New CRT shader from Guest + CRT Guest Advanced updates

Hi @guest.r, could you please elaborate a little on what bloom distribution effectively does? What are we talking about, intensity, effect across the screen, popping up color? I’m trying to reach the soft spot there. To me it seems it skyrockets saturation, above all things. Thanks!

2 Likes

Bloom distribution affects how bloom is added from darker colors to brighter colors. Increasing the value means more bloom over middle and darker toned spectrum.

It also affects how mask strength is mitigated, as stronger bloom values are intended to use with increased mask strength.

3 Likes

I’m trying to achieve a low TVL slotmask look on my 4K TV (LG C1 with WBGR subpixel structure) using this shader, but I’m having trouble understanding what are the best masks and slotmask sizes for the job.

Something like this screenshot from @guest.r, but with the correct brightness:

Slotmask4k

Can anyone help?

1 Like

This is not a low TVL slotmask. That’s more akin to a high resolution slot mask CRT monitor.

A low TVL slotmask will have maybe 1-2 visible triads per scanline, as opposed to the 2-3 you see here.

Masks will not appear the same IRL as they do in a screenshot due to the way the display’s subpixels interact with the mask. It’s a complex subject but the short answer is that for WRGB displays your best option is to use a black and white mask.

I was trying to do low TVL slotmask as well. My goal is something like this.

Thought I came close with this gdv preset at 2K but I couldn’t make it as sharp as I like:

2K slotmask

1 Like

Oh, my bad, that picture is a bad example then. Are @sonkun and @Fab’s presets, for example from here considered low TVL, or more like medium? Because that’s the kind of look I’m looking for, but for 4K resolution.

Does the pixel layout matter, considering I don’t want a mask that’s too small? I managed to get Royale to look somewhat good at 4K, but the mask looks a bit misaligned with the output pixels (see pic bellow) So I wanted to see if it’s possible to do something better with Guest Advanced at 4K.

Try maybe Mask 8 at Mask Size 2. If my calculations are correct, at 4K that should result in roughly 360 TVL, and since it’s a BW mask, it should avoid OLED subpixel issues. Getting lower TVL than that would probably necessitate a new, even coarser mask, maybe three white pixels to one black one (Mask 8 is two-to-one).

2 Likes

I like that look, could you please share?

Why is “Gamma Input” set to 2.0 by default on Guest Advanced? Shouldn’t it be something around 2.4 or 2.5?

You probably mean the NTSC version. Scanline gamma and mask gamma are 2.4. Horizontal filtering gamma is a bit lower to honor the original ntsc horizontal interpolation. With this shader you could set it even lower tbh.

1 Like

Yeah, I meant the NTSC version. Thank you for the explanation!

I don’t fully understand how ntsc horizontal interpolation works, but I trust the default value is accurate.

1 Like

I tried that but I could not get a satisfactory look, compared to Royale.

Is this what the mask is supposed to look like? (Ignore the lack of brightness compensation). image

At a distance it looks much better than here, obviously.

1 Like

Yep, that’s your best option for a WRGB display. The Royale masks will not display properly on a WRGB display.

And yes, it is somewhat disappointing (IMO). WRGB displays are not recommended for CRT shaders.

1 Like

You could increase the Slot Mask height to 2.0 if not already.

1 Like

@Nesguy Indeed after applying bloom, the mask I posted above looks pretty good from a distance.

But I must disagree with you with regards to WRGB. I’ve tried mask 9, which has the triad colors on my LG C1 (which is WBGR if I’m not mistaken) using this same exact setup and it looks darn good, if not better than the black & white mask 8.

I believe this becomes a non-issue because the mask’s size is doubled, invalidating the impact of the subpixel structure, as each color of the triad is represented by 2 columns of pixels instead of just 1. Am I wrong in my assumption?

@guest.r Oh yes, Slot Mask height is already set to 2 in that screenshot.

EDIT: My bad. Mask 9 is magenta green, not RGB.

It just depends on what you’re willing to settle for, but yes doubling the mask size is a decent compromise solution but it might still look weird at subpixel distances. If all you’re after is something that looks nice at normal distances, that’s easily achieved.

Nothing else currently available is as accurate as the Megatron shader on an HDR RGB display, amazing stuff happening in that thread.

Are you sure it’s not yellow cyan? Mask 0 is magenta green.

1 Like

@Nesguy

Here are 2 pictures of white displayed on mask 10 on my LG C1. At this size, is the pixel structure still a problem?

With bloom disabled on the shader:

Bloom enabled:

Without bloom it’s obviously a lot better, but there are a couple “issues” still present.

The reds and blues have obvious vertical black lines between them, while the “greens” are tightly grouped. And there is no color uniformity, it’s actually going red, orange, yellow, cyan, green, cyan, blue. So yeah, I’d say subpixel structure is still a problem, as expected.

The spacing of the black crossbars is also “wrong.” If you want the triads to have the right shape then the mask height would need to be doubled.

I would say, if you’re happy with the way it looks, go for it. Don’t go down this rabbit hole of chasing perfection, you’ll just wind up constantly frustrated. Once you see certain things you can never unsee them and then they become the only things you can see.

2 Likes

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it. :slight_smile:

I tried to double the height but it looked horrible for some reason.

Yeah, I agree, one cannot chase perfection in a simulation. Sooner or later I’ll jump to the HDR shader anyway, as soon as Linux gets support, so for now I guess Royale will do.

As a bonus, here’s what Royale looks like at about 50% grey in my preset:

I looks much more coarse than the GA I posted above, but for some reason this looks better for me at 4K at a distance.

Pretty sure this is just a two color mask on a 4K, looks great to me as long as you don’t zoom in.

You might try the black and white aperture grille with double phosphor width. @nfp0

1 Like