New CRT shader from Guest + CRT Guest Advanced updates

Pretty sure that is the file size of the ROM, not a resolution size

3 Likes

Capacités techniquesModifier

La Turbografx-16 connectée au lecteur TurboGrafx-CD

• Processeur : CPU 8 bit, un HuC6280 (custom d’un MOS 65c02) à 7,16 MHz, mode 1.79 MHz disponible pour lecture/écriture dans la Backup Ram (BR).
    • RAM : 8 kio, SRAM 100 ns.
  • HuC6260 (VCE) : Video Color Encoder, contient les données des palettes (tiles, sprites), défini la fréquence de fonctionnement du VDC de la console (dot clock), fournit le signal vidéo de sortie. Cette puce n’est pas un GPU.
  • Couleurs : 32 palettes de 16 couleurs, 16 palettes pour les tiles et 16 palettes pour les sprites (482 couleurs affichables simultanément).
  • Palette : 512 couleurs, 9 bits.
  • GPU : HuC6270A (VDC) 16 bits, câblé en 8-bit côté CPU.
    • RAM vidéo : 64 ko, 16 bits, SRAM 140ns.
    • Résolution : 256 × 240, 336 × 240 et 512 × 240 pixels classiques. Le GPU (VDC) étant programmable, de nombreuses résolutions sont possibles (256 × 224, 320 × 240, 280 × 224, 344 × 240, 565 × 240,etc …).
    • Nombre de sprites : 64 sprites de taille 16 × 16, 16 × 32, 16 × 64, 32 × 16, 32 × 32, 32 × 64 pixels affichables simultanément à l’écran, dont 256 pixels sprites sur une même ligne, soit 16 sprites 16 pixels de large ou 8 sprites 32 pixels de large…
    • Scrolling V/H hardware programmables au pixel.
    • Interruptions Horizontales programmable à la ligne sur toutes les lignes (celles en VBLANK comprises)
    • Interruptions verticale (VBLANK), timer, collision sprite 0, sprites overflow, DMA .
    • Possibilité d’afficher ou pas les sprites et/ou le background .
    • DMA programmable pour transferts VRAM->VRAM pendant le VBLANK, 6.3ko en mode H32, jusqu’à 12,6ko en H64.

I was wrong as the truth is important. I think it’s 384*256 to confirm. https://www.gamesdatabase.org/mame-rom/nspirit

As you see the vertical can not be integers… Ex 1920*1080p
Vertical aspect 1080/256 = 4.218 ( bad scanline)…

So me playing in 4k. 3860/284=10.0520 ( I have artifacts in ninja spirit mask and scanline) You if you are in 1080p you are good in horizontal 1920/384 =5 ( you are good with a 1080p screen in horizontal not my case in 4k for example).

2 Likes

It’s very close but not quite identical. Zoom in on my photo and you can see the vertical RGB phosphors. One way you can tell an RGB subpixel mask is working properly is that the subpixel order will appear reversed in a photo (BGR if the LCD is RGB), which you can see in my photo. This is because the magenta-green mask results in the following when using RGB subpixels:

RxBxGxRxBxGx etc.

However, at normal distances the vertical RGB phosphors blend into what appears to be a solid black line. The black and white mask is a good enough approximation of what the mask looks like at normal distances. You do lose some dynamics using the black and white mask, but it’s a decent compromise for some subpixel layouts such as RGBW. I would probably be satisfied with such a display.

magenta-green aperture grille pattern is mask 0 in GDV and the black and white aperture is mask 7 unless this has changed since the last time I updated :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

decent compromise for some subpixel layouts such as RGBW. I would probably be satisfied with such a display. Totally agree I am 100% satisfied, with the guest advanced rev2 shader on my oled wrvb… Always a pleasure to share with you. Yes you have seen my pictures of secret of mana on oled wrvb. I have nothing to add, because you say the truth. So thank you all thank you nesguy, because for me debate in respect is important, and I love debating with those who have knowledge. Take care of yourself

4 Likes

Just yesterday I was reading up on that topic because as I was tweaking my presets I wondered why the default fake scanlines resolution in New-pixie_Clone_Smoothed_Rolling-Scanlines_STD_GDV was 216 and not 240. I did some research and came across this:

