New CRT shader from Guest + CRT Guest Advanced updates

Sorry for taking so long. Here you go.

Mind you that I doubled the mask 6’s size as I did on my previous pics, but not mask 12 (old 13), as it’s already 4K friendly without doubling.

Mask 6:

Mask 12:

I might add that mask 12 looks much better. Mask 6 was giving me a weird green tint on the whole screen, even though the original picture is pure white.

3 Likes

That’s precious information for me right there, wasn’t sure which settings to tweak to make Slot Mask for 4k and it was just a few settings to tweak, now I can use those settings to make 4k versions of my presets when I’m ready, thank you.

3 Likes

It’s intentional to a degree, yes. One way to even it is to set the “Slot Mask Strength Bright Pixels” parameter to 0.9 instead to 1.0 with this sort of setup.

You might try the BGR mask layout with mask 6 to get a more consistent appearance.

2 Likes

New Release Version (2022-07-17-r1):

Notable changes:

• Scanline gamma option added to the standard version.
  • Edit: small bugfix.

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/lkZEiJBb#7VKZCCBYKUSk2912-xp6rKkyPNyjSM82rIxgdVdve0Q

12 Likes

Awesome, thanks @guest.r! You Rock! :grinning:

3 Likes

You guys both Rock! Thanks!

CyberLab__Slot_Mask_III_for_CyberLab_or_Core_Blargg_S-Video_or_RGB_Filter.slangp + Blargg_NTSC_Turbo_Duo_SNES_PSX_RGB_CyberLab_Special_Edition.filt

Featuring Scanline Gamma Offset!

3 Likes

Whenever I try to load up the crt-guest-advanced shader I get the following failed error:

=== Build =======================================
Capabilities:  ASIMD
[INFO] Built: Jun  7 2022
[INFO] Version: 1.10.3
[INFO] Git: 8ec1f32
[INFO] =================================================
ERROR: deconvergence.slang:525: 'ffloat' : undeclared identifier 
ERROR: deconvergence.slang:525: '' : compilation terminated 
ERROR: 2 compilation errors.  No code generated.

[slang]: Failed to compile fragment shader stage.
[Vulkan]: Failed to compile shader: "/data/user/0/com.retroarch/shaders/shaders_slang/crt/shaders/guest/advanced/deconvergence.slang".
[Vulkan]: Failed to create preset: "/data/user/0/com.retroarch/shaders/shaders_slang/crt/crt-guest-advanced.slangp".
[Vulkan]: Failed to create filter chain: "/data/user/0/com.retroarch/shaders/shaders_slang/crt/crt-guest-advanced.slangp". Falling back to stock.

Just to confirm all the other shaders in the folder load up except vanilla guest advanced.

1 Like

Thanks, it’s fixed now. Was a small bug. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

All good now and no problem, it happens lol

Thank you! But are we not better off just using the “Bloom Strenght” parameter instead of “Mask Bloom” when using slotmasks? What’s the difference between the two bloom settings.

I’m sorry if this was already answered previously. :stuck_out_tongue:

I tried both RGB and BGR layouts, but the result was very similar. I also noticed weird tints on the greyscale when I was using CRT Royale. Maybe it’s got to do with the subpixel structure of my TV.

But RGB masks, like mask 12, look really good and neutral on the greyscale, so I’m happy!

Don’t take my settings as gospel. I’m still learning how this shader works myself. :stuck_out_tongue:

I hope more slotmask lovers with 4K TVs show us their presets.

2 Likes

It’s good enough for now at least lol

1 Like

I’ve got a few 4K Optimized Slot Mask presets in my shader preset pack.

1 Like

@Cyber Thanks. I’ll take a look!

I want to see what mask and slotmask related parameters you use.

1 Like

Maybe not in a Mask Bloom demonstration… :grin: Ordinary bloom tends to wash out ntsc artifacting a bit and produces a different mask reduction distribution. I never felt too comfortable using ordinary bloom with some Mario games, for example.

Mask bloom also doesn’t clip colors when cranked up, better preserves horizontal transitions because colors aren’t pushed up, works nice with mask gamma and has different mask presence in darker scanline parts.

But ordinary bloom is, as you mentioned it, very nice with slotmask setups and normal mask setups when using lesser bloom strength.

Both blooms can also be combined though.

On a RGB panel using the shader’s BGR layout there should be more consistent subpixel spacing, removing green or magenta vertical ‘lines’. But it might really be the TV’s subpixel structure.

2 Likes

I tried all the preset files for your shader, but nothing like the one shown in your picture, how do you set it up like the picture?

2 Likes

Try:

• Scanline type 2.0
  • CRT mask type: 5.0 or 6.0
  • Mask Strength: 0.2
  • Mask Strength low: 1.25

Or copy these parameters into an crt-guest-advanced saved preset:

gsl = "2.000000"
shadowMask = "5.000000"
maskstr = "0.200000"
mcut = "1.250000"

Ofc. you can tweak it a bit.

3 Likes

It still feels a little different from the above picture, especially the scan lines are a bit obvious…1658129985140.jpg

2 Likes

You can tweak the shader a bit more to your liking. It has plenty of parameters to correct the appearance. Although it’s sometimes quite hard to compare the settings on different images.

Screenie:

Settings:

gsl = "2.000000"
scans = "1.100000"
h_sharp = "4.500000"
s_sharp = "1.000000"
shadowMask = "6.000000"
maskstr = "0.100000"
mcut = "1.250000"
3 Likes

That’s a relatively old screenshot from a relatively old preset. The characteristics of some of the parameters might have changed/evolved over time since it was made.

In order to get that look, you might need to enable integer scaling as well as turn down most if not all parameters which add any blur, glow, halation, horizontal or vertical filtering.

Maybe @Nesguy can assist since I think he might have originally made this preset. Why not head over to one of his threads and download one of his newer ones?

3 Likes