New CRT shader from Guest + CRT Guest Advanced updates

Thanks for the update :+1:

I’m a bit confused on the Glow, Bloom and Halation though. Please don’t kill me :sweat_smile:

It would be really nice to understand how these features are related to a real CRT tube. Maybe more people will find it useful.

Is this somewhat close to your effects?

• Glow = simulation of glow effect caused by diffusion / light spreading from the CRT glass face
  • Bloom = ?
  • Halation = simulation of glow effect caused by electrons bouncing under the glass and lighting random phosphors
1 Like

The halation implementation i have added recently is more or less focused on perception with different brightness intensity of ‘point’ light sources, also minding the averaging effect which is happening. But i don’t like to discuss it in this manner.

Bloom and halation are basically the continuation of mask representation while not at full discrete separation, which is an adaptation for modern displays with sharp reproduction and moderate brightness and resolution capabilities. It’s a brightness intensity related continuation of the very basic mask strength implementation, although it’s usable as a general feature.

4 Likes

I decided to put some more effort into this, to make it an appealing independent option, which also means some compromises, but most games should look much nicer. The idea is to start with quite strong basic mask strength and then add halation to round the representation. The new version does less desaturation (commonly appearing when adding ‘glow’), some degree of mask and scanline preservation and somewhat mitigated influence over very dark colors.

Screenshot:

New Release Version (17.01.2021-r2):

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/UsohhKIT#P2GOMFK5xjVsGoFQCpgLXTo1YXt9qZmwYyBpSS4DvTA

11 Likes

I see the new shader has been added to the crt shader folder as well as “venom2” which is what I’ve been waiting for. Will there be a glsl version as well?

1 Like

Have you tried the gl-core video driver? Unless you have an ancient graphics card, you should be able to use gl-core + slang shaders.

1 Like

New improvements, many of them, rely of slang specific 0-1 NPOT texture coordinates, so it’s not a direct translation possible to GLSL. The slang versions are working very nice with the glcore driver, and also, the GLSL version received a set of former updates.

Meanwhile i’m finishing the halation effect. Works quite nice with masks 0,1,5,7 at 1080p. There is also some back stepping involved as a performance progression.

New Release Version (18.01.2021-r1):

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/ElRD2CIQ#ygrcFWiE2cyocBCA3rH5HajAgZS2KpOVuvj4hGt5-Tw

Screenshot: halation + some bloom, mask1

screenie-mask1

10 Likes

Ah I see. The reason I asked is because I’m on Android with no options for glcore so I’m pretty much stuck with the plain glsl driver. In any case I can’t tell you how much I love your shader, glad you added a deconvergence option. Maybe it’ll be possible to add a toggle option for noise/grain

1 Like

Most android devices support Vulkan and thus can use slang shaders, are you on an older device?

1 Like

I recommend you to use slang shaders with Vulkan driver on Android. This is my way and works great!!!

1 Like

It’s possible. Current version is running it on output ‘definition’, hopefully it’s also nice with 4k.

New Release Version (19.01.2021-r1.1):

Notable changes:

• noise added (deconvergence pass). It might be chosen between static and dynamic options.
  • halation effect now complying with scanline and mask preservation code
  • some minor changes.

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/U5xC1JjS#ZjBjfd7hq2QysrXPLvrIc0sd7LgAzI45B7invXJc2ww

8 Likes

Do you have the configuration you used to get the effects seen in your last two screenshots? Also any chance the halation effect will be added into the ntsc version? Love the shader and thanks!

2 Likes

I would also like the halation effect in the ntsc version.

1 Like

Hello i’m a happy beginner user of your shader CRT GUEST DR. VENOM …

I just want to tell you shader is not working correctly in TATE mode WITHOUT integer scale + core provided (res : 1080p with FBNEO core)

seems to working ok with integer scale but i’m not in full screen.

Is it possible to fix that?

1 Like

It’s probably mask related and the end result is heavily dependent form the rotation method used considering aspect ratio. Not much i can do here, since proper mask calculation is at least working with some settings. If i would spoil the masks, then it wouldn’t work even with these. Personally i think that the meaning of doing the rotation after shaders are applied was not yet properly explained to me and it’s therefore hard to project an exact explanation to you guys. :grin: Edit: Maybe some sort of PAR handling…

FBNeo has issues with TATE mode. Try MAME and see if the issue goes away.

1 Like

The problem could be that RA isn’t changing the aspect ratio accordingly when rotating content.
Then particular cores can do the changes themselves internally.

I think there was some commits to do it right but only for the gl driver (not glcore).

I should’ve clarified in my previous post, I can use both slang and glsl gaming on a Shield TV, so far Android doesn’t support glcore so I’m stuck with those two choices. But if slang is the only option for me then that’s alright too, I only use glsl for two cores (n64 mupen and saturn yaba sanshiro) since I get the best results with that driver on those cores so it’s a small nitpick.

1 Like

You are right… FBNEO is the issue !! No issue wiith MAME.

FBNEO developper are informed about this issue ?

Thank you again for your help

1 Like

Implemented in new version.

Halation works quite well with mask 1 and masks 0,2,5,6,7 + slotmask (width 2 for 0,5,7, width 3 for 2,6). A nice way to use it is to select an appropriate mask setup and then add the halation ammount, bloom/brightboost bright might also be included to fade the masks a bit more.

New Release Version (21.01.2021-r1):

Notable changes:

• Halation is now added to hires and NTSC versions.
  • glow can do more halation effect now
  • a couple of small changes

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/U9Qh3YQR#O0Z83TlDckHA44JBEY5Pb3rD1W9WnkswHyddU2HPHiQ

8 Likes

Great shader indeed (even if i only using default preset without tinkering)! Some question if you don’t mind:

1. crt-guest-dr-venom2-hires shader is for 4k resolutions i presume? It looks pretty blurry compared to crt-guest-dr-venom2 on my 1080p display.
  2. In some “hi-res” SNES games (you know, like Seiken Densetsu 3, Marvelous or Rudra’s Treasure) u have curious issue with crt-guest-dr-venom2, these game are like switching resolutions from slightly blurry image to more crisper (i’m using Mesen-S or BSNES cores). Marvelous game even have slight flickering in the main menus. All is normal if i don’t use any shader at all or use interpolation shader (like pixellate or bandlimit-pixel). I will post screenshots later… Thanks in advance!
1 Like