New CRT shader from Guest + CRT Guest Advanced updates

The parameter name is “Horizontal sharpness”, it works differently as with other shaders and there is no substractive sharpness. More is still more sharp and less parameter value more smooth though.

Best look at the bottom part of the parameters for it.

1 Like

I’ve been using the Blend Mode setting and I love the way Blend Mode 1 can make completely new colours in Turbo Duo games, without lowering the resolution as much but the Blend mode 1 seems to bleed colours outside of “lines” a bit much. Is there anyway I could dial it down a bit to find a comfortable middle ground?

I generally like my Turbo Duo to look sharp but this complete and perfect blending of dither patterns intrigues me.

I’ve adjusted the Adaptive Sharpness to -5.5. Don’t want to go overboard with Sharpness to introduce too many unwanted artifacts though.

1 Like

Hi Guest, last question for you. I’ve now found my comfort zone with your shaders together with the Mega Bezels, and I’m missing one last piece. I had seen in some of your past posts that you shared a list with all the mask types your shader uses and what exactly they do, but I lost track of that post and can’t find it again. Could you please re-share this, and what would you recommend I use on a 1080p to have a good “TV” experience and a good “Arcade” experience with such a monitor? A thousand thanks.

3 Likes

Okay, now I get it. As resolution scaling goes up, Colour Bleeding goes down. Pretty neat.

1 Like

With gdv mini you can essentially use most masks. With guest-advanced best 1080p masks are masks:

• 0.0, 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 5.0, 6.0, 7.0, 9.0

It’s really hard to tell someones preferences in ahead, so it’s necessary for the user to try them in first person.

4 Likes

I think this is the info you are looking for:

-1.0: no mask
0.0: a dense magenta-green mask
1.0: Lottes RGB mask with a some sort of slotmask
2.0: Lottes RGB mask
3.0: Lottes - a bit enlarged and shifted RGB mask
4.0: Lottes - 2x enlarged and shifted RGB mask, looks nicer with 4k+
5.0: a dense magenta green mask (trinitron mask controls)
6.0: RGB mask (trinitron mask controls)
7.0: BW mask (trinitron mask controls)
8.0: BWW mask (trinitron mask controls)
9.0: magenta-green-black mask (trinitron mask controls)
10.0: RGBX mask (trinitron mask controls)
11.0: Red-Yellow-Cyan-Blue mask (nice for 1440p+)
12.0: Red-Magenta-Cyan-Green mask (similar to 11.0, but for BGR panel layout)
13.0: RRGGBBX mask (looks nice with 4k+)
6 Likes

Thanks a lot guys, you’ve been a great help.

4 Likes

Hi @guest.r, a quick question: could you add the Internal Resolution (the very first one) function of the HD version to the standard version too?

I like to use it for some sort of blending, but I’ve found the standard and the HD version to be quite different out of the box, as the latter seems to eat a noticeable amount of detail, due to its thicker lines. I’ve tried messing with sharpness and other things to resolve the problem, but with no success, so I would like to have the best of both worlds.

Here’s an example of what I mean, standard first, HD second, default settings (look at the outline and the effects of the ship, the number on the left, the details and the lines of the metal structure).

3 Likes

Try lowering the “sharpness detail” setting and see if that helps. I literally put that down to zero to bring certain pixel details “back” that don’t show out of the box with default settings.

I remember someone on the discord server brought that to my attention playing Super Mario Bros 2 on nes when I first switched over to the hd shader, on the first stage inside the building where the vine is that you climb a user pointed out that part of the left side of the vine the pixels appeared to look dim. After I noticed that I couldn’t un see what they saw until I fixed it by lowering that setting. You also get some soft blending as well the lower you put that setting so it also gives you what you want there as well.

Try it out and see if it helps under the filter settings, although everything I mentioned was about the hd version I assume that should work on the standard or even ntsc version as well.

3 Likes

This is a tricky one, since the standard version uses 6 original pixels for horizontal blending and it’s a fixed number. It’s more then enough for standard emulation content though.

The HD version had this completely reworked and can read much more pixel, also has different blending logic. This is very useful when dealing with higher resolution content. And the ‘internal resolution’ feaure completely bases/depends on it.

You can tweak the horizontal sigma to like 0.35 and substractive sharpness to 0.5 in the HD version, then it should look more what you are after. The HD blending is a bit harder to setup, but is more versatile in the end.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply, understood! I’ve followed @sonkun’s advice and I’ve managed to get an almost identical image, I’ll look into those settings too then!

3 Likes

Good evening Guest, I kindly need a clarification: what is Substractive sharpness ringing for? I brought this value to 1 together with the substractive sharpness, and I brought the horozintontal sharpness to 2.60. The results are spectacular for me and I took a cue from an old post of yours to get there, but I didn’t quite understand what I did. However beautiful, if one knows how to use your work he can do great things.

3 Likes

I tried changing to Vulkan and updating the CRT Guest, but it said that the shader presets could not be loaded. What could be the problem? Steam version of Retroarch.

1 Like

Glad you found a nice combination of settings. Ringing: it’s something situational, mainly increasing the local contrast by highlightning or/and darkening colors on interpolation edges (where different colors meet). The image looks a bit sharper with this setting increased.

I didn’t recieve any error reports on non-working presets for quite a while now. You can re-download the shader pack from this thread and try to load the presets from the zipped folder. It’s probably some path issue.

3 Likes

Good evening Guest, I apologize in advance but your shader is so full of possibilities that it would be a shame not to know and use it, and in this sense I need to know please: the values ​​of “Smart edges effect strength limit” and “Smart edges smoothing threshold” what exactly do they do and, if I increase or decrease these values, what impact do they have on the image? Thank you very much for your patience with me.

2 Likes

Hey!

These values are here for fine tunning the “Smart Edges Effect Strength” effect. Without it enabled (means the parameter value is greater than 0.0) they have no impact on the image.

“Smart edges effect strength limit”

It’s the maximum sharpness of the interpolation edges, regardless of the strength of the effect. It’s here to produce an overall more balanced appearance. More strength makes more edges sharper though.

“Smart edges smoothing threshold”

Not all edges get sharpened, some remain smoother. If you want more edges to get sharper then lower the value, otherwise you can increase it.

Ofc. it’s quite simple to test these features, i guess these guidelines were helpful enough.

7 Likes

Good morning and thank you very much Guest, you are always very kind, have a nice day.

3 Likes

Good evening everyone. I was asking for the help of the community: I would be thrilled to see your work and know your settings regarding the guest advance shader, to be able to compare them with mine, learn new things and be able to try them myself. I have a 1080p monitor, and I’m aware that apart from the slotmask I can’t expect too much from it. Thanks to anyone who will contribute to my research. P.S. : I’m new on the forum, I don’t know if my request is right to make it here or create a separate thread, let me know Guest, if anything I delete the message and created a dedicated thread.

1 Like

You can get excellent results using Trinitron (Aperture Grill) masks at 1080p.

1 Like

Hi Cyber, by Aperture Grill do you mean the mask 6 ?

1 Like