3 Likes

Those figures he gives might be true for the 80s, if you look at that thread the question was asked why the BBC Micro’s screen was reduced to 200 active lines when the standard signal we hear about today is 240p. 200 was a conserative figure for computer manufacturers at the time, the Atari 8bit computer line started a few years before and Atari gave 192 lines as a conservative max. This was to accomodate some TVs that would have a lot of overscan compared to what was established later. If you look at the Atariage thread I linked to here,

most TV sets in the RGB/S-Video era will likely do more than 216 or 256 lines for PAL unadjusted, altering with service mode allows you to fit substantially more.

4 Likes

Guestr

The last addition if I’m not mistaken is the mask aperture grill trinitron. Which is for me the best rendering of all crt. (I had crt philipps, sony, and other various brand) Are you working on something new? Compatibility vulkan hdr? ( my oled is impatient…) even if I have trouble understanding why it would be superior to the rec709 ( because I already have as much brightness and contrast than my crt which is not at the maximum, on the oled at 80 max contrast with bfi ( - 40℅ brightness ) I have seen things that would be superior for the lut? Colors? I don’t know.

And you guest do you have like me a crt in perfect working condition to see the real thing to compare? Do you need someone to test things on oled? On a sony kvm 1450b crt?

Or do you already have what you need to go where you want to go with your shader? And what is the thing that the shader does that you don’t find realistic? Not perfect? Or things to improve? Or for you your shader is mature? And that it reproduces a crt enough for you?

These are questions for my friend guestR, because this is his thread here, and I don’t forget it… Because without people like you, emulation would be a sadness without name…and for me impossible on modern screen to play retrogaming without mask and scanline…

And to finish the last question. Hunterk says ( no artifact caused by the mask) while it’s not what I see at home… Since I said yesterday that if I don’t use the custom ratio and integer scale aspect I have artifacts caused by the mask… And not the scanline… Example ninja spirit pc engine on 4k screen if I leave without custom aspect ratio integer scale, it does not bother me because I hate games created in 4/3 stretched to 16/9 which is a nonsense for ME (I said everyone is free to do and play as he wants …) But a shader that is called SHADER CRT… is that there is a clear reason, it is imitated a 4/3 crt As the.games were originally created and not as the user believes or wants it to be.

I have a lot of test as 240p test suite…eyes in very good conditions, I do not wear glasses, and I always have my crt to compare the.real thing. For the aspect ratio, the colors, the contrast, the overscan and so on. Here friends be strong and good continuation.

5 Likes

Said I was done, yet I still find something to tweak :joy:. I’m happy now, though. Don’t think I can do anything else. Well, until I get a new 4K TV next year and start over.

I enjoy taking screenshots and zooming in.

7 Likes

nice shot :). Should it resemble a consumer trinitron?

Here`s my first attempt at recreating a sony feeling w the guest-dr.venom shader but not the advanced version, I can’t run that wo taxing my cpu to death…

If anyones interested I can post the parameters…

Wow the compression on here really alters the feeling of screenshots hahaha

4 Likes

@foundation Thanks.

Tried to, but not really. Due to my LCD TV, I just adjusted to what I could make look best for this display. Hoping that when I get my new 4K Sony early next year, I can take advantage of the shader a lot more at higher resolutions.

1 Like

Ok I just got a trinitron feeling of the aperture grille then. Do you think 4k will make a big difference to the look of the shader? I just switched to 1080 from 720 a few months ago hahahahaha…

2 Likes

From what I have seen from other peoples images, yeah, I’d say it looks better at higher resolution. I’m holding out for the new QD-OLED screens from Sony, so if it doesn’t look pretty great I’ll be slightly sad lol.

2 Likes

ok thanks fo the answer

Nice! These look yummy! Great job!

5 Likes

Rest assured, I recently upgraded my PC monitors to 4k. Using mask 7 (Trinitron #3 I think.) Using the 4k mask size, looks incredible!:star_struck:

6 Likes

thanks a ton also to the creators

6 Likes

Here’s my attempt at recreating childhood-memories of me and my friend playing super star-wars on his tv. Forgot the brand. No sony. Think it was grundig or something… lol

It’s the normal dr-venom-ntsc preset. Not advanced again. But tweaked This shader is a blessing. :slight_smile: Now i finally can use bsnes w a decent shader and don’t have to switch to snes9x all the time for royale

Heres the screenshot:

I can post parameters if someone wants them.

