Thanks for these pics!

2 Likes

New Release Version (2023-07-14-r1):

Notable changes:

• Base (black) Mask strength fixes

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/F9gWEDxC#_LbvK-4SyoYd4VjtnoGBAntMUzk_muL_d5OGTWO8em4

10 Likes

Nice :grinning:. In wich option does apply that?

2 Likes

It’s related to glow and magic glow, mostly.

2 Likes

It’s in the [CRT Mask Options]. The last one.

2 Likes

Nice, this is what I’m talking about. Here’s a full-strength mask pic to show the base mask and Magic Glow working in tandem:

About the only thing I can think of that would improve this is making it so the slot mask does not show up on the base mask, but only the phosphors. Judging from pics, that’s what should happen on slot mask CRTs.

4 Likes

New Release Version (2023-07-14-r2):

Notable changes:

• Base (black) Mask strength slotmask correction
  • New grade version included with afterglow support

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/J4ggAahC#vp1aSquWex8ii2wsbB2VE5TTbYw_bWHuID0omiE8eb0

13 Likes

Perfection.

I did have to set Magic Glow Mask Strength to 0, though, as that was lighting up the slot mask.

4 Likes

You can see the strips in the dark areas of this CRT photo with the brightness turned up:

7 Likes

Oh damn, I didn’t expect this to come so soon. This is looking like the update that will get me back into the shader lab and start experimenting again. Can’t wait to try this update out, thank you once again @guest.r

5 Likes

Yeah negative values of the regular glow still show the slots too. But it looks like that might be the last thing that needs tweaking and then this feature is good to go, except maybe individual color control to reduce the “gray” effect and help the green stand out more.

3 Likes

Slotmask presence on magic glow mask strength feature is important for other magic glow applications, so it will likely stay in it’s current state. The only feature that might change is regular glow for it’s negative values.

Since we are talking about two different exposures of the phosphors, it might be authentic as it is now. First is external light source exposure (daylight, bulb, camera flash…), second are reflected electrons, which bounce back from the “thick glass” and light the phosphors.

4 Likes

Yeah, those are both external though, relative to the slot mask at least. As far as I know the only thing that should affect that is the electron beam / scan lines, unless there’s something else inside the tube that can light the phosphors through the mask. Maybe halation? I’m not familiar enough with that one.

But most of this glow stuff isn’t “authentic” or “realistic” beyond very low levels anyway, so I’m mostly just concerned with what looks better. And I think a little of the negative glow looks great combined with the ambient-lit phosphors when trying it with slots turned off, so I’m confident it would be great with that change at least.

I actually might even want to use both positive and negative glow combined to different degrees, but I’m not sure that would be possible. Maybe I could just increase the halation a bit or adjust the bloom to balance it more. Not gonna go too crazy playing around with it until it’s in Mega Bezel though.

3 Likes

New Release Version (2023-07-15-r1):

Notable changes:

• Ordinary (negative) glow doesn’t apply slotmask
  • Some glow code optimizations

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/UsYk0a4a#6uBw1KvuoSkgbyDxW_3oRv0FMinjzEh4fKQpWuq_mXI

15 Likes

Very interested on this topic of black phosphors. Maybe you could take shots at different EVs to capture the whole range. Also if you take a RAW photo you can infer from pixel values the CRT nits, if someone is into replicating that.

4 Likes

what is EVs and RAW Photo?

I have a whole range photo here:

4 Likes

For pixel smoothing, halation based setups can look very nice. Ofc. bloom/halation pass parameters can be adjusted too…

9 Likes

Since we’re on the subject of glows and blooms, can we have a short summary of what each of the glows does?

There are ordinary glow, magic glow, negative glows(?), halation and negative halation. This can get a bit confusing for a new user when no descriptions are available.

1 Like

Most of these questions have been asked and answered before right in this thread. I’m not sure but some of the answers might also be found in the readme included with the shader.

I know HyperSpaceMadness did a really detailed readme of all of the Mega Bezel Parameters which covers some of the CRT-Guest Parameters as well but I’m not against an annual or bi-annual readme repost refresher course in the Forum threads.

Then again these functions are mostly WYSIWYG so when you turn a knob if you like what you see then that’s where it should be.

If you go close to the screen and turn all of the knobs one by one, you’ll definitely see what each one does and begin to learn much more about the shaders in general.

1 Like

To be honest I also missed what magic glow does :slight_smile:

Also, priorly knowing what a knob does other than what is visible to the eye, can help to understand how it interacts with others :wink:

2 Likes