New CRT shader from Guest + CRT Guest Advanced updates

It’s maybe noticable on single(or few) pixel sources and border settings usually eats away a few phosphors, so it doesn’t really matter, but it’s fixable in general.

Edit: fixed now. Please (re)download the new version above.

3 Likes

Also i’ve tested scale_x/y source 1.00000 instead of absoIute 800/600 for gaussian_vertical/horizontal passes,same for bloom. Bloom is centered now and precise,so i tried every bloom/glow settings also on higher resolution like dreamcast or ps2 and i didn’t see any problems.

My gpu utilization did not rise same for temp. Is there any reason not to use source 1.0 ? 1 2 3 4
I took these screenshots before your edit.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s the effect definition. Ideally it would scale to viewport = 1.0, but this would become much more time consuming with more taps involved. With source 1.0 the upscaling would be completely linear, which isn’t good for glow and halation.

2 Likes

New Release Version (2023-02-03-r1):

Notable changes:

• Magic Glow tweaks and tricks (standard and ntsc versions)

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/NtpEDRKJ#Y6XEMTYN-JuWeGLUUSpv4QBzDE1e7ZX4WkvbYXeR6l8

15 Likes

I just started integrating this in the Mega Bezel, and I have to say the results are awesome. :star_struck:

It’s really easy to adjust, and gives that effect of the bright bits really glow and pop that feel like a crt to me (not doing direct comparisons, just feels that way to me). It feels almost like an adaptive local contrast or something.

I find that it’s just great that I can turn the magic glow option on then just increase the glow amount and voila!

@Guest.r, you sir are a genius :slight_smile: :bowing_man:

13 Likes

I don’t know if it’s a bug but with magic glow 1.0 , glow strength gives the same effect with positive and negative values.

1 Like

Good catch. I altered the code this way, otherwise even small ammount of the effect for positive values would dissolve masks very quickly. Most users are used to use positive values and i adapted it to this.

5 Likes

Some testing with mask cutoff 0.40 glow radius 50.0 and glow sigma 15.0,it helps to mitigate the dissolving of mask.

7 Likes

I would like to add that Magic Glow also likes greater parameter values for Glow. The effect is also gamma sensitive. It getts much stronger if input/output gamma values are raised.

Here is an maxed out example:

Also thanks @ProfessorBraun for testing and @HyperspaceMadness for very nice and motivating words.

10 Likes

Thank you for your shader ! :space_invader:

5 Likes

This is how I like my CRT Shader Presets, clean and sharp!

Are we going to be seeing the @ProfessorBraun Shader Preset thread soon?

3 Likes

Oh no, I just like to post to this thread when I’m experimenting with options or when there’s an update to test. And follow the discussion.

Without necessarily including a preset with a screenshot, just for the beauty of the picture. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I understand, I just can’t help but think that those presets might be of great benefit to users, especially new users who are wanting the great looks but may not have a clue where to start.

I’m thinking that eventually the best of the best community presets can be used in an overhaul of the current CRT Shader Preset section in RetroArch in order to provide users with a more seamless road towards getting the most modern and highest quality CRT shader presets out there.

5 Likes

Gotta give it to you guest, this latest update is one of your best ones yet. I was gonna put out my last “hd” pack before converting over to the standard but after trying it out I was forced to halt all operations on the hd pack, in fact hd is pretty much done after today.

I like how the magic glow doesn’t “smother” the pixels like regular glow does, it hits just right and everything looks amazing when you’re playing in a dark room. My biggest trouble so far was tweaking the settings, this is literally my first time ever using the standard advanded guest shader. When I started getting into making presets it was the ntsc version first, then hd. I thought it would be a simple matter of just copying over hd settings to standard but I was in for a rude awakening lol. I pretty much had to start everything over trying to get a similar look to my hd presets and I think I I succeeded.

Here’s my previous hd rgb preset that’s available now:

Here’s my new standard version with magic bloom:

Couple more screenies:

guest just wanna say once again, you are the fucking man. Thank you for the best shader ever.

DL sample pack: https://www.mediafire.com/file/hbcp4gj7w5dk0os/sonkun-crt-guest-advanced-magic-glow-rgb-sample.zip/file

Now I gotta go make some s-video and 2-phase/3-phase ntsc composite presets and get my juicy new updated pack ready. Hope you guys enjoy.

Settings may end up changing a bit by the time I put a pack out I’m still playing with and getting use to the settings.

8 Likes

@sonkun very nice presets indeed. Just want to mention that i forgot to copy the new version into the crt folder and my eyes hurt a bit. :grin: A reminder that the newest version is to be placed properly.

Otherwise the contrast is very good and pixels nice and crisp. :100:

3 Likes

Thank you. I think this is the first time you complimented my presets like this, I feel honored and it lets me know I must be doing something right lol. I can’t wait to put together a composite preset and get this pack out to the people.

What do you mean by new version? You mean the one after you edited your post? If so that’s the one I snagged.

2 Likes

I meant the last regular release:

If someone uses the latest version from online updater, more features won’t work properly, especially magic glow.

2 Likes

Ah yes, that’s the one I grabbed right there so all is good, I got the right update. I grabbed it after you had edited it as well.

2 Likes

Nvm., i guess i should politely ask @hunterk if he could update the repository with the latest version. :smiley:

Meanwhile i very fond “magic glow” has more purposes. It can also create a sort of aura if you tweak it this way.

8 Likes

What glow settings did you use here? I freestyled the glow settings on that sample above just testing the waters.

And yes please get this update to the repository asap, this is the update everyone needs to be using going forward. Plus it will save me from having to tell users to manually go download your update in my shader thread when I post my update soon lol.

2 Likes