New CRT shader from Guest + CRT Guest Advanced updates

Wow, I didn’t know that mask type and size were related to TVL simulation. I aim for 800TVL of the aperture grill like the Sony PVM series on my 4K/RGB array LCD monitor. Could you please let me know which one would be best in this case?

1 Like

Closest to it would be Mask 6 using the BGR subpixel arrangement, or Mask 9.

2 Likes

I have a 1440p monitor and I use mask 10, slot mask width 4, height 2: best option. You could use 11, which is brighter, but less “deep” (10 is RGB, 11 is cyan, magenta and green if I remember correctly).

Edit: 10 is RGBX, 11 is red, yellow, cyan and blue.

1 Like

Mask 11 ends up being the same TVL count as Mask 10, as it uses four pixels to make a complete phosphor triad (red and blue come together to form magenta). It’s a good mask to use if you don’t mind trading a bit of accuracy for twice the brightness output as Mask 10. I use it at 4K myself for N64 games and above.

1 Like

Hey @guest.r or anyone else that may be able to answer this question, for someone using a 1440p monitor that wants to use the Slot Mask with crt mask 6, which slot mask settings should it be? I know that using it on a 1080p monitor you would make the slot mask width 3, slot mask height 2 and slot mask size 1 but what numbers would those 3 settings need to be for a 1440p monitor?

Or do I also have to change the mask to 10 or something like that?

Edit: nvm I found the settings needed it’s mask 10, slot mask width 4, height 2. Can’t believe the answer to my question was just a few posts up lol

3 Likes

I was hopeful about some documentation. Many parameters are quite complex.
This complexity and flexibility is the reason why this shader is so awsome, but it’s not easy to use it without skimming through spread out posts in this thread.

Info like this mask table, for example, is very useful but might be hard to find. It would be nice to have it on some documentation and on the OP for new visitors:

And it would also be nice to have this shader in the main libretro repository. :wink:

1 Like

this one? or is there one I’m missing? https://github.com/libretro/slang-shaders/tree/master/crt/shaders/guest/advanced

3 Likes

Oh my! Silly me, I had completely forgot about it haha!
I’ll update my presets to point to that. Thanks!

2 Likes

Glad to see someone else enjoying Tokkyuu Shirei Solbrain. It’s a great Famicom game.
And it got RetroAchievements recently too (mostly ported from Shatterhand).

1 Like

Here is a wip screenie of new halation implementation.

I find the current official implementation has to struggle quite hard to find it’s purpose.

Screenshot was made with full masks and halation only.

19 Likes

This is gonna look so sexy on my presets, can’t wait :drooling_face: When you post your new update please post the settings you used for that screenie.

2 Likes

That looks gorgeous!

1 Like

Is the whole image more glowy than before?

1 Like

The ‘halos’ around edges are more pronounced. IMO it could look very nice when viewed at a certain distance.

As i remember some arcade machines from way back, the experience was glowy and with good looking colors, also quite bright. Thick glass definitevelly played a role, but i have to use my memory lol. Screenshots looks as good as your display is, good thing to consider.

5 Likes

Speaking of glow, is it possible to implement some kind of “adaptive glow” feature? What I mean is that depending on the kind of image you see the glow will adjust itself automatically. If you’re on a dark screen it adds the right amount of glow to illuminate the screen, if you’re on a bright screen it dims glow to the right level etc. Kind of like how phones have that adaptive brightness feature.

It can function just like the raster bloom setting on how it zooms the image in more or zoom out more depending on the game screen. Just something I thought of not sure if that’s even possible.

2 Likes

These situations are always tricky, because they are also related to mask strength if we are using bloom or halation.

But it’s something to consider in possible future development.

2 Likes

I figured it wouldn’t be something simple you can just throw in there and call it a day. Maybe that can be further looked into in the future if that. Who knows, that might not even be a good idea to add in, could make things worse actually.

In any case I still look forward to your upcoming update to see how this new adjusted halation feature can apply to my presets.

1 Like

New Release Version (2022-10-10-r1):

Notable changes:

• new scanline saturation implementation, scales different with parameter value, looks quite the same with default settings as before (0.40 vs. 0.60)
  • small mask bloom tweaks
  • smoothing added to afterglow
  • new halation implementation with negative parameter values, old presets are safe here
  • existing recent presets shouldn’t be affected by the introduced changes

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/5gh1WaYa#oW7lU20EexbacuUtEnwwTM1bwJUCvIwiCDXFAP2gETw

Feedback is welcome. :smiley:

13 Likes

Man it’s been a while since we seen a update post from you. Gonna take this update for a spin and play around with it. Thank you once again for this amazing shader

3 Likes

@guest.r Here’s what I found by changing TexCoord * 1.0001 to TexCoord on every passes. Everything is centered now.

Default preset with glow to 0.0 TexCoord * 1.0001

Only TexCoord

1 Like