currently available on any piece of software. Even with its default settings, nothing comes close.

Thank you.

5 Likes

I agree !! thanks you so much

5 Likes

Still loving this shader, I’ll have to do some measurements soon to see what kind of brightness I can push with the Lottes masks at full.

I did notice though that the colours change (look more warm than they should) when maxed out with Lottes maskLight = 1.00 and Lottes maskDark =0.00, but don’t with the CGWG mask (haven’t tried the Trinitron ones). Is this expected?

Also, is there any way you could port the downres feature that’s in the NTSC preset in the interlacing settings to the normal version? It’s really handy for cores like Flycast that don’t switch resolution internally down to 240p.

1 Like

I have been experimenting with the Reshade port of this shader as well and I was wondering, is there anything else happening when enabling Interlaced Mode in the shader other than adjusting the mask itself? I am not sure exactly how to describe it but when using it with PC games that use resolutions of 480p and up, I find that when moving around quickly the mask itself will bleed into itself (not like Phosphor bleed which is normal for CRTs) and it makes these lines from the mask appear on screen for a few seconds. I can’t capture a screenshot of it because it only happens when things are moving on screen but I can deduce that it would be a result of the mask trying to adjust to everything happing on screen and as a result, any fast horizontal movements results in these lines on the screen appearing from the mask (they are vertical black lines that appear for barely a second when moving around in game, but it is prominent enough to be noticeable).

Any ideas? I find that to get the mask layout that I need for using the CRT Guest Reshade port on PC games, I have to enable the interlaced mode so that the mask is fine enough for resolutions of 640x480 and up. I am not sure if this is just a drawback of CRT emulation on LCD technology or if there is something I haven’t configured correctly.

1 Like

I found the crt-guest-dr-venom2 amazing !! I’m using crt-guest-dr-venom with gaussian_horizontal-sharp for an antidither effect. I would like to know: how can I implement gaussian_horizontal-sharp in guest-dr-venom2?

screens with gaussian_horizontal-sharp + guest-dr-venom:

3 Likes

Hi there!

I know a nice setup, but it works best with the new ‘crt-guest-advanced’ iteration of the shader.

A single pass resampler is to be used instead of the first stock pass of the preset and scaling of the first pass increased to let’s say 3x.

Then nice features like x-pre scaling or downsampling can be used.

g-sharp-resampler (single pass):

Fixed version:

https://mega.nz/file/194l0aCI#Kd4ALj4fVGM31fFCrwh2HCv8i9UERhsjYm_BsQJQ_yk

Edit: for horizontal only effect this version can be used. First stock shader is to be replaced.

https://mega.nz/file/otohlYYQ#EH4bNecPhCkhoy78S36Wd1YwRULpuxms2b0WLtddLj8

Scaling in the preset (pass0) is to be corrected:

filter_linear0 = false
scale_type0 = source
scale_x0 = 3.0
scale_y0 = 1.0
alias0 = StockPass

Looks very nice with x-scaling.

7 Likes