New CRT shader from Guest + CRT Guest Advanced updates

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so why not share a screenshot of what you’re experiencing and maybe one of the more experienced users here might be able to understand what is going on and what might be needed to get things where you desire?

2 Likes

Sorry Cyber, They are generated as some marks according to the plain colors.

Scalefx (1.0 in y-scaling) + Guest Advanced (internal resolution 0.5) Scalefx (1.0 in y-scaling) + OSSC

With Guest Advanced (also with Smooth Advance Screen Only) some lines are more marked than others, for example in the sky of the capture. With OSSC I have the desired finish but also those black stripes at the top and bottom that I can’t remove.

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay let’s start from here. Opposite Direction Multiplier = 200 seems to have successfully doubled the number of scanlines while maintaining perfect alignment with the graphics. This seems like part of what you want to achieve here. You can’t really use in between values here without ugly misalignment.

ScaleFX is a separate entity so if you got good scanline doubling with Opposite Direction Multiplier = 200 then you should keep that setting and combine it with adjusting the Scale FX threshold.

Don’t forget to set the Scanline Dir Multiplier to 100 as this also limits ScaleFX smoothing.

You might also want to tweak the Scanline type to a darker one and adjust some of the beam settings for a greater scanline effect.

Also try one of the Max Int. Scale Screen Only Presets in the Mega Bezel Preset Variations Folder.

1 Like

I appreciate the time you are taking :blush: I’ve tried various combinations with Mega Bezel including the last one you posted and these are the results:

Screen Only/Max Int Scale

Screen Only/Max Int Scale with zoom

It also keeps generating those errors in the scanlines when I zoom in to try to square the image with my screen. I have tried more combinations with other Screen Only with similar results. In addition, the parameters of Smoothing Scalefx do not appear to me.

2 Likes

The exact preset I used in the above example was _0__SMOOTH__2__Default.slangp.

Make sure your RetroArch settings are adjusted correctly according to the Mega Bezel setup instructions.

I’m using a 4K screen, I don’t know if that might have something to do with it. If you’re getting scanline anomalies you can try increasing the Integer Scale Offset and see if things improve.

When I long press on my cell phone then tap Open in new tab, then zoom in, the scanlines in both of your screenshots look evenly distributed.

If they’re looking strange on your 1440p screen, you might just need to do what I suggested above and increase Integer Scale Offset.

2 Likes

New Release Version (2023-05-25-r2):

Notable changes:

• new ‘no scanline mode’ implementation…works better, is faster
  • scanline deconvergence functionality removed (was succeeded by proper deconvergence)
  • ntsc res. scaling parameter step increased
  • a mask zoom bug fixed
  • some optimizations resulting in notable overall speedup
  • edit: some more fixes

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/dw5FFKbC#Zncyd7zmD0xRr3PeGvE-fT2ZDlRPCfPPl20uBNDHOnE

18 Likes

The shader looks good on my CRT PC monitor despite not supporting 1200p. The only thing I don’t like very much is that it looks a bit blurry. What settings do you recommend to fix this? I am using 896p and 960p

1 Like

You can increase horizontal sharpness and select scanline type -1.0 or integer scaling. Maybe masks aren’t needed since you are using a CRT monitor. Dunno, since i can’t test it since a while.

But if masks look OK then pick your fauvorite one and maybe try the new no-scanline mode to compensate for you low vertical resolution.

2 Likes

New Release Version (2023-05-27-r1):

Notable changes:

• zoomed mask shift / stagger support (for shadowmasks, even total mask sizes)
  • zoomed mask 10 fixes
  • some mask function refactorings
  • scanline parameter range adjustments

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/YoIQAbLC#ig_8Og1FFZ9KzxUAYEmjBA4Io1U8G9AmWGVuNleqErU

15 Likes

New Release Version (2023-05-28-r1):

Notable changes:

• no scanline mode bug fixed (deconvergence pass)
  • slotmask bug fixed with increased mask size
  • mask zoom support for enlargened (mask size) masks
  • mask “shrink” mode implemented, works very well, still could need more testings…
  • (the idea is to increase mask size and then downsample the mask to desirable width…)

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/ElIA3YhL#wvjjFGahgryDVfsjCoZ_X2iPhmes0dMFZ-TpFQwYkU0

16 Likes

guest.r how far behind is the online updater’s version? I always hesitate to use the latest version you are giving us because i fear that if I hit the online updater for slang it will revert/mess things up…

2 Likes

The online repo version is quite behind now, but you can just copy / paste the latest version over it without much issues, because mostly new features were added with some improvements.

When the latest version gets a bit tested i will ask @hunterk to update the repository.

As a fun fact, the version from a year ago is only like 2.5% faster with default settings, so there is really no need to worry about performance loss.

6 Likes

Are there any shader settings that impact performance in a notable way?

1 Like

If you throw in magic glow, bloom, halation, mask bloom and mask interpolation at the same time there is up to 18% performance loss. Up to 20% with deconvergence added on top of all.

Using much more taps in the glow pass is also notable, but not too much.

OTOH interlacing and no-scanline mode increase performance quite a bit.

5 Likes

New Release Version (2023-05-29-r1):

Notable changes:

• ‘BGR’ mask interpolation fix
  • some small fixes
  • some additional code optimization

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/84JwmQBJ#_YhEUYbIuc_nTxrEdtwgDzm0SjWinGVa1mrxCctpA4I

16 Likes

You’re not playing around lately with these updates, I turn around for 2 seconds and come back and see a new update lol. Good stuff

3 Likes

has there any presets for the reshade ports of late?

i have been out of the loop for a while focusing on other stuff.

2 Likes

No, no presets have been posted in this thread, but stay tuned…

2 Likes

Here is an example of the scaled mask 6 preset:

The catch is now different mask width 4&5 setups are possible, very nice for 1440p and 4k…

15 Likes

Definetely has that Trinitron look. Almost spot on, filter, mask and everything.

3 Likes