New CRT shader from Guest + CRT Guest Advanced updates

CRT-Guest-Advanced-Hires mask 10 with stagger 2 and interpolation 5 is great when used with blargg’s shaders

not only it feels like a pc monitor but it really smoothens the image

also it works well under 1080p or using integer scaling under snes9x slang

i still wish to see this ported to dosbox ECE, even if there is now the reshade port of it, Guest pretty much became my number 1 replacement over royale xm29.

2 Likes

Hello, guest.r. I got a question about your color profiles.

Couple of years I have tried various shaders to reproduce the same color of my Sony PVM-14L2.

There were many shaders that imitate sony trinitron, but it seems to be more focused on appearance(shape) than color.

Then I tried your color profile 5 (trin) of this shader and it matched amazingly! I wonder how you did it. Did you just rely on your eyes to make adjustments?

Unlike the standard colors, the Sony Trinitron series seems to have its own color tuning. I think that’s the tricky part.

And I would like to know if there is a tip for expressing the color of trinitron like this, but setting it to 6500k instead of 9300k.

3 Likes

Dr. Venom provided this profile from the Sony Trinitron specs paper as i remember. There is one more specific profile for a Philips model too (4.0), just to mention it. In general it’s not so common to get across one.

Currently there is one trinitron profile at D65, namely if you set ‘Lut colors’ to 1.0 (other color profiles are not to be used in this case). Alternately using color profile 5.0 and changing color temperature is also an option, but not this accurate.

3 Likes

OK so there are a few things here that I think I can help fix for you. Clearly moire bothers you. The simplest way to fix this is to disable curvature. In addition I would make these changes (for 4K):

[CRT SCREEN SCALING]

Integer Scale Mode = 1

Base Integer Scale Max Height % = 100

[CURVATURE]

Curvature Mode = 0

Also, as @RealNC said, make sure you are outputting native 4k (if your PC is not able to then you will have to live with it, unfortunately) I have a lot of experience fiddling with with these settings so feel free to share any other concerns. Feel free to DM me.

BTW I just realized that some of these options are from HSM Mega Bezel, sorry :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

i love crt shaders, but most of them are based of svideo or composite in ntsc.

i would love to have rgb scart mode with support of pal.

2 Likes

New Release Version (2022-06-18-r1):

Notable changes:

• as i remembered my new lut png’s aren’t compressed yet, now compressed lut’s are included
  • bloom distribution parameter range increased to 3.0
  • old mask 12 removed (it can be ‘achieved’ with mask 11 and bgr layout)
  • better mask 11 controls
  • new mask shift/stagger options with negative parameter values

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/xsJV1YjS#QzXXO2kKtc-22LZtZr4FCkrN0WdLWtO5_cc-0G8U_Kg

15 Likes

Well that was a short break lol. Good to see you back with another update

5 Likes

Just some tweaks for the repository update. :wink: Still have to write some documentation, i’ll probably use my ‘short break’ for this. :grin:

11 Likes

I just noticed that there’s 7 choices for “CRT Profile,” but only 5 are documented. EBU, P22, SMPTE-C, Phillips, and Trin. I assume those are for choices 1 to 5? What do -1 and 0 do? I assume 0 is “no profile”. -1?

2 Likes

Profile 0.0 is sRGB, -1.0 skips the matrix color alteration completely. Default settings should be neutral though, since Colorspace default entry matrix is also sRGB.

2 Likes

With adjustments I managed to have good colors (to my liking) with the masks at full strength. For BlastEm I like darker and more saturated colors.

I still can’t get the most visible mask on the whites, I had to change the mask clipping to not lose shine, but it looks satisfying to me. With adjustments I managed to have good colors (to my liking) with the masks at full strength.

For BlastEm I like darker and more saturated colors. I still can’t get the most visible mask on the whites, I had to change the mask clipping to not lose shine. but it looks satisfying to me. But I would need a real crt to compare, as it already looks pretty good to me.

Streets-of-Rage-2-USA-220622-201323 Great-Circus-Mystery-Starring-Mickey-Minnie-The-USA-220623-022213 Jewel-Master-USA-Europe-Rev-A-220623-035348 Shinobi-III-Return-of-the-Ninja-Master-USA-220622-202820 Sonic-The-Hedgehog-Japan-Korea-220622-200932

5 Likes

Just to make sure I understand you correctly, so if I want to use what was before mask 13, I should use mask 12, right? No need to select BGR on RGB? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

@guest.r, I would like to use the borders feature, but because I use integer scale, the top and bottom borders don’t show up.

I’d like to know if there’s a way you could develop an option where these borders go down and up proportionally so that they’re visible. That would be very helpful and a big differentiator!

Otherwise, I can only visualize these edges with “Aspect Ratio Y Pos.” 0 and “Aspect Ratio Height” 1080.

2 Likes

That’s correct, former mask 13 is now mask 12. Mask layout option works with all masks beside 7&8, former mask 12 was a BGR duplicate of mask 11, so it became obsolete. Not much more to it. :smiley:

Edit: it should work as intended with overscale integer scaling, maybe you are running an older version from the presets folder. ?

3 Likes

“Integer Scaling: Odd:Y, Event:‘X’+Y = 3.00” is exactly what i need.

:heart_eyes:

Thanks!

1 Like

Just for the record, this shader does not need integer scaling. No matter how close I look, integer vs non-integer look the same.

1 Like

After my “sharpened sub-pixel tint” problem was solved I had to give a few things up because of issues with non-integer scaling, so reading this made me double check.

And yup, problems with vertical deconvergence (what I gave up), slot mask, and certain beam profile configs (minor issue most visible at extremes) are still present when emulating 6th gen (480i/p) systems without integer scaling.

If you’re going for something more along the lines of a Trinitron and only playing games 240p or less then you probably won’t run into any issues .

1 Like

New Release Version (2022-06-27-r1):

Notable changes:

• Mask Bloom added. It should work better with most masks compared with normal bloom. My observations were that ordinary bloom works best with slotmask reinforcements. This new additional implementation has some other nice properties, like colors aren’t clipped, since it’s sort-off multiplicative and not additive. Works best with strong mask strengths. Old presets work the same and normal bloom implementation is unchanged though.
  • Halation is slightly altered for a bit stepper falloff on dark transitions.

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/A8gFlAaT#vXD1YfMkz7tab6LRzfMgrrW_YI-ht_wlHm2UR3_ejSE

Example of mask bloom with full mask strength and staggered mask:

17 Likes

This looks interesting, might be time for another shader pack update after I play around with this. Looking forward to seeing what this is about

1 Like

It appears to fix this issue:

The new mask bloom seems to do a better job at preserving the color and not trying to crank things up to maximum bright:

:+1:

4 Likes