6 Likes

if guest r want to see live his aperture trinitron shader on oled 4k.

I shot my panasonic 4k oled wrgb tv with border trinitron, and I replaced my shader with guest advanced revision2, I’m sorry about the low resolution of the video, it’s just a camera that can make videos but it’s not special, so it’s going to be shot in 720p, but that’s just so you get the direct rendering of the tv, not a screenshot.

shader aperture grill guest advanced rev2 on oled4k panasonic ez950 55inchs live video of the rendering the video is 119 mo download and read with vlc on pc, vlc reads the format well, even hdr videos for those who are hdr can use vlc, good player. this video is not captured in hdr. but my oled is in rec 2020.

I listened to the sound of the video… I have a blatant problem with one of my fans in my tower… I’m the one who assembles my towers, 1 of my 3 top fans, when it’s below 500 rpm it makes noise, at 800 rpm it’s perfectly quiet. and at 3000rpm it makes as much annoying noise as at 500 rpm… so direction bios msiz97 set to 800 rpm no more problem… or I put oil in the ball bearings. :joy: but it’s crazy how the camera that filmed the video captured this noise.

VIDEO

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12W4QAgCJ1PV19KELyjUWbMDSEG5AWCcy/view?usp=sharing

See you soon.

2 Likes

try to capture the bfi of the oled4k Bfi (black frame insertion) when i first compared the panasonic oled to my panasonic 1080p plasma, i was surprised to see my plasma sharper in motion… i was a little disappointed even. then i tried bfi and what a relief to see as sharp as my plasma 900 lines of motion vs oled 300 lines without bfi… that’s three less anyway… and i compare to a sony kvm 1450b crt which is incredibly smooth without remanence.

so i tried to capture this function for those who are interested, all those who have an oled 4k and bfi and who do retrogaming… the difficulty to grasp the difference and to shoot it is complicated… I don’t know if you will see a difference, but in reality it’s huge on the video true cinema Bfi Off blurred cloud in motion custom Bfi ON clear cloud in motion

I simply copied the preset of my custom tv to true cinema and then compensate for the difference in brightness because the bfi lowers the brightness by 40%, I hope my explanations are clear and that I can make myself understood. the bfi is the only way to get close to the fluidity of my crt,

it is impressive to see this fluidity on modern oled tv screen. with the depth of blacks, 4k, hdr, guestr advanced rev2 shader it’s a pleasure to the point where i sometimes hesitate to turn on my crt, because i have a perfect geometry on the oled that no crt can match

so oled you have the depth of blacks like crt, with bfi you have the fluidity of crt, with oled you have the nits to match crt in contrast and brightness, and with the right shader, it’s a pleasure to see. and what i notice is that when the bfi is active, it makes a rollover of the display a black bar that goes down vertically like when i shoot my crt, except that this effect is not due to shader settings but well is the bfi effect of panasonic; you see nothing in front of the oled tv, but you shoot it. (only visible on video)not irl

except for those who are very sensitive like i could see a flicker in 1080p24 on panasonic plasma, but the image was so much more natural in 24hz like real cinema. and the bfi on the panasonic oled is very well mastered in 60hz, and even when i switch to 50 hz with the bfi adding black frames to the image it doesn’t bother me at all, less than the 480i interlace effect on my trinitron crt, for those who know.

guestr again thank you for your work it’s incredible my friend, it depotes seriously your shader (French expression that can be misunderstood or not understood) thank you for aperture trinitron guest advanced rev2 :heart_eyes:

video bfi on vs off

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hLorsWgmOX8-mT76IA88CA4pJrf4F1i6/view?usp=sharing

2 Likes

How does the color-space feature work? Do any of you guys use it? I’m sort of overwhelmed by how one would use it? Is there an example?

Also is a mask just a picture like a jpeg or a png we use like an overlay in ra?

3 Likes